Artificial Sweetners-Gum and Diet Pop

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I use sucralose because it measures the same as sugar. I use it occasionally and have never noticed any physical effect.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    I don't generally care for aspertame, but I developed a taste for Diet Coke as a teenager. (It was the only soda my best friend's mom ever bought, and since I was at their house most afternoons after school, I drank a lot of it.) Xylitol and Maltitol give me horrible gas. I'm experimenting with stevia right now, to see if there are any side effects and if I can figure out how to bake with it. I really enjoy the taste, but this is the first night I've had it. If it doesn't make me feel like my intestines are facing imminent explosion, it may be a winner.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    OP my own experience is that drinking diet sodas, which I do a few times a week, has not hindered my weight loss or caused any other issues.
    Too many sugar free lollies does give me diahroea - must be different sweeetener in them.

I don't really consume any other artificially sweetened things so can't comment on them.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I use artificial sweeteners and have naturally low blood pressure most of the time and have no issues with it lowering my blood pressure. I also dont pee anymore using them than when I dont. that includes things with stevia in them. maybe its something else causing the issue for you and its just a coincidence?
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    kazane1 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Water is the only drink our body NEEDS, everything else is just preference the sooner you tune into that the better. Sweeteners.. sugars.. it’s all refined rubbish in my opinion.. water FTW!

You do realize that most drinks are somewhere around 99% water, right? Soda, tea, coffee, etc. Even milk (which has lots of vital nutrients in it) is somewhere around 90% water.

Yeah but water is 100% water.. in most cases. So that sounds better to me

Have you been to Flint Michigan an seen the water? LOL

Nope I haven’t :( but I assume it’s bad. Which sucks.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Water is the only drink our body NEEDS, everything else is just preference the sooner you tune into that the better. Sweeteners.. sugars.. it’s all refined rubbish in my opinion.. water FTW!

Unless you're eating only dried foods, your body is going to get hydration from things that are not 100% water.

Bonus!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    I've been using a pentose sugar derived from kabocha squash called BochaSweet. It is the best alternative sweetener that I've found. I've had weight loss surgery and have to be very careful about sugar in my diet...and some alternatives also cause gastrointestinal distress.

The BochaSweet cooks beautifully, doesn't elicit an insulin response, and doesn't have the bitterness or cooling effect that many people experience with many stevia products.

It isn't inexpensive but well worth it in my mind to be able to create great tasting treats that I can eat!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited April 2018
    dmz1983 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    What are your experiences with artificial sweeteners? I do not tolerate stevia well as it drops my blood pressure tremendously and causes frequent and urgent urination. I personally dropped all artificial sweeteners for years due to the bad press but I find that it doesn't affect my weight. I actually find that I'll eat less. Instead of dessert I'll have gum. Sometimes in the afternoon a diet pop will help curve my appetite. What have you all experienced? I have also dug into a lot of the research and it actually reassures me that it has been the most studied substance in the food supply and deemed to be safe (not saccharin).

@dmz1983
    I don't drink any kind of sodas, I stopped over 15 years ago when I was drinking one diet Sprite a day. I don't like them or miss them. Once in awhile I will drink club soda, but I noticed that the bubbles don't sit nicely in my stomach. It is sad because I like champagne but I had to stop that too. If I drink even a small glass, I pay the price.

I use Stevia or Splenda in my black coffee (twice daily), and I have been using them for a very long time. I may also put some Splenda on my Fage or grapefruit, if needed. I chew sugarless gum on occasion. Nothing has interfered with my weight loss or weight maintenance, and I never experienced any side effects either.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    I use aspartame (e.g., Nutrasweet, the one in the blue packet) pretty regularly in hot or cold tea. I used to drink a lot of diet coke, but me olde stomach-e can't take it anymore.

I read a number of papers about it at one time that concluded it was well tolerated by most people relative to placebo (e.g., does not significantly cause headaches or diarrhea, as some claim regardless of research).

One complaint about aspartame is that it breaks down and releases methanol (aka "wood alcohol") and this is true. However, although methanol is toxic in large quantities, the amount of methanol released from aspartame is tiny and lots of foods (e.g., tomatoes). So I don't worry about it.

But: It is valuable to me to have nice sweet tea, and everyone can just make their own decision about such things!