Keto Diet - Should I try it?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    rezart wrote: »
    It should be noted that all the endurance athletes who are supposedly keto carb up for and during events.
    Not sure from top of my head, but there are athletes who have competed while on ketogenic state, and I am talking ultra marathon runners as well, not just a 1 hour cross-fit session, which can be hard as hell on its won. One major issue with competing on ketogenic state is dehydration, as carbs retain water, and if there no carbs to retain water, dehydration is a possibility. Also, Ben Greenfield has tested this and Dr.Pompa him self tried it in real life scenario while going on a 3 hour bike ride (not casual) and did great, while the others were consuming simple sugars. So, there are fat adopted athletes who do not need coke or various gels to power through an event. However, one must understand, not all of us are physiologically gifted as these athletes, and do not exercise 4, 5 hours a day 5 days per week for 10 years. So, I am not saying I can run a marathon on keto diet, but I am sure I could train my body to do so, without losing time or bonking mid race.

This had come up before and no one has ever identified an elite endurance athlete who competes while exclusively doing keto. If you know of some, please list them. Most carb load before competition eg. Chris Froome.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    It should be noted that all the endurance athletes who are supposedly keto carb up for and during events.
    Not sure from top of my head, but there are athletes who have competed while on ketogenic state, and I am talking ultra marathon runners as well, not just a 1 hour cross-fit session, which can be hard as hell on its won. One major issue with competing on ketogenic state is dehydration, as carbs retain water, and if there no carbs to retain water, dehydration is a possibility. Also, Ben Greenfield has tested this and Dr.Pompa him self tried it in real life scenario while going on a 3 hour bike ride (not casual) and did great, while the others were consuming simple sugars. So, there are fat adopted athletes who do not need coke or various gels to power through an event. However, one must understand, not all of us are physiologically gifted as these athletes, and do not exercise 4, 5 hours a day 5 days per week for 10 years. So, I am not saying I can run a marathon on keto diet, but I am sure I could train my body to do so, without losing time or bonking mid race.

A three hour ride is not an endurance event.

Greenfield uses gels during events, just like I said keto athletes do:

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/the-kona-diaries-day-6-official-nutrition-racing-pacing-strategy-for-ironman-hawaii-and-how-to-deal-with-the-pain-cave/
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    HI, I'm 5'1" just looking to lose 18lbs. I just started counting my calories and am toying with the idea of keto. I would be in dire need of support and recipes as pasta and potatoes are staples in my house. I'm curious about how quickly the weight comes off and how healthy that would be. If anyone has any info or just wants to chat and motivate eachother let me know!

No. Just reduce calories by 250 or so and eat what you like. That will be most sustainable and not require support.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

A three hour ride is not an endurance event.

Greenfield uses gels during events, just like I said keto athletes do:

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/the-kona-diaries-day-6-official-nutrition-racing-pacing-strategy-for-ironman-hawaii-and-how-to-deal-with-the-pain-cave/

greenfield also came in 230 overall - 58th in his age group at that Kona - solid performance, but not stellar (he completed in 9:36, the winner went 8:03)
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    saylabud wrote: »
    Read this thread because I'm going to try keto.reasons being non gmo, less preseratives, more natural diet. There are so many chemicals used on our gmo (gmo already horrible) crops "round up ready crops" causing cancer ,allergies, all kinds of diseases. People have problems with stuff like glyphasate poisoning and think it's a gluten allergy.. the list goes on and on.now add in all the preservatives..I know I can lose on a norm diet.I lost 40 lbs and kept off for 3 yrs and then messed up and gained back. But I just want to eat more natural, and our grains and most crops not organic are "not natural any more." And what's preserving our foods blows my mind. Just going to watch potassium and magnesium close ,and convert slow .keto even recomends away fr toxins added in milk and alot off other stuff. And setting body up to burn fat seems a good move. Obviously need some carbs esp when working out harder- be smart and way it out i think. We shouldn't have to change our diets so drastically but man has played god trying to make more- quicker , and has ruined natural carbs in many ways sadly!

I have no problem avoiding GMOs, artificial preservatives (and colors and flavors) without needing keto.

To avoid pesticides, I refer to the Clean 15/Dirty Dozen, buy from local farms, and grow my own produce. Planted some lettuce, kale, and peas seeds Saturday. Bought kale and swiss chard seedlings Sunday, can't wait for it to harden off so I can plant it!

I only have two 4' x 8' garden beds here, but produce enough greens and herbs to get me through late spring to fall.

Considering how few GMOs are actually on the market, pretty much everyone can easily avoid those (not that they're a danger to anyone's health). You're also unlikely avoiding pesticides unless you're absolutely certain the farmers you're buying from aren't using them. EWG's list is nonsense, as are they.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Quite a few keto athletes will consume their carbs while exercising. Many think that eating carbs while exercising is not a ketogenic diet, but those athletes are often ketogenic at all times because they have burned off their carbs. Eating carbs does not mean one is not ketogenic. KWIM? All keto'ers eat carbs. Some choose to eat them around exercise so it is burned off more quickly, but they are still ketogenic athletes.

Are you saying top endurance athletes compete keto? That is what you seem to be implying. If so, please post the proof sources for your assertions.

I'm not sure why you got "top endurance athletes compete keto" from me typing, "Quite a few keto athletes will consume their carbs while exercising." I am guessing that there are some keto top athletes out there, but I have no idea who they could be since I don't watch sports.

... and by athlete I meant someone who does sports like plays basketball, 10k races, mountain bikes etc. Just someone who does sports. Not specifically someone who is paid to play sports.

I'm saying that someone who is ketogenic may eat carbs while exercising and still be ketogenic. I can't see why they wouldn't be just because they timed their carbs around exercise. Ketogains has good examples of this..