Wait, this salsa is cooked?

Why?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    No, no, no. This is all wrong...
  • Nancyhusanu
    Options
    Jicama!! Also love it over baked potatoes, grilled chicken or fish!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Wait, this salsa is cooked?

Why?

for red salsa, i would only roast the peppers, and even then i'm not sure if i would always. i like my salsa very chunky and with way, way, way more cilantro. i also don't really have a recipe, i just add things to taste. i sometimes add a little olive oil, but it's not very often. mostly it's better to add the acid (lemon juice / vinegar) and i can't imagine a salsa without a ton of onions. sometimes i add cabbage, too. or shredded carrot. i've had authentic salsa with these items...

for salsa verde the base is made with tomatillos, so those are best roasted and then the salsa is cooked at the end to infuse flavors. it's mostly a smooth salsa anyway (and ridiculously delicious). i've had raw tomatillo salsa, but it's not nearly as good.
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I used to love baked tostitos scoops. I can't get them in the UK : (
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone through the responses, but if you want store bought ones, I love the Xochitl brand. They some in organic and unsalted versions. They're super thin and traditional. Simple ingredients, nothing fancy. Corn, water, oil, lime. And yummy! I love them!

If you decide to check em out, they come in a brown paperish bag - I usually see them in the organic/natural section of the chip aisle, sadly on the lower shelves.
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    just so u know now i am hungry lol and im so going to try this
  • beckyobsm
    beckyobsm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I microwaved an entire zucchini for three minutes last week and then added salsa.... it was glorious! And very filling for under 100 calories (I'd wager more like 50 calories!)
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!!! With the ones that didn't really like the salsa recipe.. do you have any good ones?
  • lisadhancock
    Options
    I eat La Favorita Corn Chips and they are wonderful and low sodium and low cal.

For salsa I use roma tomatoes, jalepenos, onion, cilantro, habanero, lemon juice and garlic powder. Blend it up and serve, so good.
  • MJStory
    MJStory Posts: 42
    Options
    Try fried pork skin (Also available baked, instead). These chips have protein in them, are relatively low in fat, and are great for dipping! Great for a change of pace.

MJStory
  • schiggs
    schiggs Posts: 3
    Options
    I make my own chips. Take a corn tortilla cut it in triangles. Lay on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt if desired. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. They are really good and very low in fat!
  • LadyMarylou
    LadyMarylou Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    baked pieces of seasonned wheat pita are good with salsa!
    (1 tbs of olive oil with salt pepper cumin paprika then mix with the pita pieces)
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Veggies are great with dips. I love hummus with celery/carrots. However, sometimes you just need some satisfying crunchiness. These chips have both crunch AND a healthy nutritional profile. Gluten free as well. And 22 chips is a very generous serving.

Lentil Chips by Mediterranean Snacks

http://www.mediterraneansnackfoods.com/products/lentil-chips-cracked-pepper/

For 1 oz serving (about 22 chips):

- 120 cals
    - 3 grams fat
    - 19 grams carbs
    - 3 grams fiber
    - 4 grams protein