Can anyone contradict "you can't spot reduce weight"?

Options

Replies

• YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    YogiJear wrote: »
    You can try a little experiment to contradict it yourself.
    Step 1: Try whatever method/product that you find that says you CAN spot reduce.
    Step 2: Realize that it isn't spot reducing (overall reduction =/= spot reduction)
    Step 3: Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you're convinced.

This may or may not work.

Odds are some people are going to lose weight "just where they want to" because that's where the weight comes off first.....for them. It could be they were doing zumba, or strength training, or even "prancercizing." That thing is going to be the solution to everyone else's problems.

Yeah it was more tailored towards the OP. And based on her last line

But surely there are ways to 'encourage' the inches to come off my belly and not elsewhere? My core is my problem area and I really need to get rid of a couple of inches there.

Her weight isn't coming off of where she wants first so it should work for the OP. :D
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    If you’re new to regular core work, you may notice an improvement in your posture after a few weeks - while it’s not actually reducing the belly, your belly may look smaller as a result of how you hold yourself. I started doing 5-10 minutes of core work 4-5 days a week in the beginning of February and over the last 2-3 weeks have noticed a big improvement in posture and been getting tons of compliments. To be clear, as of the beginning of February I’d lost over 40 pounds, and am only down 5-6 more since then, but the difference is really striking. Team Core!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think I'm jealous. I only have 76 woos. (Thanks for whoever posted how to find that info.) But -- and I'm really not sure how i feel about this, because I don't think of myself as somebody who shares a lot of sympathy-inducing details -- I have 1.2K (!) hugs. Thanks, everybody, really. I'm pretty sure I'm OK, but ain't nothing bad about a little human empathy.

They renamed the Awesome button Hug, so a lot of your hugs were originally awesomes, if it makes you feel any better
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,402 Member
    Options
    Nope. But proper strength training, also focussing on your core (belly and back!) will improve your posture over time and your belly might stick out less.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Last on, first off. First on, last off. Always and forever.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    No, but you can tone up. I had a "pouch" in my lower belly for years and one I started incorporating strength training and abs 5x a week I was able to get rid of the excess fat. (Staying at the same weight)

When I go a few months without ab work, it comes right back with no change in weight. It kind of baffles me the weight can redistribute so fast like this. I would like some explanation why it comes back in a few months without ab work when I have been maintaining the same weight for 4 years. I don't know much about the physiology of fat distribution, but I notice my fat redistributes when I don't exercise as much.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    To get the answer you want you would need to find a single outlier. None has shown up yet. Your question demonstrates the impossibility of proving a negative.

If I were to claim that a teapot is circling the earth, prove me wrong. You can't.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Liposuction is your answer.

But why risk an anaesthetic to have a medical procedure when for less money (but more effort) you could have the same?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Liposuction is your answer.

But why risk an anaesthetic to have a medical procedure when for less money (but more effort) you could have the same?

Or you could do it the non-invasive way with coolsculpting AKA freezerburn my abs
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Or you could just alter your body the natural way as opposed to the non-natural way.

I am not anti plastic surgery as such, but I do struggle with unnecessary treatments when there is a much better alternative.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Or you could just alter your body the natural way as opposed to the non-natural way.

I am not anti plastic surgery as such, but I do struggle with unnecessary treatments when there is a much better alternative.

That's a good reason for you to avoid liposuction or Cool Sculpting, but I'm not sure why your struggle to accept them means others shouldn't consider those procedures as one of the options available to them.

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Nope, this whole spot reduction and target toning your "trouble areas" is a big myth that the fitness industry tells women in order to sell us stuff.