Fasting

Options

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    guess that answers my question, thank you all for you input...lol
    also, i have to take gummy(and they arent bears, just circles...lol) or liquid vitamins due to malabsorbtion.
    i had gastric bypass...no haters, please. i had to, due to medical problems. i dont need to be judged for it on here. i get it enough in real life!!!

If you already have issues absorbing all your nutrients, why are you fasting?

i am desperate...basically, that is it. and i will do anything that doesnt put me in the hospital, now or in the future.

What problem are you hoping the fasting will solve?

weightloss... my body is very resistant

What are you eating? Are you weighing and measuring everything?

What does your surgeon say?
  • Nadspee
    Nadspee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    How long ago was your surgery? I would hope that your doctor/surgeon would have given you pretty specific info about how to eat after. Trust the doctor and follow what they’re telling you. Maybe you’ve just reached a plateau and it’ll correct itself? Hang in there, weight loss takes a lot of time and is a mental battle as well as physical ❤️
  • NextRightThing714
    NextRightThing714 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat is important. This plan sounds like a bad idea. Talk to your doctor, not randos on the internet. I guess that also includes me :)
  • DeniseMayree
    DeniseMayree Posts: 133 Member
    Options

also, i have to take gummy(and they arent bears, just circles...lol) or liquid vitamins due to malabsorbtion.
    i had gastric bypass...no haters, please. i had to, due to medical problems. i dont need to be judged for it on here. i get it enough in real life!!!

i am desperate...basically, that is it. and i will do anything that doesnt put me in the hospital, now or in the future.

What are you eating? Are you weighing and measuring everything?

What does your surgeon say?

when i eat i follow the bariactric plan that was given to me years ago, that is probably why my pouch is so small.
    although i am on medication that often messes with my satiety...sometimes in my favor, like right now(no appetite)
    i have no contact with my surgeon.
  • DeniseMayree
    Options
    ok, so its not a "fast"...
    is it healthy to get all your nutrients through powders and vitamins(whatever form), NO FOOD?

If you're talking about just protein powder and multivitamins, my gut instinct is no because there are a lot of things that a multivitamin won't cover (like necessary fats). But if you really wanted to do this then you could look into something like Soylent, which is a liquid diet designed to include everything you need.

There's a lot going on here, between your different posts, and I think I'm going to fall back on checking with your doc before you start to be sure everything is cool.

thanks hon
  • DeniseMayree
    Options
    Nadspee wrote: »
    How long ago was your surgery? I would hope that your doctor/surgeon would have given you pretty specific info about how to eat after. Trust the doctor and follow what they’re telling you. Maybe you’ve just reached a plateau and it’ll correct itself? Hang in there, weight loss takes a lot of time and is a mental battle as well as physical ❤️

thanks hon, it has been 7 years. i lost 245 pounds and gained back 82 pounds and have just recently lost 8 pounds
  • DeniseMayree
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Have you tried logging here using a food scale for all solids? How many calories are you eating and how much have you been losing per week?

I'm really not qualified to determine how long a fast can be "healthy", but I personally find if I undereat one day I end up overeating the next. And I had a friend who would fast for religious purposes and then would end up hoovering every morsel of food she could find when she broke her fast. So I think for a lot of people, anything more than IF is probably not great for weight loss.

Sorry you're struggling :flowerforyou:

thanks hon. im just starting on here, and am checking everything out. i used this site for my pre op weight loss and successfully lost 40 in 6 months. i hope to find success again.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    KelBgess wrote: »
    Not eating is a terrible idea for losing weight. When you starve your body, your metabolism shuts down and your body fights to keep every calorie and ounce of fat. If one truly wants to get healthy, they need to find the right balance of diet and exercise.

if your metabolism shuts down you die end of story.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »
    Fasting is NOT the way to go. Having fought this weight loss all my life, and spoken with various doctors, NOT 1 EVER SAID - “hey, why don’t you fast?” Or “Hey, let’s do a cleanse!” Why? Because they don’t work. It is ALL ABOUT calories in vs. calories out.

Oh - you caught that I didn’t mention exercise. Why? Because other than helping build up your endurance and helping to build muscle, it isn’t going to really help you lose weight. Yes, it makes you more healthy, but it doesn’t really help in weight loss. Why? Because you won’t ever be able to burn enough calories to allow you to have that evil chocolate cake you might want - or the milkshake, or the cheesecake, or the oreo’s - whatever.

Besides, if you eat healthy - I’m not saying only rabbit food - I’m talking about lean proteins, something akin to a higher protein, lower carb lower fat plan - then you’ll be able to lose weight as long as you eat less than you burn. Get a fitness tracker that syncs with MFP, and always stay under your burned caloric amount, and you’ll lose weight. I lost 90 pounds that way.

you can fast but non eating fasts I dont recommend unless its a religious practice and then that is usually only a short time,or supervised medically. I fast 16:8 most days it hasnt hurt me. as for building muscle with exercise,that wont happen often on a deficit especially a big one. and you can burn enough calories to have a slice of chocolate cake(if you are a runner,cyclist or someone who burns a lot of calories),or whatever else you want. Heck you can fit it into your calories if you want pre exercise.

as for higher protein , low fat and low carb,that may work for you but is not necessary for everyone. everyones macros will be different,higher fat may satiate some while high protein or even high carb will satiate another person. so saying that but then saying eat less than you burn is IMO conflicting info in a way. fitness trackers are also not 100% accurate in most cases they are just an estimate. I find ways to fit foods I like that some may deem unhealthy into my calories. do I go over sometimes? sure I do. building muscle is hard in a deficit,but the more muscle you have the more calories you burn,while its not a lot it helps.

you cant say that a person cant burn enough calories to have a milkshake,chocolate cake or anything else because many runners,cyclist,swimmers, do burn a lot of calories.