is it possible to make a waist smaller in width

Options

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

sardelsa wrote: »
    I know in the past you were asking about weight training, have you been lifting while you have lost those 10lbs? If you have been and haven't seen positive changes, you probably want to start building muscle. At this point I would definitely start looking into recomposition, not sure if more weight loss, even with lifting will give you the results you are after.

Yes i have been weight training.

Have you been following a proper program? Inadequate programming could also play a factor. Anyhow, I would definitely recommend looking into recomp

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    So, you're 5'3" with a 28" waist, and I gather (guess) that you're chest , naval and waist probably don't vary off of that much... I still have a hard time believing your measurements are 27" x 28" x 27" (Guessing, as you said your waist is the widest part of your body). BUT Even if they were, like the others have said, recomp is your best bet. If you are concerned about a stomach pooch, you may look into core exercises to improve your posture, and reduce the way it sticks out. It won't reduce fat there, because that's impossible to spot reduce, it may give you the appearance of a flatter stomach. 5'3" with a 28" waist is very healthy. Don't let what you're seeing in the mirror get you down. I'm willing to bet that no one else is seeing what you're seeing. If you can insert an actual picture of yourself it would help everyone have a better idea of what you're seeing though. If you click the little image of the mountain above the typing field, then click browse, you should be able to upload a photo.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Im 5'6 1/2 43 and 174lbs. I have a 28 inch waist and the smallest it was was 25 when I was like 13. my hips are 38.5 inches. so my hips are larger than my waist. couldnt imagine it being the other way around. I dont think my waist is going to get much smaller even if I do lose the rest of the weight.at 140 I had the same size waist as I do now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    @altairego21 you can make your waist look smaller by making your booty, hips, and shoulders bigger: Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    A 28" waist is thick? That's my waist, and I have never thought of myself as having a thick waist before. I may not have a tiny, hour-glass waist, but my abs are flat, so it's all good to me. But maybe it's because I'm taller (5'7") so it doesn't look as "thick" as it might on a shorter person? It's still hard to imagine a 28" waist as being overly "wide." It sounds pretty normal to me. If that's the widest part of your body, what are you hip and shoulder measurements?

Edit: Saw the picture, understand what she is saying now, if she loses those last 5-10 pounds and does some lifting I think she'll be fine.

I'm trying to figure out how a 28" waist can be the widest part of a person's body. Does she not have shoulders? I can see it possibly being wider than, or the same width as, very slim hips, but not shoulders.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, I think sometimes we have to learn to love the shape we've got. My teenaged daughter wears a size 2 and is not overweight. However, she has a thick middle. Like I do, like her dad does, like her grandmother had. Her grandmother never weighed over 100 pounds but always had a thicker middle. We're also all short waisted so that affects how we "look." If you have fat to lose, go for it but if you are shaped a certain way, there's not a lot you can do about it. Except build up some other parts, as others have suggested, if you think you'd like how that looks.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    A 28" waist is not a thick waist even at 5ft 3 - genetics have a lot to do with our waist sizes, we can't spot reduce but losing more pounds will probably make a difference.
    I started off at 5ft 2 at 154lbs with a 31" waist, I'm now 125lbs and my waist is 25.5. I workout regularly (lift weights/cycle/walk) but it wasn't any specific exercise that made my waist smaller other than losing weight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If your shoulder/chest, waist and hip measurements are fairly close together and you are at a healthy weight you may have to accept that that is your natural shape. Look up rectangle body shape.

28" is not a large waist. If it is much larger than your hips and chest measurements at a healthy weight that would be odd and maybe you should get checked out medically. A distended or swollen abdomen can be a sign of a medical problem.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I am also 5'3" and my waist has never been smaller than 27" since I passed puberty. Not even when I weighed 95 pounds as a teenager. It's just the way I'm built - long legs and a short waist. I currently weigh about 118 and I have a 28" waist. I don't think it's going to get any smaller and I'm okay with that. Some of us are not designed for curves. :smile:
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It's less that your waist is "wide" and more that your hips are small, perhaps. You can get a bit of a smaller waist, MAYBE, with a little fat loss. But you're already in a healthy weight range. If you're unhappy with your body composition, you can work on it and create an appearance you like more...without changing your waist much (larger shoulders, maybe bigger thighs, etc).

I am 5'4" and 147. I also have a 28" waist and I do prefer 26 or 27 myself. I have to be at least 128-133 for that though.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I'd have to see a picture... it could be genetic.

Except that isn't her. It's a CGI model she "feels" she looks like. And the model was 36/28/32, if I remember correctly. Which means the waist is not the widest part of the body. I suspect some body dysmorphia.

The model's hips are 37.5, not 32.

I agree that maybe OP has narrower hips, and that's why she thinks her waist is "wide."
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Reducing body fat will make your mid section smaller. Of note, building muscle on your hips, butt, chest and shoulders will also make you look curvier
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Here's a link to a pic of female athletes (can't get photobucket to load or I'd put it in the post) and you can see that several of them don't have nipped in waists--their body is more rectangular. As a pp said, it's genetics.

http://www.basicknowledge101.com/photos/2014photos/womeninsports3.jpg
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Im 5'6 1/2 43 and 174lbs. I have a 28 inch waist and the smallest it was was 25 when I was like 13. my hips are 38.5 inches. so my hips are larger than my waist. couldnt imagine it being the other way around. I dont think my waist is going to get much smaller even if I do lose the rest of the weight.at 140 I had the same size waist as I do now.
    Are you in to weightlifting?
    Youbhave great measurments for somebody yiur height and weight. I wish i looked liked that.
    Im 5' 55" and weigh 156 and my waist is 32 to 33 " and my hips are 39.5. :(