TDEE calculator gives me more calories than MFP!??

Options
i'm kind of confused... went to TDEEcalculator.net and it said with all my stats i entered that I should be eating a little over 1800 cals to lose a pound a week, and MFP says 1670!?? am i getting ripped off some calories!? lol what to do? and why are they different outcomes?! also italy's my body itself just by being alive burns 1510 a day (BMI) so have I been under eating at 1670 a day!? ... i'm active btw i exercise cardio and strength train 4-6 days a week for over an hour a day.. weigh 158 ' i'm 5"8 ... could anyone with experience help me with some input'? hit another plateau it seems

Replies

• Toshberry25M
    Toshberry25M Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    also *It says *
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't include exercise, you're supposed to add it.
  • Toshberry25M
    Options
    sooo eat more!? or stay at 1670!?! it's the confusion
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Just two different methods to account for your exercise - they would most likely end up in the same place when averaged out over and extended period.
    Pick the method you prefer.

If you aren't getting the expected results over many weeks then it's most likely your logging that's off.
    A diary open to the public would help and you haven't given any real timeline of what has been happening.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

MFP is your 1670 plus exercise calories.
    TDEE includes exercise calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    What are your activity level settings in both calculators? The difference is 130 calories, which is pretty small.
  • Toshberry25M
    Options
    but it says i burn 1510 just for being alive... so eating just 160 cals over is good!? plus i can burn up to 500 cals a day in exercise so is that good or too low!?
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    but it says i burn 1510 just for being alive... so eating just 160 cals over is good!? plus i can burn up to 500 cals a day in exercise so is that good or too low!?

I burn around 1800 just being alive...I lose weight eating 2300-2500 calories per day at the rate of about 1 Lb per week...you don't cut from BMR, you cut from TDEE or NEAT. My TDEE (maintenance) is around 2800-3000...way more than my BMR.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice and just confusing yourself by looking at multiple calculators because you don't understand the methodologies in place.

TDEE and MFP are basically 6 of 1, half dozen of the other if you're doing it right and comparing apples to apples rate of loss targets...the only difference is where you account for exercise.
  • Toshberry25M
    Options
    well if i eat the 1670 and add exercise am i suppose to eat the cals back!? or just stick with tdee calculator and eat a even 1800 a week and successfully lose a pound a week!? cause sometimes after adding mfp exercise cals it says to eat 400-600cals extra from the exercise that would put me eating over 2000 cals a day, it's confusing and i don't want to stay "stalled with all this!
  • Toshberry25M
    Options
    basically i feel i am overeating some days and other days i feel i'm under eating' bits balancing out my weight and i want it to go down obviously... i have it set to lose 1.5 pounds a week and for a couple weeks at a time the scale doesn't budge or goes up and down,for instance 158-161
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    well if i eat the 1670 and add exercise am i suppose to eat the cals back!? or just stick with tdee calculator and eat a even 1800 a week and successfully lose a pound a week!? cause sometimes after adding mfp exercise cals it says to eat 400-600cals extra from the exercise that would put me eating over 2000 cals a day, it's confusing and i don't want to stay "stalled with all this!

what is your activity level set to?
  • Toshberry25M
    Options
    moderate.. but like i said 4-6 days a week for over an hr a day sometimes 2 ... cardio and WT so i'm probably more towards 'really active'
  • cwolfman13
    edited April 2018
    Options
    moderate.. but like i said 4-6 days a week for over an hr a day sometimes 2 ... cardio and WT so i'm probably more towards 'really active'

Do you have it set to moderate with MFP as well to account for exercise...if you do, then you wouldn't eat back exercise calories because you'd be double dipping. MFP intends your activity level to by your day to day hum drum without exercise which is why people log and eat back calories...that's why you see no mention of exercise in the MFP activity level setting.

You're only getting a 130 calorie difference between the two calculators which could simply be a % cut from TDEE not equating to exactly 1.5 Lbs or whatever or it could just be the different algorithm used.

Ultimately, your own data should be used to determine adjustments. If I'm not losing at the average rate I intend to over time (not exactly every week) then I know I'm eating too much regardless of what some calculator says. There are a lot of inherent inaccuracies that come with calorie counting...so even if you think you're eating XXXX calories, you may very well be eating YYYY calories simply due to inherent inaccuracies.

Make adjustments as per your real world results, not what a calculator tells you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

On MyFitnessPal your activity setting is absolutely nothing to do with your exercise - which should explain to you why exercise is added separately after the event.
    On here activity is just job and lifestyle. Notice no mention of exercise....
    ay4phbv9wls8.png

On a TDEE site activity and exercise are lumped together into one adjustment.

(If you use the quote functionality people can see what questions you are responding to.)
  • Toshberry25M
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

On MyFitnessPal your activity setting is absolutely nothing to do with your exercise - which should explain to you why exercise is added separately after the event.
    On here activity is just job and lifestyle. Notice no mention of exercise....
    ay4phbv9wls8.png

On a TDEE site activity and exercise are lumped together into one adjustment.

(If you use the quote functionality people can see what questions you are responding to.)

sooooo Eat back the exercise calories they add to my daily log!? or No!? basically asking do i stay at 1670 all week long even tho i exercise a lot !? or eat back those calories that i exercise!?