Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• IzzyFlower2018
    IzzyFlower2018 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    CICO is confusing. Calories in Calories out- Except for if you eat too little and go into starvation mode you won’t lose weight or you may even gain weight. It confuses me and I’m sure it confuses others too.

"Starvation mode" is fiction. It doesn't exist. I don't know how this myth even persists. Especially if you've actually read this entire thread before posting.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Unfortunately, a shorthand explanation that's useful when given firsthand breaks down very quickly when passed via "the telephone game"

As a convenient shorthand when included with an explanation-to someone who isn't logging and "is eating very little and very healthy-except for an occasional cheat" it can be useful. When taken in isolation it's utter *kitten* and counterproductive.

Long version-1. You're not logging and you're not eating very little.
    2. You don't appear to have an ED, but you are participating in privation/feast aka binge/purge cycling.
    3. This is resulting in a NET weekly/monthly maintenance or gain level of calories
    4. However due to the nature of your cycling, you're gaining fat and **losing LBM** This is the starvation part
    5. Due to not being in a net deficit, you're not losing weight
    6. So, Reduce your daily deficit, stop binging and start logging and you'll start losing weight.

Person hears blah blah starvation blah eat more blah blah

Person stops eating at ridiculous deficit, possibly starts haphazard logging and begins losing weight because of the elimination of the binge/feast component.

Hey it worked... and now there's another advocate for starvation mode and eat more/lose weight

I have to say that was thoroughly vetted, well done.

Thank you to AnvilHead too for the info and links.

Learning is fun.