Unhealthy/Gross foods growing up

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Zodikosis wrote: »
    For some reason, when I was a really little kid, I just loved butter. I loved it so much I would frequently just take a bite out of the stick when no one was looking. I still like butter, but not that much. :D

On one occasion when I was very young, my aunt let me eat cold homemade butter with a spoon. My parents later told me I kept eating until I nearly shuddered at each bite. I couldn't eat butter after that for many years, except invisibly melted into baked goods as an ingredient, and couldn't stand it cold for even more years after that.

As a child, I liked to eat those frozen breaded fish sticks. . . still frozen.

This next was not a good thing in any way, but my school lunch program (1960s) served gravy as an entrée multiple times a week. I swear!

You'd get one of those 3-section plates. In the big section would be a big heap of instant mashed potatoes with gravy that had some meat shreds/crumbles in it (beef, pork, chicken, turkey or hamburger). In one small section would be something like 2 tablespoons of reheated canned green beans. In the other small section would be something like "salad": 2-3 tablespoons of shredded iceberg lettuce, vinegar/oil dressing, and half a dozen pastel colored mini marshmallows.

We'd also often get an amazingly delicious soft dinner roll that was a little sweet, a little chewy, and pure wonderfulness, like a seriously upgraded oversized King's Hawaiian made in the ovens of heaven. Go figure ;)

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My mother also slathered everything with margarine.

But worse, she thought arrowroot biscuits were healthy! I love my Mum for the record :)

Snacking between meals on chocolate and biscuits omg I could go on!

We did always eat veges at dinner though :)
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I just had a recall of eating lots of those canned Vienna sausages when I was little!

Twinkles, snowballs, etc. Little Debbie and Hostess, all the way!
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The 2 strangest I can think of that I loved as a kid were:
    Creamed eggs on toast = hard boiled eggs sliced up and mixed with white gravy served over toast
    Spam and pea salad = pan fried spam and peas mixed with mayo, chunks of cheddar cheese and onions

Also my grandfather used to buy a beef tounge about once a week. My grandmother would cook it and then he would use it for sandwiches throughout the week. I have the worst memory of the first time I opened their fridge to find an entire tounge on a plate! :p
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I hated anything green, so when we'd go to Ponderosa for the salad bar after church on Sundays, I'd always get a pile of shredded cheese, ham cubes, and croutons topped with ranch dressing.

Lol. This sounds just like my sister, except she used French dressing. She did put a few pieces of lettuce, but just for show
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    kathakraz wrote: »
    Dunkaroos. Do they even make them anymore?

A woman at my gym recently told me she was excited for her trip to Canada because it's the only way she can still get Dunkaroos. So, yes, in Canada?

Yes I have seen sold and you can buy on ebay.
  • rlr5072
    rlr5072 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We too had butter on untoasted white bread with spaghetti. I still enjoy a good spaghetti sandwich to this day to be honest, but I'll normally only do it with leftovers: One slice of untoasted, buttered white bread with spaghetti and marinara sauce on top heated in the microwave for 45 seconds, then top with Parmesan cheese and oregano - it still is pretty satisfying occasionally.

We also used to sugar our strawberries (we made "strawberry soup" with some water mixed in) and our cereal, as if it wasn't sugary enough already! We also had a lot of sugary snack foods. I grew up one of 5 kids, so it was all about the convenience factor.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Raw ramen. All sorts of ramen. Loved the ramen.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    The sauerkraut sandwich reminded me of something I'd totally forgotten. We'd sometimes have sauerkraut sandwiches on rye with mustard. I recall liking it at the time.
  • KatAdele
    KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    We used to melt butter on white rice then sprinkle with sugar. Very yummy, not nutritious lol.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My childhood foods were predominantly fine nutrition-wise, and I don't think those that didn't have the best nutrition are gross (I would still eat all of them), but I'm also in the "butter and sugar" or "butter and salt" sandwiches camp. I also loved sprinkling sugar on bread then pouring milk over it, or putting biscotti in a bowl and pouring sweet tea over them.
  • mikesphoto
    mikesphoto Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've read through this whole thing. Some memories there. I love bread and butter, had it with my dinner last night. When I was younger I didn't appreciate the deliciousness until I spent some time in England. A neighbor invited me over for dinner. Chicken soup with buttered bread, so much butter. Probably a quarter cup between two slices of bread. Been hooked ever since, though I don't use anywhere near that much butter.
    One I remember fondly, and still eat every few months. We called it creamed tuna, it's basically tuna gravy poured over buttered toast.
    One of my favorite, and sadly vague memories, was that my dad insisted we all get a warm breakfast. Waffles, pancakes, bacon and eggs etc every morning. We used to sneak over to the neighbors to eat cheerio's like normal people. Oh, if I could go back I'd be fatter, and happier, than I am today.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    My mum was a good cook, I don't remember a lot of rubbish food being served, but somebody mentioned butter on meat sandwiches and it made me laugh out loud, a very British thing I think.

Bread and milk for breakfast if we were out of everything wouldn't be uncommon - bowl of hot milk with torn up bread in and sugar on top.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    We used to eat saltine crackers spread with Blue Bonnet margarine then sprinkled with sugar.

At least once a week we would have some kind of ‘economy’ meat for dinner, spam, canned corned beef, boiled hot dogs or fried scrapple. I hated them all. Canned peas were my nemesis and I was relieved when my mom switched to frozen.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Spoonfuls of Skippy peanut butter dipped in sugar!!
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon Sugar Toast. -toast bread, butter toast, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture. (my mom actually had a little container that always had cinnamon sugar in it!)

Hawaiian Delights... graham cracker, with butter on it, and brown sugar sprinkled on top, heated in the microwave for 30 seconds.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    2aycocks wrote: »
    We used to make sandwiches out of anything, miracle whip, ketchup and mustard. Mother also made butter and onion sandwiches. She cooked all the time so we ate well. I loved when Daddy made SOS: left over roast and gravy on toast like he had in the Air Force. And Nestle's Quik powdered chocolate in milk. Yum!

Laughing because I know what SOS stands for. Good stuff.

My mom used to make SOS for me sometimes with ground beef in gravy on toast (rather than roast beef) and I loved it. It was one of the foods she remembered from her childhood in the 50s/60s...another thing she and her 9 siblings loved back then was mixing maple syrup & peanut butter and dipping bread in it. I wasn't as impressed with that one.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Samquentin wrote: »
    Cinnamon Sugar Toast. -toast bread, butter toast, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture. (my mom actually had a little container that always had cinnamon sugar in it!)

^^^^^^^^^^ This all day long.