2»

Replies

• Smangieee
    Options
    You can do it!
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think if you have a lot to lose (like I do), it's not unrealistic at all. I started at 216 and lost three pounds per week for the first three weeks, then two pounds per week since then. I know that when I get closer to a healthy weight I won't be able to lose that fast, but for now it's coming off pretty easily and I feel like I must be doing it in a healthy way because I feel better than I've ever felt in my life.
  • DarcieC2389
    Options
    I would set the setting for 1 or 1 1/2 pound weight loss per week. If you end up losing more than that--great! Generally though, there will be weeks where the amount loss per week will be lower, particularly even you had a large loss in one week. I try not to say, I want to lose this much by such and such a date. While we would like to, it takes as long as it takes and we have to be patient.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    2 lbs/week maximum. 1lb/week is what is suggested by the medical community unless you have more than 50lbs to lose to be a healthy weight. More than 1-2 lbs and you risk hurting your body (can cause damage to your organs from what I've read).
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    when I first started here on MFP i put 10lbs per month as my minigoals... yea, well, that worked for the first month and then everything changes...
    5 lbs a month is what my body can handle eating 1200calories per day and exercising for 1 hr 6 days a week,
    Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint!
    I'm ok with 5lbs a month now. As long as it doesnt go up each week... all is well.
    Remember, BABY STEPS!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you have to lose :)
  • jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    I've lost an average of 12lbs a month for nearly 4 months, which is quite deceptive because i lost more at the begining.

1st Month - 20 lbs
    2nd Month - 14 lbs
    3rd Month- 5 lbs
    4th Month (1 week left) - 7 lbs
  • thompson000
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose 11lbs. you might want to set your goal at a lower # just so you dont get discouraged if you can't meet your goal.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Someone probably already said this...but the goals you set for yourself should be based on your personality and how you react to goals. Do you get disappointed if you don't reach a goal? If so, you should set your sights a bit lower so that you can constantly satisfy your goals. If you strive harder when you know a goal has been set for yourself, then set it high, but don't give up if you don't reach it, just appreciate what you DO manage to accomplish. It's all about personality.

She said it perfectly
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I listen to Fat2FitRadio podcasts (religiously) and they recommend 1% of body weight per week. That way you're losing fat but not losing muscle.

For some people that might be 10 pounds a month. For others, it won't be. It's a good way to estimate.

Unless they are 1000 lbs, 1% of ones body weight would never be 10 lbs.

REVISED: You're right. I'm really bad with math. I was thinking week and not month. Sorry.
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I listen to Fat2FitRadio podcasts (religiously) and they recommend 1% of body weight per week. That way you're losing fat but not losing muscle.

For some people that might be 10 pounds a month. For others, it won't be. It's a good way to estimate.

Unless they are 1000 lbs, 1% of ones body weight would never be 10 lbs.

I assume she meant body fat %????

EDIT: Oh neat! I just did the math! That's a good rule of thumb!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I set my goal higher, I work harder to acheive it. Just remember if you dont meet your goal that its ok, just look at the progress you did make!

That's exactly the thought behind it. I feel like if I set it at 10 pounds a month, even though realistically I won't reach that every month, I know I'll push myself harder to get as close to it as possible. :) I just don't want it to be RIDICULOUSLY high lol
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I set my goal higher, I work harder to acheive it. Just remember if you dont meet your goal that its ok, just look at the progress you did make!

That's exactly the thought behind it. I feel like if I set it at 10 pounds a month, even though realistically I won't reach that every month, I know I'll push myself harder to get as close to it as possible. :) I just don't want it to be RIDICULOUSLY high lol

You'll lose more in the first month than in the subsequent months due to water weight. Especially if you weren't much of a water drinker before you started.

I didn't really set any goals for myself other than my main goal. I didn't want to face disappointment if I didn't make them and I didn't want to get complacent if I met them early.
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    10 is too aggressive; but I heard 12 is ok.
    how is 10 agressive but 12 being higher is okay?? did I miss something? LOL ;p
    Anyhoo, I would suggest 6-8 lbs. a month being a positive goal to attain but anything higher depends on how much weight to lose, your meals, and exercise plan and how determined you are! It is far safer to go on the lower end and if you lose more that is such a great emotional boost! As long as you are consistently losing you are going in the right direction, just don't get ahead of your body! We want it now but our body may not be ready yet, do what ya can and your body will do the rest! Good luck hun! <3
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Not at your weight. I weighed 300 when I started and I tracked my calories for a week before starting. I was eating 4-5000 calories a day. I picked 1600 out of my hat( just seemed like a good number) and I lost 10lbs a month every single month for 7 months. I did NOT exercise at all. When you have a lot to lose and you are making a drastic change it is possible to lose a lot fast. But as another poster said, it will slow eventually. My best advice is pick a calorie range you can maintain for a LONG time. You might have to go lower once you lose a decent amount and you won't be able to do that if you start out too low on calories to begin with. Good luck and know that it CAN be done. Oh! 70lbs in the first 7 months but then it took me 2 years 5 months to lose the other 90lbs.
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I lost 10lb in my first month, but I'm coming to the end of my second month now and probably won't lose that much this month (more like 7-8lb). I expect it will slow down further in the coming months. I would say that whilst you *might* lose 10lb a month at first, it is unlikely to be a rate of loss that you can sustain, so setting it as your goal is likely to leave you feeling frustrated and disappointed, I'd aim for something lower, around 1-2lb per week. Good luck!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Your weight loss is likely to change from week to week. Earlier you might lose faster and later you may lose slower. If that goal seems realistic to you then go ahead, but don't be afraid to change it later!