Funny things actually-fit people say

Options

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I started lifting with a friend who was a PT/recreational bodybuilder. Looked great and was quite strong. I learned a lot and would definitely not be where I am today without him.. However he said some "bro science" which I think back and laugh about.
    -If you do cardio (running) you'll lose gains. Only walk if you must cardio.
    -You shouldn't train legs twice a week. If you are able to train them again you obviously didn't go hard enough the first time!!
    -You absolutely CANNOT train for strength AND hypertrophy at the same time!! If you want to powerlift you have to powerlift only.

There is probably more that I forgot, but those were some of the best.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @CJ_Holmes I think it can be used either way when using the button. "Woo" as a concept (not the button) is the #fakenews of the weight loss and fitness world. I mean, what's NOT confusing about that? :D
  • Amerek412
    Amerek412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I'm confused about why this is funny... The body becomes incredibly efficient at doing the same thing every day, so if she were to continue the same workout routine every day and every week, her body would eventually become "used" to it and would not continue to show results.

I re-read the post and it seems like you read it as she had to switch the DAYS around to confuse the body, but I read it as she has to switch the ROUTINE around to "confuse the body", which is essentially true.

So yes, I suppose it's dumb if she thinks the day she does it on makes a difference, but if she's literally talking about switching up routine, she is correct.

She definitely meant the day of the week specifically haha. She specified in her OP that she usually did leg day on Saturdays, but was doing it today (this was yesterday, Thursday) in order to confuse her body. Then I specifically asked if she really thought her body knew which day of the week she worked a particular body part, and she said, in so many words, "yes" lol

I agree it can be beneficial for various reasons to switch up the exercises that make up your routine from time to time, but I'm pretty positive that's not all that she meant
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    @CJ_Holmes I think it can be used either way when using the button. "Woo" as a concept (not the button) is the #fakenews of the weight loss and fitness world. I mean, what's NOT confusing about that? :D

To be even more confusing, it used to mean both, but they updated the meaning to just Woo - broscience. But unless you're keeping up with the MFP suggestions and announcements (and how many of us do, really?) you'll most likely see it explained with the original meaning if you do a search. So completely ambiguous as you say, unless you get 17 woos within 2 minutes of posting a comment, in which case I would safely assume it's not positive. :(
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,765 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer who could not figure out why I had not gained any muscle or increased my metabolism over an 8-week period of heavy lifting and eating in a deficit (she knew I was on Weight Watchers at the time). I had lost 8 pounds, and supposedly 7 of them were fat. CAVEAT - this was according to the hand-held BIA, and we know how accurate those are anyway. I think the gym cheaped out rather than having hydrostatic weighing or at least calipers available.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    "you really shouldn't eat dinner if you're trying to lose weight" - which is silly, I've lost large amounts of weight with dinner as my main meal of the day...
    also, from one of my classmates at uni: "you're eating a banana for your snack? no wonder you're not losing fast if you eat sugar and carbs" (I'd often be too busy to grab proper lunch while at uni, so I'd bring a banana or some nuts, it was convenient)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    It is not necessarily a requirement to understand something in order to accomplish it. Being fit requires discipline more than it requires an understanding of physiology.

Agreed. Some people manage to be quite fit, despite their lack of knowledge. That said, imagine if they had the knowledge how much further ahead they could be!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another thread yesterday. The manager of the Anytime Fitness I use had a female
    in a side room, playing a VR video game, to get her heart rate up into the "fat burning zone."

ruy18ir9kzar.gif

I wish it worked like that! I’d be at goal just from reading my work emails lol