Bananas-friend or foe

Options
Hi
New to the app. Trying to learn as much as possible. Can you all tell me your thoughts on bananas? I was told they are too high on the glycemic index and therefore should be avoided or at least be limited, but so many smoothie recipes call for them. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic or otherwise concerned about your blood sugar? If not, there's nothing specifically wrong with bananas. Even if so, bananas are still OK, they just tend towards higher sugar levels relative to their calories. They're manageable if eaten in moderation.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    because I structure my carb intake later in the day, I have a smaller window to fit in my daily grams - bananas are a great carb source for that so for me, we're freinds :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    They're just a food. I don't eat them often because I don't really enjoy the taste, but lots of people eat them regularly and still meet their weight loss and/or fitness goals.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    yay but only for desserts like nice-cream. They are a higher calorie fruit when im cutting i just cant bring self to pick a sad little banana over a huge plate of some lower calorie fruits/veg often lol. Plus bananas are only yummy to me frozen xD its a texture thing
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If they fit in your calories, they are friend. If not, you should probably avoid them. No one food has magical powers to cause you to gain weight or lose weight outside of the calories.

Snacking on fruit by itself can be a problem for some people because it doesn't fill them up and they go right back to being hungry. But if fruit fills you up, or if you are eating it as a part of a meal or snack that has other components that fill you up, fruit is yummy and nutritious. I eat a banana pretty much every day - in my oatmeal, in a smoothie, or with lunch.
  • karenafrn
    karenafrn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Are you diabetic or otherwise concerned about your blood sugar? If not, there's nothing specifically wrong with bananas. Even if so, bananas are still OK, they just tend towards higher sugar levels relative to their calories. They're manageable if eaten in moderation.

Not diabetic-I’ve been trying to do little to no sugar and little to no carbs. I’ve lost 60 lbs but have 20 more to go and just can’t maintain a no sugar no carb diet. One of my coworkers recommended this app. Thanks for all the feedback! Seems like a great group!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    karenafrn wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Not diabetic-I’ve been trying to do little to no sugar and little to no carbs. I’ve lost 60 lbs but have 20 more to go and just can’t maintain a no sugar no carb diet. One of my coworkers recommended this app. Thanks for all the feedback! Seems like a great group!!!

If you're doing keto or something, the GI isn't particularly relevant. Most fruits are going to be high in sugar and carbohydrates. I would say that for a very low carb diet, most fruit would be off the table except berries.
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Great pre-workout, low(er) glycemic index/load snack, and a good source of potassium (although skim milk has more potassium/calorie). I eat a ton of em.
  • karenafrn
    Options
    I love them but thought they were high on glycemic index and therefore made a persons sugar spike. Thanks!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Neither. They're just food.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I am a type 1 diabetic...bananas don't affect my blood sugar BUT not all bananas are created equal. I buy the smallest ones I can get my hands on.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    We're definitely pals. I wouldn't eat one alone because it wouldn't fill me up, but they fit in nicely in a balanced meal.
  • karenafrn
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    I am a type 1 diabetic...bananas don't affect my blood sugar BUT not all bananas are created equal. I buy the smallest ones I can get my hands on.
    dsboohead wrote: »

• karenafrn
    Options
    Very good point about size! Thanks