Childish Misunderstanding

SabotageinStilettos
SabotageinStilettos Posts: 4,833 Member
What’s the silliest thing you recall misunderstanding as a child?

Drinking and driving. I legitimately thought that meant that you could not partake in any beverage while driving a car and I would get so paranoid when my dad would bring a mug of coffee into the car. He didn’t even try to hide it!

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    The glove compartment in the car. I thought it was the glove department until I was like 10.

Also the phrase "I have to piss like a rushing race horse". I thought it was a "Russian race horse"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,492 Member
    We always passed this building called "Camping World" and I thought it was an indoor camp site.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    I thought babies came out of belly buttons until my older brother horrified with the dirty truth at age 9.

I gotta tell ya, the belly button sounds even worse.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    I thought babies came out of belly buttons until my older brother horrified with the dirty truth at age 9.

My mom told me that one. It might been when I actually learned where they did come from that I decided to never have kids. :wink:
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    I always sat way in the back of a van so I had never seen rumble strips before. I thought that sound was something that came up out of the road and scraped the bottom of your car. I always wondered how it worked, like did it sense a car and automatically pop up? What happened to motorcycles?
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Once I had a dream that we had a fire in our house. It was so vivid that until I was 15 I thought we actually had had a fire. I even argued with my parents that they were wrong because I could remember the fireman who teased me about wearing no shoes and I got flustered and sassed him.
  • projectsix
    projectsix Posts: 5,088 Member
    I might have been 7 or 8 and woke up in the middle of the night to mom and her boyfriend getting it on. I went into their room scared cause she was screaming and I thought he was hurting her. Nope! Being all grown up turns out quite the opposite, it's a good time.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I remember being young enough to think that the music in the car was coming from a tiny performance area with tiny performers behind the tiny box at the front of the car because the grown-ups would push buttons on that box to make different people talk and sing.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I thought the Tooth Fairy might take more of my teeth out. I was terrified.
  • I used to think dysfunction was normal
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited March 2018
    I used to think dysfunction was normal

wait.

it's not ??

ut oh.
  • Motorsheen wrote: »
    I used to think dysfunction was normal

wait.

it's not ??

ut oh.

Who knew?!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    I remember being young enough to think that the music in the car was coming from a tiny performance area with tiny performers behind the tiny box at the front of the car because the grown-ups would push buttons on that box to make different people talk and sing.

I used to think that too!

Way back in the olden days, when a tv station had technical difficulties, they'd put up a title card that said "Please Stand By". And I did. Literally stood right in front of the tv set.