Keto diet and kids?

Options
Hi everyone! My husband and I have recently started using the keto diet after seeing his brothers success with it. The problem is he wants to take this keto diet to a super keto diet extreme and we have 3 kids that I don't think should be on this diet and definitely don't need it. So my question is am I right that the kids shouldn't be in this? I haven't done much reading up in this diet when kids are involved so I figured I'd ask here first.
Thanks for any info!! Hope you all have a great day!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Why? For what purpose?
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The thing I liked about keto when I tried it was that it was easy to make my dinner similar enough to my kids but still keto. I'd make them pasta and chicken and give myself roasted cauliflower with marinara and chicken, for example. I feed my kids a well-rounded diet, similar to these recommendations: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/Dietary-Recommendations-for-Healthy-Children_UCM_303886_Article.jsp#.Ws4XG4jwY-c
  • haalastar846
    haalastar846 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Why? For what purpose?

For what purpose of what? I'm not sure I understand the question
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Why? For what purpose?

People do keto to lose weight or have blood glucose issues.

• haalastar846
    Options
    Your kids need to be on a well rounded diet, not the latest fad for weight loss.
    Your duties as a parent should override your husband's diet zealotry.
    Good luck!

This is what I'm trying to explain to him. And I know what it's like being the kid of a dieting parent who isn't willing to be a little flexible.. it sucks. Which I also have told him. The man stubbornly thinks if he's this strict he's going to lose over 50lbs by September.
  • haalastar846
    Options
    Why? For what purpose?

People do keto to lose weight or have blood glucose issues.

Oh lose weight. He has over 50lbs he needs to lose(I can't remember the exact amount) and I have 50lbs to lose...but I'm not taking this diet to the extreme. I understand that the kids... especially toddlers... aren't going to eat everything the diet suggest nor should they be forced to use substitute things for sugar and such like he wants to use.
  • haalastar846
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    This should be fun. Combining two hotly debated topics - extreme ketogenic diets and how people choose to feed their children.

In!

PS - I think kids need to be exposed to as many foods as possible so they learn to try new things and make healthy, adventurous choices for themselves. Starting them off restricting major staples like bread, pasta, rice, fruits, dairy - these are the go to things I use with my kids to ensure they are getting enough to eat so that I can persuade them to try a new vegetable, a new type of fish, etc.

This! Are kids are 10, 2 and 1. They are for the most part very good eaters. Although the 2yr old is boycotting and green veggies right now lol
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    OP, I would suggest your brother speak to the children's pediatrician before imposing ANY type of diet change in their lifestyle. Keto is a very limited diet for weight loss, that is only sometimes prescribed for people with diabetes or other health issues. Growing children need carbs and a balance of protein and fats.
  • haalastar846
    Options
    Mikkimeow wrote: »
    OP, I would suggest your brother speak to the children's pediatrician before imposing ANY type of diet change in their lifestyle. Keto is a very limited diet for weight loss, that is only sometimes prescribed for people with diabetes or other health issues. Growing children need carbs and a balance of protein and fats.

I agree but it's my husband doing the imposing after both his brothers had success with the diet. Neither of his brothers kids are young or I've at home so neither had any info about the family aspect of it.
    That being said doing I do keto but I'm not super strict with it. There are things I enjoy...like pasta and potatoes...that I'm willing to cut back on but not cut out completely like my husband wants to. He wants to get substitutes for everything for every meal...which is where I'm having the problem.
  • haalastar846
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Just because someone eats keto doesn't automatically mean they will lose weight or be healthy.
    Keto can be good for people with certain medical conditions. Keto isn't the magical super way of eating that people make it out to be.
    If you brother in law lost weight it was because he created a calorie deficit, not just because he ate keto.
    I'd suggest talking to your kids doctors and tell them that your husband wants them to eat a keto diet.
    I would not suggest it personally. I wouldn't want to expose my kids to the newest fad of the week. Instead I'd try to teach them about moderation and portion control. I'd teach them about how treats are okay but in moderation and I'd show them what a healthy well balanced diet is.
    I wouldn't want them to believe the misinformation that runs rampantly around here.
    It sounds like your husband might not truly understand the facts.

I agree with all of this and I do intend to talk to their Dr at their next appointment in a few weeks (can't get in sooner or I would).
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I did Paleo (lower carbs, but not Keto) with my kids. My littlest ended up putting on some weight when she was an otherwise hard-gainer. I don't think I'd go to the extreme of keeping my kids on Keto, as it's not easy to do, and as they get older it's impossible to control when they are not with you. If my kids had a medical condition that was benefited by a Keto lifestyle, I'd consider it. But otherwise, I don't think it's worth the effort or expense.
  • haalastar846
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your insight. It has been most helpful!
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Honestly, I think you are opening a can of worms. When you start giving kids ideas about food by demonizing certain macros, this may backfire. I speak from experience. I have two children but the younger one would take everything I said literally. Just a thought.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Just because someone eats keto doesn't automatically mean they will lose weight or be healthy.
    Keto can be good for people with certain medical conditions. Keto isn't the magical super way of eating that people make it out to be.
    If you brother in law lost weight it was because he created a calorie deficit, not just because he ate keto.
    I'd suggest talking to your kids doctors and tell them that your husband wants them to eat a keto diet.
    I would not suggest it personally. I wouldn't want to expose my kids to the newest fad of the week. Instead I'd try to teach them about moderation and portion control. I'd teach them about how treats are okay but in moderation and I'd show them what a healthy well balanced diet is.
    I wouldn't want them to believe the misinformation that runs rampantly around here.

I agree with all of this and I do intend to talk to their Dr at their next appointment in a few weeks (can't get in sooner or I would).

Good. You are doing the right thing here.
    Maybe in the time being start printing out some of your own research so you can discuss it with him. You could prove to him that Fung and the like are quacks and are a joke amongst the fitness and healthy lifestyle communities. Maybe once he sees the hype for himself, maybe he'll understand your point of view.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I know keto is being researched for therapeutic benefits in children with autism, but as a general rule, I wouldn't want to unnecessarily restrict a child's diet.

You may want to wait & see how successful your husband's family is with *maintenance* before jumping on the keto bandwagon ;)
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you are opening a can of worms. When you start giving kids ideas about food by demonizing certain macros, this may backfire. I speak from experience. I have two children but the younger one would take everything I said literally. Just a thought.

Agreed.

One time when my son was little he heard his father say something like" I don't need to eat that chicken, I'll just have a shake later!"
    Well guess what! The very next day my son refused to eat his chicken and said he'd have a shake for lunch instead.
    Kids learn from the examples their parents set. If the parents have an unhealthy relationship with food, the kids see that.
  • haalastar846
    Options

Good. You are doing the right thing here.
    Maybe in the time being start printing out some of your own research so you can discuss it with him. You could prove to him that Fung and the like are quacks and are a joke amongst the fitness and healthy lifestyle communities. Maybe once he sees the hype for himself, maybe he'll understand your point of view.

It's possible but he's a very stubborn man and once he gets it in his head he wants to do something there is little to change his mind