Tips for curbing appetite?

Options
2»

Replies

• tianelson92
    tianelson92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, the closer you are to almost a gallon a day, the hunger feelings will change. Sometimes we eat when our body is really just thirsty. Also try gum.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Honestly at this point I don’t even know if coconut oil is healthy anymore :D
    But when I feel like eating in the afternoon, I drink hot tea with a ts and it really helps, of course I try to eat balanced and at least 1,400-1,500 cals/ 5-6 meals ;) That’s what works better for me...
  • nicolewolff96
    nicolewolff96 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas thank you all for your advice. I definitely agree with a lot of them and have taken note of a few! Ill give them a try and see how they work out for me and hopefully make a few adjustments to my daily routine. :)
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Eat more often, but smaller meals.

That's what I had to do when I started getting serious in July. I was hungry a lot and that's when I make bad food choices. Hunger is my enemy.

I increased my meals to 6 meals per day, but they were smaller so I could still stay under my calorie deficit. Eating more often kept the hunger pains away. And there's something about the act of eating, even if it's a really small 250 calorie meal, that makes you feel not-so-restricted. It's good for moral, I guess you could say. At least it was for me.

As time went on my body adjusted the lower daily caloric intake and I was able to start having fewer meals with more calories per meal; I was able to eventually move to something that resembled a more "normal" eating habit.

I eat 4x per day now instead of 6. And on some days, particularly when the wife wants to go out for dinner, I'll only eat twice, because one meal will be an evening out with drinks and there are typically a lot of calories involved in those events. I could never have done such a thing when I was first starting out because I would have been way too hungry throughout the day before reaching the dinner-out meal.

It just seems like there's an adjustment period that has to happen with your body when you start reducing caloric intake. And the only reasonable way I found to deal with it was to eat more frequently.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    - Water
    - Figuring out what time of day you get most hungry and have some low-cal / healthy snacks on hand
    - Gum
    - Knitter over here also!
  • vickylc17
    vickylc17 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use slimfast meal bars. Amazing!
  • jonathanthewlis
    jonathanthewlis Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I found eating small and often so four meals a day has stopped me snacking, as If I feel a need I just think only got an hour to my next meal......and as above I drink a lot more water than I used to
  • SErickson2018
    SErickson2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any healthy tips for curbing your appetite and to stop over-eating? It's something I always struggle with big time. I always find myself overeating out of anxiety, or boredom, or whatever the case may be and I want to learn to stop it.
    aks65 wrote: »
    my suggestion is water water water water.... every time i think about eating or start reaching for something to eat, i have promised myself that i will take at least 4 sips of water first, and wait for 5 minutes before i decide i really need to eat. most of the time i end up drinking more than that, and leave the food.

That's a very good suggestion! I know I don't drink enough water that's for sure, I just invested in a large water bottle to keep on me to encourage me to drink more but still haven't reached my goal yet. That's a good idea though I will try to remind myself to do that when I think I am hungry because it very well could just be that.
    my suggestion is water water water water.... every time i think about eating or start reaching for something to eat, i have promised myself that i will take at least 4 sips of water first, and wait for 5 minutes before i decide i really need to eat. most of the time i end up drinking more than that, and leave the food.

That's a very good suggestion! I know I don't drink enough water that's for sure, I just invested in a large water bottle to keep on me to encourage me to drink more but still haven't reached my goal yet. That's a good idea though I will try to remind myself to do that when I think I am hungry because it very well could just be that.

• SErickson2018
    SErickson2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a job that I sit all day. I bought a massive 42oz water bottle. And I use fruit infused (lemons/strawberries) or I get crystal light.. and I drink at least half my body wait in oz in water. If I want a snack. I have dried fruit at work and/or almonds!! But water truly does the trick when you’re hungry and adding non sugary flavoring will help you drinks lots and lots and not get bored. I never touch pop anymore and I crave the water.
  • drisley77
    drisley77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eat whole foods that are not calorie dense (lots of spinach with chicken breast). Intermittent fasting. Look up "protein fluff". Drink carbonated water. Lift heavy weights.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber keeps appetite in check
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    kmw60 wrote: »
    Also good to think about the quality of your food 500 calories of white pasta vs 500 calories of whole wheat pasta will keep you full for much longer.

Not necessarily
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Also good to think about the quality of your food 500 calories of white pasta vs 500 calories of whole wheat pasta will keep you full for much longer.

Not necessarily

ya white would work more for me. Was a good point but let me fix it
    Also good to think about the quality of your food -period-.
  • pinksunnyrose
    pinksunnyrose Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller meals throughout the day and lots of water!
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    For me prelogging my food and making sure I have some tasty but healthy food to look forward to helps a great deal.

I am most hungry/snacky in the evening so I split up my supper calories. I have a lower calorie supper so I can workout earlier, which often leaves me still a bit hungry. Knowing I've got a tasty post workout "snack" (more of a mini meal) waiting for me makes the hunger way easier to deal with.

What works for everyone is different for some it's having less frequent but large meals and for others it's smaller meals more frequently or anything in between. You just have to figure out what works best for you.