How should I structure my strengthtraining/running routine?

Options
So I'm currently trying to gain weight to regain my period and because I'm underweight. I'm a long distance runner who usually runs 5-6 times a week for 45-55 miles but I've cut back and want to incorporate strength training as well to build some muscle. I really want a balance between the two though so here is what I had in mind.

Sunday: rest
Monday: 1 hour run (7-8 miles)
Tuesday: Train upper body
Wednesday: 45 minute run
Thursday: lower body
Friday: Rest
Saturday:1 hour run
Does this seem okay enough? Like I said I want a balance of both since I've never really done strength training before, I'm a newbie but want to build some muscle while still running a bit. Any suggestions/advice on this routine? I'm open to anything so please feel free to say what you think I'm doing too much or too little.
I will be in a surplus while doing this so my calories/macros are no problem. I'm just trying to structure a practical routine. Thanks!

Replies

• 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I’d be inclined to do while body routines rather than a split if your trying to gain muscle. Maybe go lighter on the lower body on the Tuesday so not to impede your Wednesday run too much but still do some lower body.
  • liftforjoy43
    liftforjoy43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    I’d be inclined to do while body routines rather than a split if your trying to gain muscle. Maybe go lighter on the lower body on the Tuesday so not to impede your Wednesday run too much but still do some lower body.

Sorry I didn't understand what you ment by "while body routines"?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    She meant whole body, which is a much better option for a beginning lifter than splits. You should look through this list and choose one to start with: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I find it hard to train legs (lift) when my cardio volume/intensity is high... so you'll have to monitor that for yourself based on how you're feeling and performing. But ultimately, I'd try to target something like

Day 1 - lift, full body
    Day 2 - run
    Day 3 - active recovery
    Day 4 - run
    Day 5 - lift, full body
    Day 6 - active recovery
    Day 7 - "free" day based on how your feeling. Could be a low intensity run, could be stretching, could be an off/rest day, could jump right back into Day 1 and start the cycle over.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I would do 3x a week full body with 1-2 days light runs, these 1 hour runs up to 7-8 miles are going to be very taxing on your body (based on your other thread) and I full rest on your days off.

eta: see the strength training link provided above and pick one from full body/beginner section.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i would go for full body strength training routine over upper lower split. training each area just once a week wouldn't achieve much. If you are used to the mileage (and it sounds like this is a reduction) then that shouldn't be a problem. Try and incorporate some stretching routine or yoga to help with recovery and mobility. Make sure you do eat enough as with those long runs you will need your daily calories+exercise calories (probably around 600/700) and then a surplus on top. do not underestimate how much food you'll need (probably somewhere around 2600-3000)
  • AnnieLewandowski302
    AnnieLewandowski302 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I was training for my marathon, I'd do full body workouts twice a week. I'd either do TRX or weights/weight machines. For me it was critical to work on building muscle in my legs to support my hips and knees. Otherwise, I'd end up with joint pain after/during long runs. So, I focused more on lower body, while still doing some upper body (core, assisted dips, assisted pullups). Good luck!
  • only6icecubes
    only6icecubes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Easy days easy and hard days hard. Thursday should be your hard day for running (speed) because you are doing legs. Then on Friday you have an off day which will give you a full recovery for your Saturday long run.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would...

Mon: Squat/Bench/run 7-8 miles
    Tues: Rest
    Weds: Squat/OHP/run 45 min
    Thurs: Rest
    Fri: Dead/Bench/Squat run 30 min
    Sat/Sun: Rest

Mind you doing both can be complicated, but giving yourself complete rest days dissipates fatigue quite well. Most people run on off days and I feel this has a better chance of fatigue setting in and most runners I know/trained to lify handle running very well on lifting days.

You would have to see how your body responds and adjust accordingly.

I literally ran every single day for two years anywhere from 3-18 miles and lifted 3x and didn't have huge issues though I'm a athlete.
  • liftforjoy43
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I would...

Mind you doing both can be complicated, but giving yourself complete rest days dissipates fatigue quite well. Most people run on off days and I feel this has a better chance of fatigue setting in and most runners I know/trained to lify handle running very well on lifting days.

I literally ran every single day for two years anywhere from 3-18 miles and lifted 3x and didn't have huge issues though I'm a athlete.

Were you still able to build muscle running everyday and lifting as well?
  • liftforjoy43
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I would do 3x a week full body with 1-2 days light runs, these 1 hour runs up to 7-8 miles are going to be very taxing on your body (based on your other thread) and I full rest on your days off.

eta: see the strength training link provided above and pick one from full body/beginner section.

Which program from that section would you recommend that you've maybe tried out? Some of the links don't work btw so I can't really see all the programs
  • liftforjoy43
    Options
    Easy days easy and hard days hard. Thursday should be your hard day for running (speed) because you are doing legs. Then on Friday you have an off day which will give you a full recovery for your Saturday long run.

So I should lift and run on Thursday is what you're saying?
  • liftforjoy43
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    She meant whole body, which is a much better option for a beginning lifter than splits. You should look through this list and choose one to start with: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Which would you recommend? Also some of the links to the programs don't work so I can't really see what many of them consist of
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Which program from that section would you recommend that you've maybe tried out? Some of the links don't work btw so I can't really see all the programs

Do you plan body weight to start? Plan to join a gym or have any equipment at home to do a dumbbell routine, etc.?

From the list you will have to do an internet search on some of them. Also another one to look at is Fitness Blender they have total body strength workouts as well. Strong Curves is one I started with, but give them all a glance these are all well established programs so which ever one your will enjoy doing more.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I would...

Were you still able to build muscle running everyday and lifting as well?

Yes, though my goal was strength not hypertrophy as far as weight training was concerned. It's not optimal, nor easy to run every day so my strength goals were governed. Muscle synthesis was a product of my strength training.

Muscle building it quite complex while running for distance. Such factors as how male, how carnivorous, being able to eat in a surplus, proper lifting programming with adequate stress/recovery, prior strength training experience or being an athlete, and age all can play a factor.

I'm a pretty much all of the above.

Programming is going to be a huge factor in your quest.