Options
124»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I see a pattern in this thread (and others) of men advising a female OP to ignore exercise calories.

I seek a named exemption to the above statement! :confused:

Likewise
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I see a pattern in this thread (and others) of men advising a female OP to ignore exercise calories.
    I seek a named exemption to the above statement! :confused:
    Likewise
    I think @kimny72 needs her afternoon coffee--she's starting to miss things!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    People lose weight in different ways. I have noticed that I lose some, stay on a mini plateau for a few days, even a couple of weeks and than drop some more weight. It's like climbing down steps - annoying but part of my long term goal.
  • rdruken
    rdruken Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fantastic replies guys, thanks for all the help!
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    And, to add to this, if you're going to eat out, and you can't get the recipe, use something like the Aramark or Sodexo entries for the particular item. Those two companies are the largest catering/food service providers in the United States, and even if it's not 100 percent accurate, the odds are really good that it's going to be the closest thing to the real thing that you can get. And it is far better than some generic entry from some other user when you have absolutely no idea of what went in it, or how it was prepared.

Thank you for this tip! I had no idea :)

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    It may well be true that you have logging issues, but it sounds like you are logging the same way you did when you lost 17 pounds. There is a school of thought that suggests that after successfully restricting calories and exercising, and having some weight loss, your body tries to adapt to the new intake/exercise. You could try increasing your intake by a 100 cal/day (so that over a week you eat an additional 700 cal), and see what happens. Read the groups for EM2WL (Eat More to Weigh Less) if you want more info.

Yeah, there's the whole part of as you lose weight, there's a smaller margin, and thus you run out of slop.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It may well be true that you have logging issues, but it sounds like you are logging the same way you did when you lost 17 pounds. There is a school of thought that suggests that after successfully restricting calories and exercising, and having some weight loss, your body tries to adapt to the new intake/exercise. You could try increasing your intake by a 100 cal/day (so that over a week you eat an additional 700 cal), and see what happens. Read the groups for EM2WL (Eat More to Weigh Less) if you want more info.

Yeah, there's the whole part of as you lose weight, there's a smaller margin, and thus you run out of slop.

Big time! I know I'm a lazy logger, so set my deficit lower to allow padding for my margin of error, then review my log at the end of the night and see if I have wiggle room.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    I would recommend that you work out for the health benefits and not the dietary advantage you think you are getting. Unless you are going balls-to-the-walls for an hour plus, I would either skip logging it or just manually enter it with a 1 calorie burn, then focus on your diet.

I exercise for maybe 30-40 minutes at a time and almost never eat back my "recorded" calories burned because, a) I don't burn enough to create that much extra hunger and, b) if I am creating a deficit I'll just hit my goals that much faster.

I think your iWatch is leading you astray...

Weight loss goals are done in the kitchen, health goals are done in the gym (or on the road or in your basement exercising or whatever). I think the majority of your issues will be solved by tightening up your logging.

And if you aren't sure what the correct way to measure or track some food that you didn't make when you are out and about or at a friends house? Don't eat it. That's my way of handling those scenarios. Garbage data in = garbage results.

While it may work in the short-term, for the not-very-active, or for those with a lot to lose, completely disregarding calories burnt through activity can be a risky strategy. On some level, most people need to account for the calories they're burning through activity if they want to continue to have good energy and keep progressing in their fitness.

Understood, I was merely stating that in her case there seems to be a disconnect between her actual exercise calories burned and what shes tracking so maybe to remove the tracking component in order to get a better grasp on the CI component for a while, with the stipulation that unless she was really exercising a large amount then she would have to account for that and eat some back. Wasn't espousing a permanent plan of action.
    I would recommend that you work out for the health benefits and not the dietary advantage you think you are getting. Unless you are going balls-to-the-walls for an hour plus, I would either skip logging it or just manually enter it with a 1 calorie burn, then focus on your diet.

I exercise for maybe 30-40 minutes at a time and almost never eat back my "recorded" calories burned because, a) I don't burn enough to create that much extra hunger and, b) if I am creating a deficit I'll just hit my goals that much faster.

I think your iWatch is leading you astray...

Weight loss goals are done in the kitchen, health goals are done in the gym (or on the road or in your basement exercising or whatever). I think the majority of your issues will be solved by tightening up your logging.

And if you aren't sure what the correct way to measure or track some food that you didn't make when you are out and about or at a friends house? Don't eat it. That's my way of handling those scenarios. Garbage data in = garbage results.

I see a pattern in this thread (and others) of men advising a female OP to ignore exercise calories. When your TDEE is over 2000 cals, maybe it's fine to ignore 200 exercise cals. When you are a short woman who has to eat 1300 cals to lose even a small amount of weight, those 200 calories are magical gifts of sanity from the great beyond. And ignoring them could put you below the 1200 cal net minimum.

OP, I think your issues are all pretty basic, which is good news :)
    1. Your logging is a little off.
    2. Your exercise cals are a little over-estimated.
    3. You are being a little impatient.

With 20 lbs left to go, you should be expecting to lose 0.5-1 lb per week, and water weight fluctuations are going to easily mask that rate of loss from week to week.Hang in there and good luck!

Sorry, not trying to be insensitive to females or the differences they have to deal with. It was merely an observation that some of her exercise calories logged were on the high side and didn't seem like her workouts were of the extreme kind to require a lot of additional calories to support, so was trying to help gain focus and clarity around the CI portion not the CO of the equation.

Hope that makes sense? And how do you know I'm a man? Did you just assume my gender? ;)

I think there's a big difference between "exercise calories can be inflated and you want to make sure you are considering that" and "ignore exercise calories." In either case, thanks for clarifying you aren't recommending it as a long-term approach.