Bananas-friend or foe

Options
13»

Replies

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    For me, foe. But I don't think they're worth the carbs/calories as they don't fill me up. They're like a candy bar to me (except with more micronutrients obviously).

There is nothing wrong with bananas. If they fit into your diet and you like them, go for it. If they leave you feeling unsatisfied or you're short on calories, skip it or eat half.

Me too - high on cals and sugar - more of a dessert to me - although I love them with oats and milk - which co-incidentally are also scarily high on cals!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    karenafrn wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Are you diabetic or otherwise concerned about your blood sugar? If not, there's nothing specifically wrong with bananas. Even if so, bananas are still OK, they just tend towards higher sugar levels relative to their calories. They're manageable if eaten in moderation.

Not diabetic-I’ve been trying to do little to no sugar and little to no carbs. I’ve lost 60 lbs but have 20 more to go and just can’t maintain a no sugar no carb diet. One of my coworkers recommended this app. Thanks for all the feedback! Seems like a great group!!!

Unfortunately that’s why many of us don’t recommend extremely restrictive diets to begin with. You’ve lost weight, and that’s great, but you did so eating in a way that’s unsustainable (for you and for most people). It’s good you’re realizing this now and can try to set up a sustainable plan to help you lose the last 20 lbs and transition smoothly into maintenance to help keep the weight off.

You may see some temporary weight gain as you reintroduce carbs but once you get calories on track then you should start losing again.

As others have said, no food is particularly good or bad - it’s all about how it fits in the context of your overall diet. Are you planning to still do low carb, just not as low as before? Or are you going for more of a moderation approach? Have you set up MFP with your goals and goal rate of loss (0.5 lb/week would be appropriate for 20 lbs to lose) to get a calorie target? Are you planning on using a food scale for logging accuracy (recommended)?

Read the stickied most helpful forum posts at the top of the different sections they have some great info in them and a lot of commonly asked questions.

Good luck!

PS - I can’t stand bananas but I eat lots of other things that are higher in carbs/sugars and it didn’t prevent me from losing weight and keeping it off.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Nah. Bananas just don't do it for me. I'd rather eat a Cadbury's creme egg.

And all the 'experts' tell me they are the perfect fuel for runners. Nope. Tried it, and felt like I was running with an enormous brick in my stomach.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Since they seem to trigger my asthma, I am going to have to go with foe.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Since they seem to trigger my asthma, I am going to have to go with foe.

How/why do they do that? Is it an allergy thing?
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Fine unless you are on a boat. They are bad luck on boats
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with bananas - if you like them, eat them :smile: they're a good snack in general and pretty low on cals too.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every weekend before my long run with a peanut butter and honey sandwich. So, friend.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Foe. Because they will cause me to asphyxiate lol Also, they're higher calorie than other fruits or vegetables that I'd prefer.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every weekend before my long run with a peanut butter and honey sandwich. So, friend.

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches as pre-run fuel are the bomb!
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Definitely friend, I eat for 3325 calories, so a banana represents only a small percentage in my diet, I am lifter therfore there a lot of benefits in eating before and/or after a workout. I don't see how a banana can be a foe, unless you just hate the taste, have little calories to work with or your doctor advises you to not eat it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    Definitely friend, I eat for 3325 calories, so a banana represents only a small percentage in my diet, I am lifter therfore there a lot of benefits in eating before and/or after a workout. I don't see how a banana can be a foe, unless you just hate the taste, have little calories to work with or your doctor advises you to not eat it.
    It must be because there's always a picture of a banana in those silly woo internet advertisements that say "Do not EVER eat these 5 foods for weight loss!!1!!1!!!"

For example:
    pcc8p3bb1zmy.jpg
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches as pre-run fuel are the bomb!

It's the real MVP if my long runs.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of bananas but agree they are a bit higher calorie than other fruits I enjoy, so I don't have them daily or anything. Usually friends and family give me their overripe bananas because they know I like 'em that way (weird? oh well) and I chop & throw them in the freezer for smoothies & banana bread. I probably eat 1 banana per week.
  • Najacita
    Najacita Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat one every day in the morning with oatmeal or cashew butter toast. It gives me a kick of energy like I used to get when I drank coffee. I usually get the smaller bananas or share with the dog. She loves them!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a banana before an early morning run. Easy, fast, healthy, and cheap.

Side Note: Does anyone want to waste a lot of time going down a hilarious banana themed internet rabbit hole? Read the reviews.... :smiley:

https://www.amazon.com/Hutzler-571-Banana-Slicer/dp/B0047E0EII
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Dietician I trusted and liked told me good, but 1 banana = 2 servings, so if you are diabetic or have a problem with calories when eating them, try eating 1/2 a banana with a meal, or at least with a substantial amount of protein.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I love bananas. I weigh them when I eat them and log by the gram; I have had them range from 80 to 150 grams, so logging "banana 100 cals" is not a great idea if you eat a lot of them. They are not empty calories.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    karenafrn wrote: »
    Hi
    New to the app. Trying to learn as much as possible. Can you all tell me your thoughts on bananas? I was told they are too high on the glycemic index and therefore should be avoided or at least be limited, but so many smoothie recipes call for them. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

So many smoothie recipes posted on trendy sites work out to ridiculously high calories, that I would rather have the nice large solid meal equivalent.
    The fruit is blameless in comparison o:)