Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Sugar Conspiracy

Options
1414243444547»

Replies

• johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand the comparisons. If the addiction and/or withdrawal isn't exactly like heroin, meth or crack then it doesn't exist? So, addiction to nicotine and caffeine cannot exist either because no one with a nicotine addiction, no matter how strong, has had to be put into a coma to get over withdrawal either. So, by this reasoning the only addictive substances on earth are as follows: heroin, crack, meth and possibly alcohol (although that has sugar so it's probably only a psychological addiction. )

@positivepowers that is good logic. I have started reading Chasing the Scream that seems to indicate all addictions are only psychological in nature just like vision is psychological and not physical in nature.

Neurological, psychological

Tomato, tomahto
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand the comparisons. If the addiction and/or withdrawal isn't exactly like heroin, meth or crack then it doesn't exist?

I dont think anyone said that. There were posters who said sugar is just as addictive as heroine and cocaine, so other posters were arguing that is not true. And that sugar is not physically addictive. The thread is 2 years old though, but that's what I remember from a brief skim to refresh my memory.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I haven't read that anyone here is saying sugar addiction "is just the same as" heroin addiction. Why acuse people of this?

I'm pretty sure the entire middle of this thread was people insisting sugar is as addictive as heroin and cocaine.

The first comparison to heroine is on page 10 (later than I'd expect in a thread like this) and the first comparison to cocaine on page 13, both from May 2016 if anyone was curious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I haven't read that anyone here is saying sugar addiction "is just the same as" heroin addiction. Why acuse people of this?

I'm pretty sure the entire middle of this thread was people insisting sugar is as addictive as heroin and cocaine.

Yes, and it's extremely common in all of these threads.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I guess I don't understand the comparisons. If the addiction and/or withdrawal isn't exactly like heroin, meth or crack then it doesn't exist? So, addiction to nicotine and caffeine cannot exist either because no one with a nicotine addiction, no matter how strong, has had to be put into a coma to get over withdrawal either. So, by this reasoning the only addictive substances on earth are as follows: heroin, crack, meth and possibly alcohol (although that has sugar so it's probably only a psychological addiction. )

Withdrawal doesn't exist without a physical dependency, and as psulemon said to your body any carbs = sugar and so it CAN'T be a physical dependency, as you aren't eliminating sugar when you cut back (or cut out) added sugar. There flat out is not any physical withdrawal here.

Might it be some sort of psychological thing that's akin to an addiction? Sure, maybe, but then it's more likely "highly palatable foods" and not sugar -- and the research seems to suggest that an "eating addiction" is more likely a better way to characterize it than "food addiction" (or specific kind of food addiction).

I also think equating the kind of serious ED that could be characterized as an eating addiction with "jeez, I have trouble not overdoing it when I eat tasty foods" is wrong.

But the reason we always get into the crack/meth/heroin comparisons is that invariably someone claims that "sugar addiction" (usually in the "I have trouble moderating" sense) is just the same (or worse than) those things, which is IMO absurd.

By that reasoning, nicotine addiction is truly an addiction because we have receptors in our bodies called nicotinic receptors. They respond to acetycholine but physically respond to nicotine, which replaces the acetylcholine in the receptors (sorry, that's a little simplified for time and space.) And yet, withdrawal from them (physical withdrawal) does not create the kind of havoc on our systems as does withdrawal from heroin.

And unlike with sugar, you don't have people claiming that cigarette addiction is exactly like or worse than heroin addiction.

That said, I'm not quite sure what your point is, because OBVIOUSLY nicotine creates an actual dependency and results in actual withdrawal (not all withdrawal is the same, true).

The point with sugar is not that the physical dependency/withdrawal isn't as bad, it's that is cannot exist at all -- when you cut out added sugar you are not depriving your body of sugar, first, and, second, your body does not become dependent on sugar similar to nicotine -- it naturally runs on glucose.

I don't think "addiction" is solely about physical dependence or withdrawal (or requires any physical dependency), but when people claim sugar addiction is just like cocaine or heroin or results in a physical withdrawal, that's simply false and shows they are not approaching the topic honestly (or at least not with any understanding).

And I do think it's offensive when someone claims that struggling with moderating cookies (which, btw, have more fat than sugar normally) is basically the same as heroin addiction -- and "sugar is just like cocaine or heroin" is very commonly said in these threads -- I think it is that precise claim that usually throws them off topic.

Also there is a significant difference between physical dependency (which need not involve addiction, although with heroin it will be both) and addiction, which is usually defined as something quite serious (which you seem to be dismissive of, but I think that's fundamental to addiction, it basically takes over the life and chokes away normal attachments and pleasures).