Calorie defecit not losing weight

Options

Replies

• rdruken
    rdruken Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The advice from janejellyroll is helpful. See with things like the vodka cran night I was on a pubcrawl with my class and It literally consisted of me sharing that vodka cran with a friend as we ran to the next bar, that kind of night isnt common it was more of a one time thing. The vodka cran was mostly ice, 1.5 ounces of vodka and then some cranberry juice so when i only had the rest after my friend couldn't finish it I figured 104 calories should be a fair over estimation of my share to air on the safe side.

with things like easter pie and apple crisp made at a friends house I can't exactly get an ingredient list where I didn't make it so my weird decimal numbers are how I attempt to estimate the things I have no way to measure. Is there a better way to approach items like this that don't have restaurant calories available or anything? after over a year of tracking i figured my best guess at those Items would be within reason based on similar ones I've had before
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    rdruken wrote: »
    well on the average day my active calories is about 550, but that includes about 400 cal at the gym and I have to walk a fair ways into school so I think a hundred other calories above my BMR is pretty reasonable for the watch to calculate

400 calories for 20 minutes of cardio seems pretty high.

I'm 230 lbs and male and I don't get to 400 calories until I get past 30 minutes of running.

50% or better overestimation of burn and 25% underestimation of calories and bingo! Maintenance.

Yup. I'm on the petite-er side, but I can't even hit 400 calories unless I'm getting close to a 5-mile run. It's definitely not happening in 20 minutes.

And weight training certainly wouldn't burn *that* many to make up the difference between the cardio and the total. Especially not just with hand weights and machines.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    The time frame is not long enough to make any sort of accurate assessment, but I agree with the other veteran posters that you need to tighten up on logging. Simply put if you aren't losing you have yet to establish a caloric deficit.

You need to be patient with this though. 2 weeks is not long enough and why experts give 6 weeks before declaring a "plateau" (which is nonsense, but provides something else to cast aspersions onto).

Also you need to be realistic about the rate of loss as this will decay as you trend towards your "optimal" weight. Your body naturally wants to keep its energy reserves (fat) and will slow down fat burning as your deficit continues. Expect a .5-1 lb/week loss for those last 10-20 lbs.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting does burn calories, but it doesn't burn as much as you think.

Based on my observed TDEE (i.e. at what calorie intake level I maintain weight) estimations of calorie burn for weight lifting overshoots by 2-3x depending on method (I've tried the old UA39 hear rate monitor, apple watch, Polar H7 heart rate monitor, UA record's estimation database). I'd get credit for 500-700 calories per hour lifting where my TDEE only goes up ~200 cals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah, start with tightening things up in regards to your logging. It's not unusual to be able to get away with inaccuracies early on...but you don't get away with them forever.

I'd say your diary is the most glaring issue followed by calorie expenditure estimates.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    rdruken wrote: »
    well on the average day my active calories is about 550, but that includes about 400 cal at the gym and I have to walk a fair ways into school so I think a hundred other calories above my BMR is pretty reasonable for the watch to calculate

How are you calculating that? Are you using a high-quality and properly calibrated heart rate monitor? If not, you're almost guaranteed to be overestimating your burns.

Even the best HRMs when you adjust V02Max and Max HR, are still only good estimatores in certain circumstances/parameters, namely steady state cardio. Once you add interval or anaerobic exercises to the equation, they are not even close to accurate, may as well make up a number that seems right in those cases.