MFP TDEE Calculation

Options
2»

Replies

• taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Of course it's enough. Slow and steady is healthy and sustainable, especially if you don't have a big bunch to lose. Within 10 or so pounds from goal, 0.5/week is even better.

What I meant by "isn't enough" is that increasing my calories by only 75 per day probably isn't enough to get me to a 1lb per week weight loss. If this week is any indication, it probably won't even get me to 1.5lbs. I probably need to go up closer to 2,500 per day to get to 1.5lbs. I am probably about 18lbs from goal so that is why I am still trying to target a 1lb per week loss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »
    Of course it's enough. Slow and steady is healthy and sustainable, especially if you don't have a big bunch to lose. Within 10 or so pounds from goal, 0.5/week is even better.

What I meant by "isn't enough" is that increasing my calories by only 75 per day probably isn't enough to get me to a 1lb per week weight loss. If this week is any indication, it probably won't even get me to 1.5lbs. I probably need to go up closer to 2,500 per day to get to 1.5lbs. I am probably about 18lbs from goal so that is why I am still trying to target a 1lb per week loss.

It completely makes sense to ignore what the so-called "calculator" says, and trust your own careful record-keeping and real world results. That's what I did to lose (50+ pounds in less than a year) and stay at a healthy weight (for 2 years since), even though the calories I eat exceed MFP's estimates by 30% or more . . . and I do eat back all my exercise besides.

There's nothing oracular about MFP's estimate. It's just the result from a formula with a tiny handful of variables. You're an actual complicated individual human being!

If you're worried, get a weight-trending app (Happy Scale for iOS, Libra for Android, Trendweight, etc.) and add 100 or so daily calories every week or so until you hit the loss rate you want.

It's gonna be OK, really. Granny sez. ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

It completely makes sense to ignore what the so-called "calculator" says, and trust your own careful record-keeping and real world results. That's what I did to lose (50+ pounds in less than a year) and stay at a healthy weight (for 2 years since), even though the calories I eat exceed MFP's estimates by 30% or more . . . and I do eat back all my exercise besides.

There's nothing oracular about MFP's estimate. It's just the result from a formula with a tiny handful of variables. You're an actual complicated individual human being!

If you're worried, get a weight-trending app (Happy Scale for iOS, Libra for Android, Trendweight, etc.) and add 100 or so daily calories every week or so until you hit the loss rate you want.

It's gonna be OK, really. Granny sez. ;)

@AnnPT77 - You win the internetz this week for your use of the word "oracular". :flowerforyou:
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week, so is a weight trending app really useful? I know a lot of people use one, but they tend to be daily weighers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week, so is a weight trending app really useful? I know a lot of people use one, but they tend to be daily weighers.

I'm a daily weigher. Seems less useful for weekly weighers. Seems like if it were going to be useful, it would be over a longer time span.

Frankly, I can't quite wrap my mind around fine-tuning weight loss rate downward into maintenance while weighing only weekly . . . but I see that as a limitation of my brain, not a defect in your strategy.

Maybe one of the weekly folks has tried them, and can comment.

One thing to note: They're free, and easy to learn/use, so low barrier to trial.