Nosy Coworkers

Options

Replies

• amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Depending on my mood, I probably would've responded with "And for you too!" or "if you say so." When I stare at my co-workers lunches it's because I want some..... Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've had to share many a half capsicum with co-workers for the same reasoning haha.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Mikkimeow wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I was heating up my meal prep a few minutes ago, and I had a coworker walk by me stirring my plate of spaghetti. She looks down and says, "Oh, I see the diet is going well!" chuckles and walks away. I simply sighed.

My meal prep is below. It fits my macros, keeps me full, and frankly, why should I give up pasta to lose weight when I can eat it and still be at a deficit????

I've found that since my weight loss has become noticeable, the comments have started. It is almost since I started caring about what goes into my body, other people feel the need to also. Many are well meaning, "Oh I see you got the salad!" or " You are looking great, keep it up, don't quit" What many don't realize is that I have been at this for quite some time, and your perceptions on pasta aren't going to persuade me to eat like a rabbit. Good luck with whatever weight loss fad you try this month.

How often do you guys deal with this? What are some things you hear about what you eat/ your lifestyle that just get under your skin?
    293sbgv2d8vj.png

I would say that your calories are off here :)
    How did you measure that 1/2" circle and how large was your zucchini? Also did you make your home made marinara and added up all the ingredients?

Maybe thats what she meant ;)

Its your life and your weight loss journey. Move and carry on.

Meh, I highly doubt that is what her coworker meant.

I'd imagine the coworker thinks pasta = carbs = fattening aka "BUT that is not diet food".

Totally!

I usually don't even notice what my coworkers eat unless it smells really good & then I inquire to what they're eating.

Usually the only comments I get from coworkers is about my food scale or when I bring a big salad to work (the one salad fit in a Blue Bunny gallon ice cream container).

This made me laugh. I used to take my salad to work in huge margarine containers (poor man's tupperware). I can't believe how many people thought I was eating actual margarine for lunch.

Before someone freaks out about margarine, I inherited them from my grandma. I'm a real butter snob. :wink:

THIS! I grew up in a tradional Hispanic household, and all plastic/glass containers were reused for years. I didn't think twice about bringing leftover lasagna in a cottage cheese container until someone asked if I liked cottage cheese THAT much. lol

I was bummed when all my margarine containers bit the dust. They were the perfect size for a big ol' salad.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, friends and coworkers still look at me like I'm some alien when I pass up the free pizza/thai food/ice cream/cookies/mexican etc and bring my own food to eat. If I am going to eat bbq, it is going to be from some family restaurant in the south, the free dry meat with a so-so sauce and some passable mac'n'cheese isn't appetizing.

I am in grad school; there is free food everywhere multiple times a week. I could probably get a couple lunches per week free if I ate pizza. I'd rather save my calories for wine and dark chocolate later, but people can't get it through their head that I can't eat everything I want all the time. I just don't feel like exercising that much and a lot of free food I don't find filling.
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Point being - what she said says more about her than you.

^ This

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    While I think others have given some great strategies for dealing with the coworker's comments, I still stuck back on why they even know you are on a "diet"?

Honestly, I never share my dieting or fitness stuff with casual coworkers and to do so only invites these type if comments. Food is such an emotionally charged issue for so many people.

If someone makes an unsolicited comment about what I'm eating, I pretty bluntly ask them why they think what I eat would be any other of their concern?

If someone asks if I've lost weight and what I'm doing, I just give a vague answer about managing my nutrition and intake and getting some exercise. This often causes some kind of question or comment like, Low Carb? Or, "what you really need to do is.......". I just answer with a terse I'm just fine with what I'm doing thanks." If they persist, my response is a variation in the one above, "why is my nutrition and exercise your concern." It is meant to discourage commentary and it does.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

ETA: Then there's when my other coworker's offer me ice cream , pizza or other goodies they bring in. If I don't want any, or it doesn't fit my calories I just tell them I just ate or I'm still full from lunch. No one questions it. If I say that I'm watching what I eat they try to push it harder.. go figure.

In these situations, I just give a simple and pleasant "no thanks". I feel no need to justify or explain why I do or don't want to eat something.

As far as your coworker goes, I would have to set some boundaries with that person regarding commentary on what I eat.

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I was heating up my meal prep a few minutes ago, and I had a coworker walk by me stirring my plate of spaghetti. She looks down and says, "Oh, I see the diet is going well!" chuckles and walks away. I simply sighed.

My meal prep is below. It fits my macros, keeps me full, and frankly, why should I give up pasta to lose weight when I can eat it and still be at a deficit????

I've found that since my weight loss has become noticeable, the comments have started. It is almost since I started caring about what goes into my body, other people feel the need to also. Many are well meaning, "Oh I see you got the salad!" or " You are looking great, keep it up, don't quit" What many don't realize is that I have been at this for quite some time, and your perceptions on pasta aren't going to persuade me to eat like a rabbit. Good luck with whatever weight loss fad you try this month.

How often do you guys deal with this? What are some things you hear about what you eat/ your lifestyle that just get under your skin?
    293sbgv2d8vj.png

How did you measure that 1/2" circle and how large was your zucchini? Also did you make your home made marinara and added up all the ingredients?

I'd imagine the coworker thinks pasta = carbs = fattening aka "BUT that is not diet food".

Totally!

I usually don't even notice what my coworkers eat unless it smells really good & then I inquire to what they're eating.

Usually the only comments I get from coworkers is about my food scale or when I bring a big salad to work (the one salad fit in a Blue Bunny gallon ice cream container).

This made me laugh. I used to take my salad to work in huge margarine containers (poor man's tupperware). I can't believe how many people thought I was eating actual margarine for lunch.

Before someone freaks out about margarine, I inherited them from my grandma. I'm a real butter snob. :wink:

The best container I used was the one that a frozen Party Punch starter came in. A coworker looked at me like I had five heads.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options

293sbgv2d8vj.png

Totally!

The best container I used was the one that a frozen Party Punch starter came in. A coworker looked at me like I had five heads.

I’m a container hoarder. Lmao I collect the Greek yogurt containers, the container my blue cheese comes in, and sometimes if a Chinese take out has durable containers I’ll save those too. Haha You can never have enough tubeware.
  • Klmom123
    Klmom123 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately people are threatened by others success. Stay heavy and they comment, get heathy ans they comment. Point is , they will always have something to say. Just realize it’s more about themselves then you. Their insecurity .
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Best plan is to ignore them or do like me contact your sarcastic side and if you think they mean it in a negative way, say something like "yeh so what you doing to improve yourself?" :p:p:p
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    DarianJP wrote: »

293sbgv2d8vj.png

Totally!

I’m a container hoarder. Lmao I collect the Greek yogurt containers, the container my blue cheese comes in, and sometimes if a Chinese take out has durable containers I’ll save those too. Haha You can never have enough tubeware.

Although I do my own meal prep, I also supplement my boring meals with a meal prep service. The meals come in the black container with the clear lid. They are the perfect size and now I have a cabinet full of them.