Struggling to accept myself

Options
2»

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You look great! As they say: don’t fix something that ain’t broke;)
  • bduanemyfitness
    bduanemyfitness Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The title says it all. I imagine we all struggle (some more than others) to accept ourselves. You probably look in the mirror and still see "Gordita". But you look just great and should be proud of your accomplishments.

You are not the tall stick figures you see on campus. But I bet many of them struggle to be skinny and some even look in their mirror and see a little chubby girl as well. I'm sort of lucky...I look in the mirror and I see some old man has stolen my mirror...

As others have suggested, look inward. You are pretty darn amazing (most of us really are).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you love what you are doing keep doing it.

Getting your head in the right place is another big job.

Here are some worksheets to help you feel better about your body.

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=55

Until you feel it please believe us that you are beautiful.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Has anyone suggested strength training? You look great in that picture but if you're happy with your weight but still think things could be better, then strength training is the answer!!!
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You have a gorgeous figure, you have your health, you have your youth. You have lost 30 lbs as a result of your own very hard work. There's a lot there to be happy about and proud of. What you need to work on - your self esteem and moving on from your past. Like others, I highly recommend counseling/therapy. Best of luck to you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Something I teach all my clients. Whether you believe it or not, NO ONE GIVES A DAMN about how others look. Kids today are so focused on HOW THEY LOOK, that then don't see flaws in others. And the reality is, looks only go so far in life. Personality and character speak so much more about a person than just their physical appearance. Sound cliche, but it's true.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well put :smile:
  • Amerek412
    Amerek412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Girl. I'm 27, 5'2 and 122lb and I -wish- my body held fat as aesthetically pleasing as yours. I give my body a break since I've had a kid so my tummy could never look as flat as yours. But I would actually consider you more on the side of "thin" within the normal range.

I think you could really benefit from putting effort into gaining some muscle if you want a more "lean" look. As a fellow shorty I get the jealousy over tall girls who, it just seems they don't even need to be that thin to LOOK thin, with their stupid long arms and legs and torsos lol. But I can't imagine anyone looking at the body pictured and thinking it was anywhere near chubby. Do yourself a huge favor and don't compare yourself to an impossible (for you) standard.

And if you are worried about guys, my boyfriend who is 6'5 (we're an odd couple lol) prefers the short, compact, voluptuous look over the model-like long and thin look in women. I don't think you will have any trouble attracting male attention (not that you should be overly focused on male attention, but you're 20 and in college so it's to be expected lol)
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Chubby? Certainly not at that weight and height as you look now! Chubby?! You've got to be *kitten me? No way in any universe.

Be happy and love yourself, there is nothing wrong with you or how you look.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    It might take a while for your eyes to realize you lost 30#. Did you take Before pictures or measurements?

Doing something physical regularly might make you more comfortable in your body.

I hated my big feet when I was in high school, but started appreciating them after doing balancing poses in yoga. (I may just naturally have great balance, but I like being grateful to my feet for this.)

Since you're in college and presumably have access to therapy, maybe take advantage of that?