Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    DanaDark wrote: »
    Eating 2000 calories of lard vs 2000 calories of pure protein does still follow CICO. The protein digestion just increases the OUT portion of CICO. I think people trying to argue this sort of way are purposely trying to find the 1% of cases to try and disprove the 99%. Science doesn't work that way though.

One thing I have always wondered is if chronic malnutrition can cause organs to not function at their peak performance, potentially resulting in lower calorie usage or would it be simply less efficient usage and thus no change. I honestly have no clue on this. Just throwing that out there... would love to hear from someone in the know on that one.

The thing is all of those things will result in a greater deficit, by either reducing effective CI or increasing actual CO.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    weequay wrote: »
    DanaDark wrote: »
    Eating 2000 calories of lard vs 2000 calories of pure protein does still follow CICO. The protein digestion just increases the OUT portion of CICO. I think people trying to argue this sort of way are purposely trying to find the 1% of cases to try and disprove the 99%. Science doesn't work that way though.

This part above contradicts original poster who said "eat" calories. To take CICO to its full definition, you have to consider the "out" part as well. "out" formula is not exercise alone, it may be the source of the calories you eat.

When people debate CICO, most are referring to the effort calorie counting strategy and/or exercise, rather than the formula. Personally I find calorie counting helpful, but sugar spikes ruin my ability to stick with the counting part. Also if caffeine, high protein, or things other than 'eating' help the energy out, even a little, it makes it easier in the long run.

I think my statement perfectly matches with the OP. My mention of this doesn't make it a significant contributor to differences in out calories that'd cause fat loss problems.

A person eating 1500 calories of fat spends 15 calories on processing and storage while 1500 of protein is 300 calories on processing and storage. But this is a total edge case that is totally unrealistic and even absurd. The different would be within 30% of total intake calories, so 450 in this case where the extra fat would be 4.5 calories to process and store and the protein would be 90 calories to store. The 85 calorie difference is not a significant contributing factor in a 500 deficit given PERFECT measurements and EXACT calorie output per day.
  • weequay
    weequay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    log my calories for the day and call it even!

On subject of calorie counting. Logging calories into a tracker and counting them has been my primary method of weight loss for 18+ years. Long before cloud based Myfitnesspal came along you had software packages that did the same thing like Dietpower. As some one who yo-yo's in weight over many years, I realize that bad eating and or alcohol are the reasons I fall off the wagon. Paying attention to what I eat and Macros like Protein or Carbs makes it easier for me to stick to the deficit. Not tracking at all has the worst impact.
  • weequay
    weequay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Alot of people and industry chance losing alot of $ if we jump into a simple CICO bandwagon!

All of the industry uses the principle of CICO to make $. For example, all the successful diet companies have different creative ways to make that deficit, mostly through less input. When you stop their products or plans, the bad habits often come back. As long as people can't stick to diets, I think the industry has nothing to worry about from calorie counting strategies.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Your sweet naïveté about human nature is really touching.
    This is everything. Takes what, 25 years or so to learn it AFTER getting involved in society? <3