Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Sugar Conspiracy

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Look at him, pile of powdered sugar on his desk.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Look at him, pile of powdered sugar on his desk.

total sugar addict...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Meh, we stopped using the imperial system before i was born. Grams rule maaan :wink:
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    And if you want to be technical, grams and ounces don't even measure the same thing.
    Grams measure the amount of mass. Pounds and ounces measure the force of gravity on said mass (weight).
    Weight will vary based on planet size and distance from the planet's core.
    Mass is constant.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Meh, we stopped using the imperial system before i was born. Grams rule maaan :wink:

As an American, let me state for the record, i would love to go metric. So much easier.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

As an American, let me state for the record, i would love to go metric. So much easier.

I've heard it would be way too hard, because the manufactures having to change dimensions on tools, measuring cups etc etc Your whole country would have to be overhauled lol But then again, we did it here, but our population is 1/4 of yours so the uproar wouldn't have been so loud.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

I've heard it would be way too hard, because the manufactures having to change dimensions on tools, measuring cups etc etc Your whole country would have to be overhauled lol But then again, we did it here, but our population is 1/4 of yours so the uproar wouldn't have been so loud.

It's already happening/has happened for a lot of manufacturers.
    The big deal would be getting the general population to learn a new rule of measurement (uncle Charlie has been measuring carpet by the foot for 30 years and isn't likely to stop).
    Of course, that's all second to the fact that American football is played on a 100 yard field and good luck changing it to 100 meters.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

The big deal would be getting the general population to learn a new rule of measurement (uncle Charlie has been measuring carpet by the foot for 30 years and isn't likely to stop).
    Of course, that's all second to the fact that American football is played on a 100 yard field and good luck changing it to 100 meters.

I was young as we were transitioning. I use both, sometimes in the same sentence.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I would venture to say that SI is pretty standard for manufacturers, at least those in high-tech industries. I work in medical device manufacturing and all of our official work is in SI.

We still use legacy units where we must - 1/4" bolts, for example, or pressure gauges in psi - but even there we are slowly using more and more parts in metric. And where we have to use imperial parts we often still specify SI units: 25.4 mm instead of 1.00 inch, for example.

I would venture that most of the difficulty is transitioning to metric is just people's every day experience. Sure I'm familiar with cm and kg, but I weigh myself in pounds and calculate my car's fuel efficiency in miles per gallon. I could do those things in metric, but it requires some effort and there's no obvious reason why I should change.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I was young as we were transitioning. I use both, sometimes in the same sentence.

I've only known the metric system, and yet i use different measurements. I'm 5'8 and have never used cms for that, but i use cms to measure smaller things. I find feet easier to work with when i'm measuring distance, instead of metres.
    I have no idea how to use or what miles, ounces, yards and gallons are. My conversion calculator gets quite the workout when reading this forum :lol:
  • PeterJX
    PeterJX Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I read through this thread eating a Cadbury milk chocolate bar with almonds.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    PeterJX wrote: »

And now the aliens have your brain.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options

The real reason we aren't metric is, as you alluded, expense. We have flirted several times with adaption of metric as a nation, as early as the inception of our country (a proposal by none other than George Washington). In 1975 Congress passed a law to convert the nation, and President Ford signed it, but then the cost of oil went sky-high, and the federal enaction was suspended as part of the cost-saving measures in the ensuing years. It was quite unfortunate, aside from retaining Farenheit which is a far more descriptive temperature scale for biological organisms.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I've only known the metric system, and yet i use different measurements. I'm 5'8 and have never used cms for that, but i use cms to measure smaller things. I find feet easier to work with when i'm measuring distance, instead of metres.
    I have no idea how to use or what miles, ounces, yards and gallons are. My conversion calculator gets quite the workout when reading this forum :lol:

A mile is about 1.6 kilometers (A little over 1.5...)
    An ounce is about 28 grams (I cheat and use 30 grams to convert sometimes. Easier math).
    A yard is about 0.9 meters ( Just under 1:1 )
    A gallon is about 3.8 liters (it's 4 quarts exactly, so a quart is slightly more than a liter).

Neither system is inherently better, but the base-10 math is easier to compute on the fly than base-12 (American/Imperial system).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    PeterJX wrote: »

That's all well and good, IF you were wearing your tinfoil hat at the same time.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i usually have 50-100+ grams of sugar a day, but the thing is all that sugar comes from vegetables or fruits, as long as your sugar comes from those sources u are good and u can have as much as u want (as long as its in your macros ofc). added sugar conspiracy is stupid and should only be applied to drinking sodas and stuff. sugar intake fro healthy sources shouldnt even be mentioned
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Worthy of resurrecting a discussion:

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/359/6377/747.full

The author claims that there was no sugar conspiracy.