Tips for curbing appetite?

Options
Does anyone have any healthy tips for curbing your appetite and to stop over-eating? It's something I always struggle with big time. I always find myself overeating out of anxiety, or boredom, or whatever the case may be and I want to learn to stop it.

Replies

• nicolewolff96
    nicolewolff96 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with your appetite. Appetite and overeating is not the same. Make sure you aren't undereating or other wise depriving yourself, then find other outlets for emotions.

I'm definitely not undereating haha I think I just need to find a more reasonable way to spend my calories so I can maybe space out a couple small snacks a day or something. I will try to find other outlets for emotions though rather than making food my go to.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It can be hard; food is always there, isn't it, and smoothes out everything. A good diet is incredibly valuable - composition as well as meal timing can make a big difference.
  • nicolewolff96
    Options
    It can be hard; food is always there, isn't it, and smoothes out everything. A good diet is incredibly valuable - composition as well as meal timing can make a big difference.

That's for sure. I have been trying to meal plan better which I have improved with but still not quite to the point I got it figured out yet.
  • nicolewolff96
    Options
    aks65 wrote: »
    my suggestion is water water water water.... every time i think about eating or start reaching for something to eat, i have promised myself that i will take at least 4 sips of water first, and wait for 5 minutes before i decide i really need to eat. most of the time i end up drinking more than that, and leave the food.

That's a very good suggestion! I know I don't drink enough water that's for sure, I just invested in a large water bottle to keep on me to encourage me to drink more but still haven't reached my goal yet. That's a good idea though I will try to remind myself to do that when I think I am hungry because it very well could just be that.
  • whoiseli
    whoiseli Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any healthy tips for curbing your appetite and to stop over-eating? It's something I always struggle with big time. I always find myself overeating out of anxiety, or boredom, or whatever the case may be and I want to learn to stop it.

Make sure you aren't lacking protein. It could lead to fatigue, lower immune system, and overall, won't allow you to reach your goals.

Anyway, for me, I drink tea. When I'm hungry, and I've eaten all 3 meals (or 5 small meals... Depends on what you do) - I have bought a "dessert" tea that is blended with strawberry flavoring and I drink it when I'm having cravings... Another tea that could help is mint tea... But honestly you've got to try it to see whether it works for you.

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    For boredom the easiest way is to get something to do. A hobby and something that keeps the hands full! For me (personal choice) knitting has been a great one. My hands are full I don't want to soil my work and I am engrossed not time to think about food and my wardrobe is increasing. Plus it is commute and utter zen for me helps against some of my overcomplicating things as well.
    But also going for a walk around town can be a great way to curb over-eating. It is very much the walk away from temptation adagio that is at work there.
    Healthy low cal snacks (fruits, veg) on hand and no high cal in the house. Water/tea may also help You have something that feels filling and is no cal.
    A hot soaking bath occasionally helps me too.
    Just some ideas. None of them works all the time, nor are they always possible but if it works 75% the time you are making progress.
  • MLBinVA
    MLBinVA Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A lot of good ideas here but for me it's come down to a couple things. First make yourself log something before you eat it, that makes you see what it is and becomes a stop to say to yourself is this actually worth it or am I just bored. Second pay attention to what you're eating, cut out the chips or cookies and if you need a snack grab a pre measured container of veggies or a yogurt with fruit. Third balance what your eating making sure you're limiting fat and balance the carbs and protein, making sure the protein is higher. For me it's also spacing out meals and snacks. I have a small but high protein breakfast, a small snack mid morning, a reasonable lunch, a small snack before I leave work, and an early dinner, then in the evening a snack depending on where I'm at calorie wise for the day, it feels like I'm constantly eating. I very regularly end up well under my calorie count and haven't been the least bit hungry since I started this. I also try to drink a bottle of water with each so I stay hydrated and it helps to keep feeling full. Trick is finding the better foods and snacks that are low in calorie, taste good, and have the macros your body needs without making yourself miserable. Good luck
  • newway2b
    newway2b Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I try to log it before I eat it... I eat same reasons as you. My over eating place seems to be at home. I have starated switching chocolate for oranges. I cut them into segments.. so much easier to eat. Now eating them xx
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Maybe carry a small protein meal so that when you know you will feel hungry you can eat it before you become too hungry.

For example i know that each day around 4 30pm i am ravenous so if i am having a good day, i eat something at 4pm eg around 250/300 calories.

When i forget to fo this at 4pm, by 5pm i am massively overesting the wrong foods.

• vartua
    vartua Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What works for me every time is working out. Even something small like doing a couple of sets of push ups. When I know that Im only wanting something to munch on because of boredom, I will just do some sort of form of light exercise and the appetite goes away. Its also a good boost for metabolism.
  • BohseSteve47
    BohseSteve47 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely make an appointment with a nutritionist
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    you've had some good suggestions here - but I particularly like:
    -as Vartua said - some push ups or squats or a plank then see if you are still hungry
    -distraction - love the knitting idea - no messy hands from preparing food
    -pre-logging to see if it is worth it
    -hot bath
    -tea and coffee - I have skim milk with my coffee and it's decaf at night

try all of the above!