Always wanted to be a runner...

Options
I was in the service for 6 years and I wasn’t good at running then, now 6 years after getting out I’m definitely in a worse spot now. I see people posting things online about how they just finished a 5k or 10k and I think to my self, “ugh 1 mile just sounds awful!”. But I’ve always wanted to be that person that got up in the morning and went for a run.

Does anyone have tips to becoming a good runner?
I feel like I was made for strength. I enjoy lifting weights at the gym and being on the elliptical but when it comes to high cardio I struggle. Also, I feel that it would jump start my weight loss and get me to my goals faster.

Any tips? Or advice?

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @StephanieErickson2015 ^^ @sarahthes nailed it.
    I think to my self, “ugh 1 mile just sounds awful!”. But I’ve always wanted to be that person that got up in the morning and went for a run.
    Are you a morning person or an evening person, plan on adding activities where they work with your natural rhythm helps you make them a habit.
    Start slow and then slow down a little bit more. Like any activity you/we start making small incremental changes allows us to slowly improve. An Olympic grade athlete didn't get up in the morning and qualify for there event.

Some links that may overload you with ideas/suggestions.

C25K - What to do before you start

C25K Tips and Tricks

Running Related index of sites
    Running Book List

There is a C25K group on MFP and a monthly Running Challenge group - Current http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10655854/april-2018-monthly-running-challenge#latest.
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I recommend the C25k to get you started. I started just a month ago with a friend. We completed the three runs of week one together, then she went on holiday so, left to my own devices, I went out for a solo run and ignored the app (just to see how far I could run). The first time I ran almost half a mile solid! Bolstered, I went out a second time and ran 0.8 of a mile. Third time I ran 1 mile, walked for 1 minute, then ran a further 0.8 of a mile. Then it happened. A full 2 miles without stopping. Your mileage may vary, obviously, but just get out there and run! Run at a slow pace, stop and walk to catch your breath whenever you need to, and keep going. It will suddenly just “happen”. My friend has returned now so I’m back to the program (going to start week 2 :smiley: )
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    C25K is brilliant for either getting started or getting back into jogging/running. I hadn't run since I was a teen (now 34) and started last year, admittedly I haven't gotten up to 5k yet as other training keeps getting in the way but I can run 3km comfortably now, last May when I started I couldn't run 30 seconds.

The best tips I can give you is start slow and get your form right before you even consider speed, speed will come later. My jogging is some folk's fast walk, but it's faster than me sitting on the sofa. Admittedly my highest weight loss percentage was when I was doing weeks 3-6 of C25K but in the long run it hasn't made too much difference because I get super hungry when doing a lot of cardio so I dropped running down to twice per week to incorporate more time for strength training.
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    C25K is brilliant for either getting started or getting back into jogging/running. I hadn't run since I was a teen (now 34) and started last year, admittedly I haven't gotten up to 5k yet as other training keeps getting in the way but I can run 3km comfortably now, last May when I started I couldn't run 30 seconds.

The best tips I can give you is start slow and get your form right before you even consider speed, speed will come later. My jogging is some folk's fast walk, but it's faster than me sitting on the sofa. Admittedly my highest weight loss percentage was when I was doing weeks 3-6 of C25K but in the long run it hasn't made too much difference because I get super hungry when doing a lot of cardio so I dropped running down to twice per week to incorporate more time for strength training.

That’s it, isn’t it!? I didn’t realise how much a slow jog for half an hour would make in terms of weight loss! I’ve been sitting at a very steady slow loss in recent weeks, but I’ve found a very agreeable drop on the scales the morning after each run!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Another alternative: just run more. Go a little slower when you feel tired/winded (walking is fine and probably should be expected early on)... go a little faster when you feel good. It doesn't have to be complicated.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run in the morning...I do most of my training runs in the afternoon and I enjoy night races the most!

Run until you can't, then walk, then run some more....you'll start building up your stamina and find yourself running for longer intervals.

Boredom is my biggest enemy....try to run somewhere that you have interesting scenery or people to watch as you run.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Running is not going to jump start your weight loss, your weight/fat loss comes down to your calorie deficit. Cardio is not required and you should enjoy your exercise.

Strength training is definitely a major plus for your weight loss, maintaining/minimizing muscle loss, and if you want to sprinkle in some elliptical etc.. Choose things you will stick to during weight loss on into maintaining.

All that said, find a running plan and progress slowly and see how you like it.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I love to run......but running isn't for everyone. I would suggest finding an activity you enjoy doing. You are more likely to stick with something if you enjoy it. If you really have your heart set on becoming a runner, I wish you the best. Running is my "me" time, and always makes me feel human again.

Do you feel you struggle mentally or physically with running?
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I’d agree to the above that cardio isn’t necessarily going to jump start your weight loss! I’ve been doing the C25K program since January and completed it (still running every Tuesday and Thursday) with mild weight loss. But when I added weights to my routine (5x5 StrongLifts) the pounds began to really drop (diet remained the same).

That said I actually ENJOY the running bit haha! And I was a piss poor runner at the start =) My cardio improvement is through the roof! I highly, highly recommend the C25K program and all the above advice!
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I’d agree to the above that cardio isn’t necessarily going to jump start your weight loss! I’ve been doing the C25K program since January and completed it (still running every Tuesday and Thursday) with mild weight loss. But when I added weights to my routine (5x5 StrongLifts) the pounds began to really drop (diet remained the same).

That said I actually ENJOY the running bit haha! And I was a piss poor runner at the start =) My cardio improvement is through the roof! I highly, highly recommend the C25K program and all the above advice!

C25K is awesome! Like OP, I always wanted to be a runner but didn't have the discipline to push myself past a mile, and C25K really makes training easier. I can't yet actually run 5K in 30 minutes yet since I run super slow, so I started C210K/Bridge to 10K to get me running for longer before working on speed.

I realized after finishing the first part of the program that, left to my own devices, I don't keep pushing myself and I really benefit from a structured program.

I listen to podcasts to prevent boredom, and refuse to let myself listen to them at home unless I workout that day, so it's a good motivation to get out and run.
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm with the post above that said dont over complicate. Just go run. If you get tired, ease up, and when you get your breath back go run some more.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Strength training really helps runners, so keep doing that and running will be easier for you (at least this was my experience). C25K, running apps, and good shoes.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have recently taken up running (3-4 weeks ago) ... I only did it because and I dont mean to brag, but someone locked by bike to theirs at work and I needed to get home quick to pick my daughter up .... my 1st run was 5k ... my second run I though I would give it a go for an hour and ran for 10k ..... decided I might be able to get good at it, so now run to work 3 times a week

but I digress.

regarding the weightloss ... since starting running I have put on 2kg of weight .... it makes me incredibly hungry and I cannot control my appetite at all for that day.

I have also started getting cramp in the evenings or in bed which I have never had in my life before
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I am not helpful at all. I've tried to be a runner many times and I hate every single second of it. I can kinda run on the treadmill if I have Netflix to watch. But running outside? Pure torture for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was in the service for 6 years and I wasn’t good at running then, now 6 years after getting out I’m definitely in a worse spot now. I see people posting things online about how they just finished a 5k or 10k and I think to my self, “ugh 1 mile just sounds awful!”. But I’ve always wanted to be that person that got up in the morning and went for a run.

I feel like I was made for strength. I enjoy lifting weights at the gym and being on the elliptical but when it comes to high cardio I struggle. Also, I feel that it would jump start my weight loss and get me to my goals faster.

Any tips? Or advice?

A C25K program to get started...

I will say this though...some people are just natural runners. I'm not one of them...even when I was in the Marines and in the best shape of my life and ran daily, I was always at the back of the pack. I was a very good sprinter growing up and was competitive in track and field from 3rd grade through high school and was briefly ranked 3rd in the state in the 100 meter when I was a senior...but I've never been a good distance runner.

My wife on the other hand is a naturally gifted distance runner. Way back when I was starting out I signed up for a 5K and trained for it...my wife decided to also run it with me...she used to run a lot, but hadn't run in quite awhile and didn't train at all for it and smoked me.

I ultimately gave up running after a foot injury training for a sprint triathlon...but during that training I discovered my bike again and I've been cycling ever since.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I am doing C25K and recommend it. Make sure you have good shoes though. I am on week 4 :) even jogging for 5 min straight seemed impossible before but whaddya know, I can do it...

I have always wanted to be a runner too. I know it’s good for your heart and lungs among other things, but I just feel “good” after doing one of my workouts. Plus I feel like if I can go for a 3 mile (or however long) run a few times a week that adds on quite a few extra calories!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »

C25K is awesome! Like OP, I always wanted to be a runner but didn't have the discipline to push myself past a mile, and C25K really makes training easier. I can't yet actually run 5K in 30 minutes yet since I run super slow, so I started C210K/Bridge to 10K to get me running for longer before working on speed.

I realized after finishing the first part of the program that, left to my own devices, I don't keep pushing myself and I really benefit from a structured program.

I listen to podcasts to prevent boredom, and refuse to let myself listen to them at home unless I workout that day, so it's a good motivation to get out and run.
    That’s a good idea to listen to podcasts. I have some that I’ve been meaning to listen to but never really have time. Although I do really enjoy listening to my music while I run too...
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Not to discourage you, but you may never enjoy running. My father is a marathon runner, I'm told I'm "built like a runner" and I know it would make my dad so happy if I could do races with him. I've tried. I've done C25K, I've gone to running clinics; I've physically become capable of running. I still hate its guts. It's the worst, there is nothing enjoyable about it for me. I love weight lifting and HIIT, I have no problem spending an hour and a half in the gym doing circuit training with 5 minute bursts of cardio, but running a 5k is such a terribly boring way to spend my morning. So I say do the workouts you enjoy, you'll be far more likely to stick to it and it can be just as effective to improve your health/fitness.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Any tips? Or advice?

Tip 1...
    Get good running shoes. Make sure they are flexible enough to let your foot do the work. People will try to analyze your running form and may tell you that you need shoes that are not neutral. I recommend getting a neutral shoe, and developing a good running form.

Tip 2...
    Develop a good running form. You will hear a lot of debate on forefoot/midfoot/heel striking. I recommend center mass striking. What I mean by that is landing with your foot under you and not ahead or behind you. You may heel strike going down a steep hill. You may forefoot strike going up a steep hill. You may midfoot strike on flat ground. But the main thing is to strike under your center of mass.

Tip 3...
    Start slow. Your heart and lungs will adapt much faster than you muscles/joints/tendons/etc... You may feel like you want to go fast because your heart/lungs feel fine, but you could injure yourself if you don't give the muscles/joints/tendons/etc time to develop. Don't worry about speed until you can run longer distances. Most marathon runners train about 80% for distance.

You can do the C25K if you prefer to follow a structured plan, or you can just run a little further each time like I did.

I was in the service for 6 years too. Army 1983-1989.

Good luck Soldier!!!