Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think obese/overweight people should pay more for health insurance?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    No. many body builders who have really low BF% are considered obese or overweight due to the lousy BMI metric.
    The use of BMI by health insurance as metric of your overall health needs to be eliminated completely, its a complete farse that for many is terribly inaccurate.

Presumably in any system where BMI was used to help determine insurance rates, there could be a supplemental process to help the bodybuilders impacted by it get a secondary metric (say, body fat) to help determine an appropriate rate for them if they felt they were impacted negatively by the change. We're talking about a very small part of the US population that is in the overweight/obese category when it comes to BMI scores.

It seems like there are way more truly overweight and obese people decrying BMI as a legitimate trending tool due to the "bodybuilder exception" than there are bodybuilders impacted by it.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    No. many body builders who have really low BF% are considered obese or overweight due to the lousy BMI metric.
    The use of BMI by health insurance as metric of your overall health needs to be eliminated completely, its a complete farse that for many is terribly inaccurate.

Presumably in any system where BMI was used to help determine insurance rates, there could be a supplemental process to help the bodybuilders impacted by it get a secondary metric (say, body fat) to help determine an appropriate rate for them if they felt they were impacted negatively by the change. We're talking about a very small part of the US population that is in the overweight/obese category when it comes to BMI scores.

It seems like there are way more truly overweight and obese people decrying BMI as a legitimate trending tool due to the "bodybuilder exception" than there are bodybuilders impacted by it.

My BF% is sub 20% I'm considered overweight at 195lb. I would need to be almost 30lbs lighter 165lb to be in the normal range, which would mean losing a lot of muscle mass. So no its not just body builders who are affected I used that as an extreme example. And yes there is a corrected BMI scale that takes BF% into account, its far more accurate.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

My BF% is sub 20% I'm considered overweight at 195lb. I would need to be almost 30lbs lighter 165lb to be in the normal range, which would mean losing a lot of muscle mass. So no its not just body builders who are affected I used that as an extreme example. And yes there is a corrected BMI scale that takes BF% into account, its far more accurate.

My exact point: there is a supplemental metric that would be available for you.

I maintain that among those who are in the overweight/obese BMI categories in the US, it is likely that those with genuine weight issues outweigh those whose LBM is putting them into the categories. That's what any first screening tool should focus on, the preponderance of cases. You could then have supplemental tools (like body fat) to help determine if anyone is inappropriately being placed into a category.
  • mutantspicy
    Options

I maintain that among those who are in the overweight/obese BMI categories in the US, it is likely that those with genuine weight issues outweigh those whose LBM is putting them into the categories. That's what any first screening tool should focus on, the preponderance of cases. You could then have supplemental tools (like body fat) to help determine if anyone is inappropriately being placed into a category.

I agree that would be great, but the Insurance companies aren't using BF% as part of the metric yet, and so those with some muscle get graded negatively. So my insurance doesn't punish you, but instead gives you a bonus to your HSA if you hit certain metrics and uncorrected BMI is one of them, which luckily I hit 3 out of the other 4 so I do get the bonus.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I agree that would be great, but the Insurance companies aren't using BF% as part of the metric yet, and so those with some muscle get graded negatively. So my insurance doesn't punish you, but instead gives you a bonus to your HSA if you hit certain metrics and uncorrected BMI is one of them, which luckily I hit 3 out of the other 4 so I do get the bonus.

Oh, I wasn't aware that some companies were already using BMI to determine insurance rates/HSA payouts.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

The Army handled this with a supplemental tape test. I am 5'11" and I think they wanted me to weigh ~175 (It's been a generation since I served, so YMMV)

But I'd max the PT test at 195-200#. A two mile time sub 13:00, 70+ push ups and 80+ sit ups in the 2 minutes allocated for each.

When my 18.5-19" neck and 32" waist were measured, I was not overweight for my build.

So BMI tables wouldn't be a good measure. There are ways to determine more accurate Body Fat percentages than putting height and weight into a formula.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

The Army handled this with a supplemental tape test. I am 5'10" and I think they wanted me to weigh ~175 (It's been a generation since I served, so YMMV)

But I'd max the PT test at 195-200#. A two mile time sub 13:00, 70+ push ups and 80+ sit ups in the 2 minutes allocated for each.

When my 18.5-19" neck and 32" waist were measured, I was not overweight for my build.

So BMI tables wouldn't be a good measure. There are ways to determine more accurate Body Fat percentages than putting height and weight into a formula.

I am not proposing that we use the BMI tables to determine body fat percentages.
  • mutantspicy
    Options

Oh, I wasn't aware that some companies were already using BMI to determine insurance rates/HSA payouts.

Yeah the last two years its becoming common. Its not being used as a penalty like smoking but as an "incentive program" currently.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yeah the last two years its becoming common. Its not being used as a penalty like smoking but as an "incentive program" currently.

My program gives us an HSA payout for getting our metrics checked (including BMI), but it isn't based on our specific results.
  • mutantspicy
    Options

My program gives us an HSA payout for getting our metrics checked (including BMI), but it isn't based on our specific results.

For us to get the payout you need to be in normal range for 3 of 5 metrics.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    2aycocks wrote: »
    mskimee wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    IMO, until the US healthcare system isn't a FOR PROFIT venture, people will end up spending their retirement income and savings on it. See how much it costs to get hospitalized or how much medication costs for people who need it. It's pretty astounding and outrageous.
    We could pay for ALL AMERICANS healthcare, it's just that our government chooses to spend more of taxes towards the military might instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Dd was hospitalized a couple weeks ago and so far we have a $7,000 hospital bill pending. That will probably be for the ER (which in the past has run us around $1,000), and then most likely her one night stay, (since the claim is pending it doesn't have the breakdown available yet for what services it's for).

I have nothing to add, but I'm not in the US so i'm curious. What if you didn't have the ability to pay the bill for the hospital? Or if you had no insurance? Surly a hospital would still give a critically ill person the same service? I mean, no parent would ever be told "we can save your child as long as you can pay X amount..."

right??

My husband had to have urgent surgery a couple of years ago. He did not have insurance at the time. He had to see several doctors during the hospital stay and afterward. We had to fill out paperwork at the hospital and the doctors offices stating inability to pay the huge medical bill. Don't know how they handled it but we never had to pay it. I had still rather have insurance because it really rips your nerves when something like this happens and you don't know how you would possibly afford it.

Justice Democrat's candidate Amy Vilela's adult daughter died because a hospital wouldn't examine/treat her for a DVT because she didn't have insurance. They only have to treat emergency cases, not long term illnesses. Esophageal cancer causing you to choke? They'll intubate you so you can breathe, but they won't give you chemo or radiation to actually treat the cancer.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    eturney346 wrote: »
    Absolutely! I think there should be a system of “fines” for any unhealthy habits, including unhealthy eating habits, and most definitely obesity.

Or, conversely, rewards for being healthy. Pay the full amount if you're overweight/obese, get a 10% discount if you're at a healthy weight. This coming from someone who is overweight and willing to pay (literally) for my poor eating decisions in the past, which I am actively working to change.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Isn't it workplaces that do that? https://www.kff.org/private-insurance/issue-brief/workplace-wellness-programs-characteristics-and-requirements/

I don't know if such a thing exists for individual plans, have not researched it at all, so I suppose it might.

My employer doesn't have a wellness program, but BCBS's "evaluate your own health" thingy (that gets me exactly nothing, but I thought it would be interesting) judges weight as a negative if you are (a) obese by BMI or (b) overweight by BMI AND have a bad waist/hip measurement. I think that's an okay criteria so long as there were an opportunity to use other criteria as an alternative (the 3 out of 4 thing) or the challenge the result based on body fat. (Maybe covered if you are within some percentage point of the range that is healthy so as to prevent frivolous challenges.)
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Isn't it workplaces that do that? https://www.kff.org/private-insurance/issue-brief/workplace-wellness-programs-characteristics-and-requirements/

I don't know if such a thing exists for individual plans, have not researched it at all, so I suppose it might.

My employer doesn't have a wellness program, but BCBS's "evaluate your own health" thingy (that gets me exactly nothing, but I thought it would be interesting) judges weight as a negative if you are (a) obese by BMI or (b) overweight by BMI AND have a bad waist/hip measurement. I think that's an okay criteria so long as there were an opportunity to use other criteria as an alternative (the 3 out of 4 thing) or the challenge the result based on body fat. (Maybe covered if you are within some percentage point of the range that is healthy so as to prevent frivolous challenges.)

My Insurance is Aetna, I guessing my company chose this wellness program to get some sort of corporate wide discount. But yeah I do think it is individual to each company.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone should have to pay for health insurance.

Then who pays the doctors, hospitals, etc?

It's great to say something is free. Does that mean you are going to donate enough money so that others don't pay?

Because that's the crux of such issues. Someone says something should be free. Seldom is that person using their time, talent and treasure to provide it. Instead, they expect to impose their values on another.

Often, they'll be the first to decry when someone else wants to impose their values on another, but then turn around and demand that politicians impose their values on another.

Anyone who wants to make healthcare free is still free to donate their time, talent and treasure to making that happen. But please, keep out of my wallet with demands that taxpayers be party to plans and programs that pay for others.

It's government interference in the marketplace that has us where we are today. I don't think the same group of knuckleheads are going to fix this in a fashion that is good for the taxpayer and/or consumer.

Bravo! Very well said!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »

It's great to say something is free. Does that mean you are going to donate enough money so that others don't pay?

Because that's the crux of such issues. Someone says something should be free. Seldom is that person using their time, talent and treasure to provide it. Instead, they expect to impose their values on another.

Often, they'll be the first to decry when someone else wants to impose their values on another, but then turn around and demand that politicians impose their values on another.

Anyone who wants to make healthcare free is still free to donate their time, talent and treasure to making that happen. But please, keep out of my wallet with demands that taxpayers be party to plans and programs that pay for others.

It's government interference in the marketplace that has us where we are today. I don't think the same group of knuckleheads are going to fix this in a fashion that is good for the taxpayer and/or consumer.

Bravo! Very well said!

Do you truly believe that American healthcare is (or was before the ACA) better than most European healthcare systems are? Countries with socialized healthcare experience high levels of "government interference," yet have much lower cost per capita (paid by tax dollars, not out of pocket) and also have great outcomes. Government isn't the problem, corporate greed is.

Government and corporate both have a hand in high health care costs. Government won't pass regulations that allow sales of insurance over state lines that would remove administrative costs and increase competition. Government is not willing to look at possible regulation of drug prices. The lawyers that run government refuse to take a serious look at tort reform.

There is plenty of blame to share.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Bravo! Very well said!

Do you truly believe that American healthcare is (or was before the ACA) better than most European healthcare systems are? Countries with socialized healthcare experience high levels of "government interference," yet have much lower cost per capita (paid by tax dollars, not out of pocket) and also have great outcomes. Government isn't the problem, corporate greed is.

Government and corporate both have a hand in high health care costs. Government won't pass regulations that allow sales of insurance over state lines that would remove administrative costs and increase competition. Government is not willing to look at possible regulation of drug prices. The lawyers that run government refuse to take a serious look at tort reform.

There is plenty of blame to share.

You just hit the nail on the head!!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Bravo! Very well said!

Do you truly believe that American healthcare is (or was before the ACA) better than most European healthcare systems are? Countries with socialized healthcare experience high levels of "government interference," yet have much lower cost per capita (paid by tax dollars, not out of pocket) and also have great outcomes. Government isn't the problem, corporate/government greed is the same.

Amended for accuracy.

Cost is not cheaper in socialized structures. The expenses are all hidden by the bureaucracy. The cost per individual is far more expensive in socialized structures largely due to the massive administration costs.

Government collaborating with big business is the problem.