Keto Diet - Should I try it?

Options

Replies

• vicryan69
    vicryan69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just thought I'd add a suggestion. Instead of looking at it as a diet you need to look at it as a life change. This is due to the fact that whatever life change you decide to try and stick with, you will have to do it for the rest of your life to maintain your goal weight. That makes it a life change.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Everyone’s advice here has been incredibly informative and helpful. Thank you so much!
    While I was toying with the idea of keto partly because of all of the health benefits I’ve heard of, if I’m honest I was ultimately looking for a fast way to lose weight. I realize that’s ridiculous.
    After reading everything here and spending more time researching online, I don’t think I could maintain a keto diet in the long run. I genuinely enjoy carbs. I think I’ll just moderate my intake rather than cut them out completely. And I find that proteins are what actually keep me full, so I’ll incorporate more proteins into my diet.

Again, thank you all for being so incredibly helpful. Feel free to add me!
    Keep up the healthy lifestyles!

Out curiosity, what health benefits do Keto provide for those without metabolic issues? Weight loss and exercise are the bigger drivers of health. Keto only provides additional health benefits if it helps you lose weight; which is just like every diet.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Everyone’s advice here has been incredibly informative and helpful. Thank you so much!
    While I was toying with the idea of keto partly because of all of the health benefits I’ve heard of, if I’m honest I was ultimately looking for a fast way to lose weight. I realize that’s ridiculous.
    After reading everything here and spending more time researching online, I don’t think I could maintain a keto diet in the long run. I genuinely enjoy carbs. I think I’ll just moderate my intake rather than cut them out completely. And I find that proteins are what actually keep me full, so I’ll incorporate more proteins into my diet.

Out curiosity, what health benefits do Keto provide for those without metabolic issues? Weight loss and exercise are the bigger drivers of health. Keto only provides additional health benefits if it helps you lose weight; which is just like every diet.

As I said, I only know what I’ve read here and the research I’ve done online. I’ve read articles that are both pro and con on the issue and both state that those on a keto diet have experienced a higher increase in energy and sport performance as well as a clearer mind when compared to other diets. Again, this is all based on what I’ve read, not personal experience.

It sounds to good to be true, huh. Yep, that is what they want you to believe.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

As I said, I only know what I’ve read here and the research I’ve done online. I’ve read articles that are both pro and con on the issue and both state that those on a keto diet have experienced a higher increase in energy and sport performance as well as a clearer mind when compared to other diets. Again, this is all based on what I’ve read, not personal experience.

Honestly, none of that is true. Not all experience increased energy. Sports performance is largely worse based on the research and a clearer mind seems to be very subjective. Some say they experience it. Some don't.

I would recommend studies and meta analyses instead of articles. Those writing article typically have some kind of bias and are trying to sell something. Studies aren't perfect either but are at least a better jump off point. Meta analyses are the synthesis of multiple studies and the most credible sources.

Keto can be effective if that is your preferred way to eat and it is sustainable for you. But there is no research in over 2000 studies that indicate it has any metabolic advantage for fat loss. It performs the same as any other diet that restricts calories, as others have said.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »
    I liked being on keto but gained 10 pounds on it. I was in ketosis for three months, according to blood tests. Measure your food carefully.

My doctor made me get off of keto for health reasons... it wasn’t for me, but it works for some people. A year later and I’m still in keto recovery mode, but my boyfriend stayed on it and enjoys it. It’s not for everybody so I would just suggest to take it slow and listen to your body and understand that drastic diets can mess with your health and have long term effects. So measure carefully and pay attention to how your body responds. That’d be my advice.

Part of why this is a good post is that it illustrates that ketosis in and of itself doesn't guarantee weight loss. You still have to have a calorie deficit.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I don't think your brain will fuel on ketones (and then only partly) unless you are literally starving for a prolonged period.

When you're eating keto, you're taking in protein, and gluconeogenesis is happening.

Even if you're starving, your body is going to break down your own muscles and some gluconeogenesis is going to happen.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    no

Would you mind telling my why? I'm genuinely looking for information and would like to hear the reasons from both sides. Thanks!

First off keto isn't fast weight loss. Sure low carb gives you an extra boost in water weight loss the first week or two (google low carb flu). This is WATER weight loss, glycogen stores to be exact.

Second ANY (real) fast weight loss method is not going to be as healthy moderate paced weight loss.

All weight loss comes from calorie deficit. Keto has you eliminating one macro almost completely.....that's going to result in calorie restriction, the same as counting calories. Large deficits (fast weight loss) make it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. Fast weight loss doesn't help you reduce body fat % by as much as you could have.