Calorie defecit not losing weight

Options

Replies

• rdruken
    rdruken Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i6vq67kiokrq.jpg
    yibajihps5xn.jpg

heres my workout from thursday on the apple watch info screen. The other includes my weights, some walking, jumping jacks, boxer bounces and machine use. I know it isnt perfect but I am finding it more accurate seeming than my fitbit used to which matches with the research saying its about as good as you can get in a wearable but I'll put this here just for anyones interest.

In terms of eating I will crack down on things I can't measure and stick to things I can to see if that helps. The thing I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is that most days even if my over estimations of burn and underestimates of eating was off by even 500 calories I should still lose like half a pound a week at least, It just seems like there should be room in these calculations for a fair amount of error that should still cause loss.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I see some things that may be no better than guesses like "Dessert - Lemon Meringue Pie, 0.1125 th of a pie." I agree with @stanmann571 that you want to be weighing your condiments, especially calorie-dense things like mayo. You have a fair amount of generic entries (like "Generic - Stuffing, 0.2 cup") and these are often no better than guesses. Things like "Homemade - Healthy Apple Crisp, 1 slice" were created by other people -- you have no idea what ingredients they used, how big their "slice" was, etc. Things like "Apple crisp - Apple crisp, 0.26666680000000004 slice" -- how are you possibly measuring that (even if the database entry matches the apple crisp you're eating)?

Don't know that this is the case with the OP, but just want to point out that entries like that are sometimes the result of weighing your portion but only having a "serving size" entry available. My homemade entries often say 1.2 servings, or something like that, but it's based on the designated gram weight per serving.

These are homemade/generic entries created by other users, not by OP.

I get what you're saying you're doing and that's a perfectly accurate way to log.

I know- I was only addressing the "how are you possibly measuring that" comment :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I see some things that may be no better than guesses like "Dessert - Lemon Meringue Pie, 0.1125 th of a pie." I agree with @stanmann571 that you want to be weighing your condiments, especially calorie-dense things like mayo. You have a fair amount of generic entries (like "Generic - Stuffing, 0.2 cup") and these are often no better than guesses. Things like "Homemade - Healthy Apple Crisp, 1 slice" were created by other people -- you have no idea what ingredients they used, how big their "slice" was, etc. Things like "Apple crisp - Apple crisp, 0.26666680000000004 slice" -- how are you possibly measuring that (even if the database entry matches the apple crisp you're eating)?

Don't know that this is the case with the OP, but just want to point out that entries like that are sometimes the result of weighing your portion but only having a "serving size" entry available. My homemade entries often say 1.2 servings, or something like that, but it's based on the designated gram weight per serving.

These are homemade/generic entries created by other users, not by OP.

I get what you're saying you're doing and that's a perfectly accurate way to log.

I know- I was only addressing the "how are you possibly measuring that" comment :)

You're right -- going by weight and using a serving size-based entry could result in something like that.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    rdruken wrote: »
    well on the average day my active calories is about 550, but that includes about 400 cal at the gym and I have to walk a fair ways into school so I think a hundred other calories above my BMR is pretty reasonable for the watch to calculate

How are you calculating that? Are you using a high-quality and properly calibrated heart rate monitor? If not, you're almost guaranteed to be overestimating your burns.

Even the best HRMs when you adjust V02Max and Max HR, are still only good estimatores in certain circumstances/parameters, namely steady state cardio. Once you add interval or anaerobic exercises to the equation, they are not even close to accurate, may as well make up a number that seems right in those cases.

To close the circle back to the OP, for light weight training and calisthenics, just accept those calories as bonus. Take the distance you've run. Put it through the runner's world calculator and use that number.

If you're walking any meaningful distance (over 1 mile aggregate), do the same.

Use those numbers for 4 weeks and see how you progress.

https://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

Strength training is good and nice, but not generally a significant contributor to calorie burn.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i6vq67kiokrq.jpg
    yibajihps5xn.jpg

heres my workout from thursday on the apple watch info screen. The other includes my weights, some walking, jumping jacks, boxer bounces and machine use. I know it isnt perfect but I am finding it more accurate seeming than my fitbit used to which matches with the research saying its about as good as you can get in a wearable but I'll put this here just for anyones interest.

In terms of eating I will crack down on things I can't measure and stick to things I can to see if that helps. The thing I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is that most days even if my over estimations of burn and underestimates of eating was off by even 500 calories I should still lose like half a pound a week at least, It just seems like there should be room in these calculations for a fair amount of error that should still cause loss.

On average you have lost that much though. weekly weight can be skewed due to hydration, TOM, undigested food in your system, among other things. So even if over two weeks you expected to lose 3 lbs, but scale only shows 1, you may be retaining 2 lbs of water, or your logging was off, both would be quite common.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    i6vq67kiokrq.jpg
    yibajihps5xn.jpg

For the elliptical, that's probably pretty close to right.

For the calisthenics. It's high by at least double and probably closer to triple.

Yup. The elliptical seems right. The rest... not so much.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    i6vq67kiokrq.jpg
    yibajihps5xn.jpg

You need to incorporate a longer pull through time in this. There will be a minimum 5-7 day delay in any measurable loss/gain following a change in behavior. Any immediate change in weight is water weight as you are ~55-65% water to begin with. On a personal note I typically lose 5 lbs water weight on a run.
  • rdruken
    rdruken Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ok so I will continue going to the gym and put less emphasis on my active calories. I'm having a hard time because as others have said I'm so short that my BMR is really only 1500-1600 calories so in order to get a deficit in there and not starve I need some extra calories gone in exercise. I'll try to tighten in on my food tracking even more and continue to see if I get anywhere. Just frustrating that I've put in so much effort this year and gotten nowhere, some months tracking through weight watchers and myfitnesspal only to maintain. Thanks for all your advice.