Holding on to your weight

Options
I was wondering if anyone has had issues with holding on to their weight no matter how many calories they restricted, or how hard they worked out. This is my fifth week dieting and working out. I just recently joined MFP this week, but prior to this week my diet consisted of 1200-1300 calories a day and working out 5-6 days per week. My workouts consists of 15 minutes, level 5 on the stair climber, walking very briskly on average 5 miles a day, my Fitbit calculates 14000-15000 steps per day. Also, I incorporate a lot of strength training into my workouts. I have not lost one pound in five weeks and am starting to get discouraged. I don’t have much weight to lose but I would think a person would lose at least one pound in five weeks. Does anyone know how much a potential hormone imbalance can affect weight loss? Or any other potential reasons that can cause this? Thank You

Replies

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food intake? Are you using a digital food scale for all solids? Using measuring cups/spoons? Eyeballing?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you haven’t lost in five weeks then you’re eating more than you think
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Flow chart time!
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Lots of info about working out but not much about calorie intake. I'd focus on calorie intake rather than all of the exercise.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking intake calories and activity calories, what are your stats(height/weight/goal weight/calorie allowance calculated), try opening up your diary.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    If you're really eating only 1200-1300 calories and still not losing weight, try keeping to a whole foods plant-based diet for a while - no animal products, and no added oil. Eat your fill of veggies, fruit, beans, lentils, and starchy carbs like potatoes and brown rice, all made without oil. Drink water, not juice (only whole foods).

"Eat your fill" will lead to a calorie surplus if she's not tracking her intake regardless of whatever foods she eats. Eating whole foods does not cause weight loss, a calorie deficit does.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Flow chart time!

Here ya go.

40irxblnvmek.jpg
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. Use it. Weigh everything. Log everything. No skipping, cheating or forgetting. Do this faithfully for 4-6 weeks.

If you still aren't losing at that point, see a doctor.
  • elizabethrhoads78
    elizabethrhoads78 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food intake? Are you using a digital food scale for all solids? Using measuring cups/spoons? Eyeballing?

• elizabethrhoads78
    Options
    I use measuring cups/spoons for everything that I can, I don’t use a scale.
  • elizabethrhoads78
    Options
    I use measuring utensils for everything that I can, I don’t use a scale.

• elizabethrhoads78
    Options
    What are your stats?
    What are your stats?
    39 years old, 5ft “5”, 138 pounds
  • elizabethrhoads78
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you haven’t lost in five weeks then you’re eating more than you think

That’s what I thought the first two weeks. So I paid extra close attention to my portions and started measuring everything.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do you actually have weight to lose in the first place...you're pretty much smack in the middle of a healthy BMI...is the lower end of BMI realistic for your frame/build?

Sometimes losing weight isn't the answer, and if you're already relatively lean and trying to get super lean, you're going against human biology.
  • elizabethrhoads78
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has had issues with holding on to their weight no matter how many calories they restricted, or how hard they worked out.
    That isn't how things work. A consistent calorie deficit over time leads to weightloss. If you're not losing weight, you're not in a sustained calorie deficit. Overrestricting and overexercising often leads to self-sabotage, decreased NEAT, rewarding yourself with food, rebound overeating, but that's you eating too much, not your body holding onto weight.
    This is my fifth week dieting and working out. I just recently joined MFP this week, but prior to this week my diet consisted of 1200-1300 calories a day and working out 5-6 days per week.
    Logging food intake correctly will make a great difference.
    I have not lost one pound in five weeks and am starting to get discouraged.
    You're eating more than you think. Start logging/tighten up your logging.
    I don’t have much weight to lose but I would think a person would lose at least one pound in five weeks.
    The smaller you are, the slower you'll lose. But tighten up your logging.
    Does anyone know how much a potential hormone imbalance can affect weight loss?
    Not much. Neglible.
    Or any other potential reasons that can cause this?
    You're eating more than you think. Start logging/tighten up your logging.

I agree with everything your saying and I do log everything I eat. After not losing anything the first two weeks I really tightened up on the logging. I have lost weight before, 40 pounds five years ago after having my son and it wasn't this difficult. I have gained 12 of those ponds back over the last five years and that's what I'm trying to lose again. I'm eating less than I did then and exercising more so I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this. However, I'm 5 years older and maybe that has something to do with it. I'm going to take in all the feedback I'm receiving and give myself more time. Thank You
  • elizabethrhoads78
    Options
    Lots of info about working out but not much about calorie intake. I'd focus on calorie intake rather than all of the exercise.
    Get a food scale. Use it. Weigh everything. Log everything. No skipping, cheating or forgetting. Do this faithfully for 4-6 weeks.

If you still aren't losing at that point, see a doctor.

I will definitely get one. Thank You!