Options
2»

Replies

• Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Connie1979 wrote: »
    Whats the max amount of carbs do you eat on Keto? I honestly think I am in Ketosis because I'm losing weight fast, like 10 lbs in 2wks fast.

The max is typically around 50g of carbs, although those with insulin resistance may need to go lower and active healthy people may be able to eat more if they time carbs around exercise.

Fast weight loss due to lost water weight is pretty normal when getting into ketosis. Weight loss after the first couple of weeks is typically similar to that of other diets.

You said 50. The earlier poster said 20. Just curious as to what the actual number should be?
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have been on restricted (20g a day) keto since November last year. This is medically supervised for insulin resistance. The number of daily carbs can vary depending on how restricted your diet is. Since starting I have lost close to 40 pounds. My fasting BGL is down from 6.7 to 4.3mmol/L, triglycerides down from 2.0 to 1.1 and cholesterol down from 7.0 to 6.5 with no significant increase in LDL and I am off blood pressure medication completely. The first couple of weeks were difficult while my body adjusted, but now I have far more energy than I used to, no more gastric reflux and my mind feels alert.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    YamRector wrote: »
    erikfarrar wrote: »
    Actual evidence of the keto diet (a.k.a. Atkins) shows that it's not any better than other fad diets. Stop it with the fads, people.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/2/21/16965122/keto-diet-reset

That's just not true. Ketogenic diet IS NOT ATKINS! I recommend you to educate yourself before confusing people!

It actually IS true. You don't lose any more weight on a low-carb diet than you do on any other diet. See this study: https://examine.com/nutrition/low-fat-vs-low-carb-for-weight-loss/

Keto.Is.Not.Magic.
  • jennlea30
    jennlea30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    YamRector wrote: »
    erikfarrar wrote: »
    Actual evidence of the keto diet (a.k.a. Atkins) shows that it's not any better than other fad diets. Stop it with the fads, people.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/2/21/16965122/keto-diet-reset

That's just not true. Ketogenic diet IS NOT ATKINS! I recommend you to educate yourself before confusing people!

Agreed first Keto is not in any way Atkins. Second Keto has been around since the 1930's so it is NOT a fad diet. Keto is just a different way of eating. If you are going to make a post like this it helps to do actual research and educate your self.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    ok question ... I have been doing low carb, I have been adding good fats like coconut oil and real butter , olive oil and I have only been eating like below 20 carbs a day , sometimes less . I found a quick reference to a keto site , where it says 70% of daily calorie , so since I have so much to lose (over200) I get 2500 calories a day . how does that work out in my day ?? I mean how many fats do I eat compared to carbs , protein , fiber , ???? and if I eat and drink this way I am going to be way over my 2500 but way under my carb count ?? like today I had keto coffee 14g a cup , eggs bacon cheese , that was breakfast , and added real butter to eggs . all of that was like 800 calories . so do I blow off the calories and not care or do I try to stay under 2500 ?? Please Help .......I have lost 25 pounds in 65 days and my blood sugar is almost normal , I will never go into ketosis because I take lantus at night , so yeah how does that figure in LOL ok Thanks for any help at all !!!!!
  • PQ4321
    PQ4321 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ok question ... I have been doing low carb, I have been adding good fats like coconut oil and real butter , olive oil and I have only been eating like below 20 carbs a day , sometimes less . I found a quick reference to a keto site , where it says 70% of daily calorie , so since I have so much to lose (over200) I get 2500 calories a day . how does that work out in my day ?? I mean how many fats do I eat compared to carbs , protein , fiber , ???? and if I eat and drink this way I am going to be way over my 2500 but way under my carb count ?? like today I had keto coffee 14g a cup , eggs bacon cheese , that was breakfast , and added real butter to eggs . all of that was like 800 calories . so do I blow off the calories and not care or do I try to stay under 2500 ?? Please Help .......I have lost 25 pounds in 65 days and my blood sugar is almost normal , I will never go into ketosis because I take lantus at night , so yeah how does that figure in LOL ok Thanks for any help at all !!!!!

I take lantus also and am doing keto using under 50 grams of carbs. I have over 100 pounds to lose also. It has been about 2 1/2months for me and I have lost about 25 pounds also. I have been slowly reducing my need for insulin and went from 70 units to 30 units of lantus as I have lost weight and become more in tune with the diet. It takes a while to get into the mindset. I am working with a weight loss doctor and he seems to believe that diabetics taking insulin CAN go into ketosis. I will have to ask about this specifically next time I am in. My calorie limit is 2000 and here is my breakdown, 50G carb (10%) 100G Protein (20%) 156G Fat (70%). My breakdown for each meal is Breakfast 30% (600 calories) Lunch 25% (500 calories) Dinner 30% (600 calories) Snack 15% (300 Calories). I try to stay pretty close to those, BUT occasionally have larger breakfasts and smaller lunches, but try to keep to the calorie count. At first I DID go over calories also and my doctor said to concentrate on keeping below 50 carbs and then tweak to lower calories. Hope this helps. You can friend me if you like, it seems we are on a similar journey.
  • tammyfranks2
    Options
    @PQ4321 , I take 1000 mg of metformin 2x day and 22 units of lantus , when I started I was taking the same amount of metformin , but I took 30 units of lantus , when I do the keto strips I am showing trace ketosis , which is amazing , I think with the diabetic meds , Thank You for your break down of your day , I will try to keep it , to the 2500 calories . I added you , yes lets keep in touch and help each other!
  • judyring
    judyring Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how to get the carbs to register net carbs. On fitness pal just started KETO
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Atkins Phase 1/Induction is ketogenic. The rest is low carb (under 100-150g of carbs a day).
    Kelkat405 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Connie1979 wrote: »
    Whats the max amount of carbs do you eat on Keto? I honestly think I am in Ketosis because I'm losing weight fast, like 10 lbs in 2wks fast.

The max is typically around 50g of carbs, although those with insulin resistance may need to go lower and active healthy people may be able to eat more if they time carbs around exercise.

Fast weight loss due to lost water weight is pretty normal when getting into ketosis. Weight loss after the first couple of weeks is typically similar to that of other diets.

You said 50. The earlier poster said 20. Just curious as to what the actual number should be?

There is no "should be" level for carbs when eating in ketosis. The upper threshold is often around 50g but what people choose to do really varies.

I know someone who ate around 150g of carbs, around multi hour intense bike rides, and stayed in ketosis.

I know metabolically unhealthy people who are not in consistent ketosis at 50g a day but other healthy people who are. Those with IR will often lower carbs further to improve their blood glucose numbers, and to stay in ketosis all the time.

People who use ketones as therapy for migraines or other health issues may choose to stay around 10-30g of carbs. I know some who prefer zero carbs for their digestive and energy issues.

Some start at 20g to get into ketosis faster (often combined with exercise and mct oil) and then there are others who slowly ease down to 50g (or 30g or 20g or 12g, etc).

Others go to 20g because they find more stimulates their appetite and cravings.

Do what works best for you. If 20g works, great! If zero works, fine. If you choose 45g, that is fine too. You may even find that you prefer more carbs, and don't need ketones for your health, you may want to go up to 100g and not worry about ketosis at all. Ketones aren't needed for weight loss, so if 100g works, then use that level.

Good luck. :)
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    PQ4321 wrote: »

I take lantus also and am doing keto using under 50 grams of carbs. I have over 100 pounds to lose also. It has been about 2 1/2months for me and I have lost about 25 pounds also. I have been slowly reducing my need for insulin and went from 70 units to 30 units of lantus as I have lost weight and become more in tune with the diet. It takes a while to get into the mindset. I am working with a weight loss doctor and he seems to believe that diabetics taking insulin CAN go into ketosis. I will have to ask about this specifically next time I am in. My calorie limit is 2000 and here is my breakdown, 50G carb (10%) 100G Protein (20%) 156G Fat (70%). My breakdown for each meal is Breakfast 30% (600 calories) Lunch 25% (500 calories) Dinner 30% (600 calories) Snack 15% (300 Calories). I try to stay pretty close to those, BUT occasionally have larger breakfasts and smaller lunches, but try to keep to the calorie count. At first I DID go over calories also and my doctor said to concentrate on keeping below 50 carbs and then tweak to lower calories. Hope this helps. You can friend me if you like, it seems we are on a similar journey.

Nice explanation. :) and Congrats!

A good thing to note there is how protein is moderate. with a lot to lose, you dont want to go too low with that. As calories come down, as you lose weight, fat and carbs can be cut to accommodate the caloric drop, but not protein.
  • tammyfranks2
    Options
    judyring wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to get the carbs to register net carbs. On fitness pal just started KETO

no way to do net carbs other then , fiber minus carb and then write it in the box for other things at the bottom of the food page ....like 8 carbs and 6 fiber so net carbs are 2 I have my fiber and my carbs right next to each other as well , so people can see how I subtracted .
  • cherylk
    cherylk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started my second week. I really love it. I did weigh my self on day 5 and I was down 9 pounds. I couldn't believe it. We will see what the scale says again on Saturday. People say not to look at the scale, but now I just hafta!!!!! I am having a hard time getting the exact #'s on Protein and Fat I always seem to be just a smidge low. Then the calories stare me in the face, but those #'s are always under the goal. I can not believe how much you get to eat with this. Why did it take me so long to try this?!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    judyring wrote: »

I've heard that this works:
    http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/
  • tammyfranks2
    Options
    @nvmomketo HEY That worked Thank You so much now , my food counter is set to 70% fat and so on , so awesome , really thanks!!!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    No problem. :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    mspurple67 wrote: »
    HI. i just started. day 3 for me and so far i'm loving it. still unsure how many calories i should be eating, the macro stuff is confusing me. but in 2 days, i've lost 2-1/2 lbs. must be doing something right!

It's called water weight. If you're weighing yourself 3 days later thinking you'll see your progress you're missing the mark.

Why would you be doing keto to lose weight but not ensure you're in a caloric deficit? You'll gain weight. Keto or not if you eat in a surplus just so you know.