General Weight Loss, Low Carb, and/or Primal Paleo Tips

Options
2»

Replies

• kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all those resources!

I tried to go Paleo 3 weeks ago and I did really well for 10 days then I went on vacation. Everything you said was 100% true! I stopped counting calories but I lost 2.5 lbs in the first week. I had WAY more energy than with carbs. It's a great way of life. I actually started at it today again! I've only had 2 egg muffins I made with tons of veggies, sausage, eggs; 2 peaches; a can of tuna and black coffee..that's it and I'm feeling good! =)
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, it's always interesting and helpful to hear about other people's experiences. And thanks for posting the low carb websites! :)
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bumpity bumpity all down the lane...
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Nice work, samb.

I've been Paleo/Primal since January. I do this along with intermittent fasting. For the most part I stayed in ketosis but have recently started carb cycling, <50g's on non-powerlifting days and around 100g's on heavy powerlifting days. All of these carbs come from either vegetables,a sweet potato or the rare piece of fruit/berries.

In doing this, I've dropped about 50 lbs (weigh in/bodyfat measurements on Saturday), 8 jean sizes and 16% bodyfat since late January. I'm at the lowest weight I've been since leaving for college football two-a-days 25 years ago.

Completely LOVE this way of eating in that I no longer have urges/cravings for sugars or sweets and believe me, I was like a shark tasting blood when I'd take the first bite of a piece of milk chocolate in the past.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi Samb,

I'll add my low carb/Primal testimony :) I suffer from PCOS (I had an ovary removed in December 2008 due to a 15 pound cyst!!!!), Insulin Resistance, and with each child I carried (5 of them) I had Gestational Diabetes. The GD diet that I was put on meant I had to eat almost 200 g of carbohydrates a day, and take insulin injections. I tried to eat low fat to compensate for the calories and try to control my weight, but with each baby I was not losing the fat afterwards. Low calorie diets just left me starving and cranky all the time. I would have some weight loss...then nothing.

I joined MFP in May to start tracking my latest attempt at a 1200 calorie diet, and I saw a thread about Paleo and a link to the documentary Fat Head on Hulu. Watching that documentary changed my life, and I then decided to try to learn all I could about low carb eating, but without eating a bunch of bars and other "non-foods". I read the Paleo Diet by Robb Wolf and The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. I started doing strict Paleo, and found that a low carb Primal-ish approach made more sense and worked better for ME. I also do Primal Essentials workouts twice a week, and walk, cycle, or sprint the other days of the week. I really started on my journey mid May of this year. Since then I have gone from 48% body fat to 33% - I have lost 50 pounds of FAT, and 35 pounds of scale weight. That means I have gained muscle, and other non-fat mass. I keep my carbs well under 50g per day, my fat around 100g per day, and about 100-140g of protein a day on average. I try to eat as clean as I can, but I am not perfect by any means and that's okay. I am never hungry even when I spontaneously fast or skip a meal. My skin is glowing, my mood is even, and I am experiencing regular non-painful TOM"s for the first time in my life. I still have about another 50 pounds of fat to lose to get to my body composition goal, but for the first time in my life, I honestly believe I will get there this time.

I actually get angry sometimes when I think about what I have been missing out on. I am losing weight like crazy without having to deprive myself of good tasting foods. I don't have to count calories either. I just count the carbs and make sure I get enough protein, and I don't care at all how much fat I eat, as long as I am not hungry. I live in a constant state of ketosis, and I burn body fat for fuel all of the time now. It feels great!! Thanks so much for sharing your story, I hope mine helps someone as well.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Awesome info!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    ...... I was like a shark tasting blood when I'd take the first bite of a piece of milk chocolate in the past.

^THIS is exactly why I want to work my way into Paleo. It finally hit me that sugar is the most addicting drug I've ever tried - And I've been addicted to it my entire life.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info, I have PCOS and find that a low carb high protein diet works best for me too. I'm struggling to get back to it since going to Cuba, the sugar is killing me. I have to be tough for about a week until I get over it and I'll be fine, It's just getting there that's the issue! Reading this and the links will help me with ideas to cut down the carbs. Thanks again :bigsmile:
  • CaveGal
    CaveGal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later and thank you for the info.

I've been trying to eat primal for the past 2 months now and I was actually surprised at how easily I've managed to stay away from bread, pasta, cookies:) etc which I used to LOVE and crave! The only thing that i need to overcome to be truly Primal is dairy (i love cottage cheese, quark and low fat greek yoghurt:( and fruit... However I've managed to stay under 90grams of carbs for the past few weeks:) and it feels great:)
    Thank you for your post as it definitely helps:)
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    ...... I was like a shark tasting blood when I'd take the first bite of a piece of milk chocolate in the past.

^THIS is exactly why I want to work my way into Paleo. It finally hit me that sugar is the most addicting drug I've ever tried - And I've been addicted to it my entire life.

And you're correct, at least in my eyes. I set my MFP "ticker" for "0" sugar and try to get as close to it as possible. The only sugars I'm taking in are from fruits. Going "cold turkey', like I did, may be difficult for many but it's eliminated ANY urges for sweet stuff.
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! Great info, thanks for sharing :)
  • TrufflePig
    Options
    Bump, thanks for sharing.