TDEE calculator gives me more calories than MFP!??

Options

Replies

• ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    moderate.. but like i said 4-6 days a week for over an hr a day sometimes 2 ... cardio and WT so i'm probably more towards 'really active'

On MyFitnessPal your activity setting is absolutely nothing to do with your exercise - which should explain to you why exercise is added separately after the event.
    On here activity is just job and lifestyle. Notice no mention of exercise....
    ay4phbv9wls8.png

On a TDEE site activity and exercise are lumped together into one adjustment.

(If you use the quote functionality people can see what questions you are responding to.)

sooooo Eat back the exercise calories they add to my daily log!? or No!? basically asking do i stay at 1670 all week long even tho i exercise a lot !? or eat back those calories that i exercise!?

If using MFP calculator then yes, make sure you have your daily activity level set correctly then log your exercise and eat back at least a portion of it. You will probably find that averaged over a week both methods will have a similar amount of calories.
    Also if you feel hungrier on some days than others there is no harm in saving calories from one day to eat the next asong as you are getting your desired weekly deficit.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    moderate.. but like i said 4-6 days a week for over an hr a day sometimes 2 ... cardio and WT so i'm probably more towards 'really active'

On MyFitnessPal your activity setting is absolutely nothing to do with your exercise - which should explain to you why exercise is added separately after the event.
    ay4phbv9wls8.png

(If you use the quote functionality people can see what questions you are responding to.)

sooooo Eat back the exercise calories they add to my daily log!? or No!? basically asking do i stay at 1670 all week long even tho i exercise a lot !? or eat back those calories that i exercise!?

You need to go back into your activity setting and change it. If you have it set to "active" or "lightly active" because of the amount of exercise you do, your numbers are wrong on MFP. Think of how your day would be if you never worked out. What would your day be like? Just getting out of bed, getting ready for the day, being at work, and doing whatever you do at home and running errands in the day. And be honest. How active does just that day make you? If your normal day is mostly sitting in the car and sitting at work, and just normal daily things, the setting should be sedentary or lightly active. MFP will give you a calorie goal based on that setting.

Then, once you exercise on top of that, that is the number you should work with for MFP. Then, depending on who you talk to, and what device you use, and overestimated calorie burns, many suggest only eating back 50% of your exercise calories.
  • Toshberry25M
    Toshberry25M Posts: 47 Member
    Options

ay4phbv9wls8.png

You need to go back into your activity setting and change it. If you have it set to "active" or "lightly active" because of the amount of exercise you do, your numbers are wrong on MFP. Think of how your day would be if you never worked out. What would your day be like? Just getting out of bed, getting ready for the day, being at work, and doing whatever you do at home and running errands in the day. And be honest. How active does just that day make you? If your normal day is mostly sitting in the car and sitting at work, and just normal daily things, the setting should be sedentary or lightly active. MFP will give you a calorie goal based on that setting.

Then, once you exercise on top of that, that is the number you should work with for MFP. Then, depending on who you talk to, and what device you use, and overestimated calorie burns, many suggest only eating back 50% of your exercise calories.

ok can you help me with deciding what I should choose!? LOL i'm so so confused about this part when choosing this.... I am a stay at home mom of two kids , I'm always cleaning i do laundry twice a week , chase kids around and i don't really just "sit around" i'm usually running in the backyard or doing jumping jacks and running errands sometimes cause i hate just sitting around makes me depressed... I sometimes mow my yard .. i cook do dishes, idk which to choose my husband says i'm active but i wonder between that and lightly active !? any suggestions!?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Pick one and track your progress with a tape measure or body weight scale. Are losing too fast, not fast enough, not losing at all? Real world results will be in your food diary.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

ay4phbv9wls8.png

ok can you help me with deciding what I should choose!? LOL i'm so so confused about this part when choosing this.... I am a stay at home mom of two kids , I'm always cleaning i do laundry twice a week , chase kids around and i don't really just "sit around" i'm usually running in the backyard or doing jumping jacks and running errands sometimes cause i hate just sitting around makes me depressed... I sometimes mow my yard .. i cook do dishes, idk which to choose my husband says i'm active but i wonder between that and lightly active !? any suggestions!?

I don't have kids, but my sister has 2 small ones. 4 and 2 yrs old. She is a stay at home mom and I'm over there sometimes with her all day. I know that woman never sits down. It's just run, run, run.

You have to chose one, stay with it for a while to access if it's the right choice and calibrate from there. So maybe you start with "lightly active", and see what number MFP gives you. Remember, the calories maybe lower because this will not include any of the exercise calories you will accumulate. Then, consider eating back only a portion of your exercise calories, and you will probably see yourself losing again.
  • OliverRaningerVegan
    OliverRaningerVegan Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    i dont know maybe
  • Live_life_well
    Live_life_well Posts: 86 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I spent a weekend chasing two little ones around and doing errands. I clocked in ~15k steps on my Fitbit per day.

If your little ones are anything like the two fireballs I had to babysit, you are active!
  • Jrpwgr
    Jrpwgr Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    basically i feel i am overeating some days and other days i feel i'm under eating' bits balancing out my weight and i want it to go down obviously... i have it set to lose 1.5 pounds a week and for a couple weeks at a time the scale doesn't budge or goes up and down,for instance 158-161

That's normal...weight loss isn't a linear line down, it's a trend over time...it looks like this:

weighttrendgraph1.gif

Where is this graph from, and WHERE CAN I GET ONE? thanks!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    Happy scale iphone, libra android. trendweight.com web (supported scale or free fitbit.com account available without a device). weightgrapher.com (supported scale or manual data entry, csv file import). or others, I am sure, are now available.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options

ay4phbv9wls8.png

If you pick MFP, start with Lightly Active, eat back at least half your exercise calories and monitor your weight loss over a period of 4-6 weeks. Adjust as necessary based on real world results (average weight loss vs expected weight loss)

If you pick TDEE, you will need to stop logging any exercises in MFP and set a manual calorie goal and again monitor your loss over 4-6 weeks and adjust accordingly.
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Jrpwgr wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    basically i feel i am overeating some days and other days i feel i'm under eating' bits balancing out my weight and i want it to go down obviously... i have it set to lose 1.5 pounds a week and for a couple weeks at a time the scale doesn't budge or goes up and down,for instance 158-161

That's normal...weight loss isn't a linear line down, it's a trend over time...it looks like this:

weighttrendgraph1.gif

Where is this graph from, and WHERE CAN I GET ONE? thanks!

http://www.weightware.com/weighttrend.htm
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    If you are using the MFP app and tools, why not just stick to numbers that gives you?
  • JoRolleNola
    JoRolleNola Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just got my TDEE done yesterday and it said 1671. I spoke with the nutritionist and he explained that if I don't exercise for the day then that is where my calorie cut off should be for the day. With exercise I can eat as many as 1800-2000 calories a day as long as I have the 1671 deficit I'll continue to lose. MFP doesn not include the TDEE # in its calculation.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    OP, does MFP give you 1670 or was that the TDEE calculator?

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" or TDEE calculator may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.

So if the 1670 is what MFP gives you, then yes, eat at least a portion of the exercise calories back (the reason I don't say all, is that most estimates for cals burned are on the high side)
  • keeler521
    keeler521 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I personally use a combination of both. Because the MFP confuses me as well, I take my TDEE Calc sedentary calulation - 500 and make that the MFP calorie daily goal. set exercise to zero, activity to sedentary, and log everything, including exercise. Set recommended macros to make sure I'm getting enough protein. My TDEE says 1913 Cals to maintain, 1413 to lose 1lb a week. Thats my goal manually set inside MFP. I use a Polar H10 chest heart rate monitor for cardio and calorie counting. Input my morning cardio, and this allows me to eat back an accurate amount of calories. My goal at the end of the day is to be around my 1413 set count.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    First, I think your weight was 150s-160s?. You should not be set to lose 1.5 lbs. per week. Unless you are 5'0 or less the most you should lose is 40-50 lbs. which will not sustain 1.5. Lbs. easily.

I think mfp is very easy. What's confusing about? Just eat the calories it tells you to eat.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

You're in a healthy weight range for your height, per BMI. At this point, weight loss is slow and easily masked by fluctuations. You shouldn't have a 1.5 lb/week goal, but if your logging's not accurate, you might be eating more than you think anyway and your deficit might be smaller than you think.

I'm 5'8", low 140s (weighing in at 139.5 this week) and changed my goal to .5 lb/week a long time ago, can't remember exactly when. But, I was about 165 one year ago, April 2017. So, it's taken me one year to lose 25 pounds. Pretty much on track. You need patience and consistency. Use a weight trending app or website. I use trendweight.com, so I could see my weight trending downwards even when I generally stayed at the same weight for days or weeks at a time, minus fluctuations. I weigh nearly every day, so I have a good trend line.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Mr_L33 wrote: »
    i stick with TDEE and not eat back my calories. simple enough.

TDEE is just another way of "eating back your calories," you're just building them into your initial goal and going by a general average.

If done correctly, TDEE and NEAT are just two different ways to get to the same place.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    First, I think your weight was 150s-160s?. You should not be set to lose 1.5 lbs. per week. Unless you are 5'0 or less the most you should lose is 40-50 lbs. which will not sustain 1.5. Lbs. easily.

I think mfp is very easy. What's confusing about? Just eat the calories it tells you to eat.

You'd think, right? And still people don't eat exercise calories. Baffles me a little.

OP, your 500 calories of exercise a day are probably inflated, so I'd eat half back if you decide to go with MFP. I liked TDEE because adding exercise was annoying and I never knew how much I burned.