Funny things actually-fit people say

Options
13»

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who changes diet religions about once a month. She reads the diet books like some people read mysteries and she gets sucked into every one. She is in reasonably good shape by US standards and she thinks she owes that to what she has been doing for the last 2 or 3 weeks; It's like she doesn't remember she was extolling the virtues of completely different diet philosophy just weeks earlier. And this has been going on for a few years.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    A friend of a friend is a successful personal trainer and has a ridiculously fit body. She is a proponent of reverse dieting. Unfortunately though, the way she promotes this is mostly telling overweight middle aged women that they should/could eat 2000-2500 calories per day. Period.

So they all feel freer to eat more calories, even though they are not professionals and have no clue how to actually do the process like she does it, and their exercise is Zumba or a little treadmill time. Of course they gain even more weight, and then sign up for her extremely expensive fitness training. Then they flip out when she suggests eating plans that are quite complex and strict.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another thread yesterday. The manager of the Anytime Fitness I use had a female
    in a side room, playing a VR video game, to get her heart rate up into the "fat burning zone."

ruy18ir9kzar.gif

Maybe an effective PT technique would be to sneak up behind your clients while they are working out and blast an air horn by their heads, that would spike their HR and burn a ton of extra calories! :#

And possibly cause them to drop a load in their underpants too! :p:p
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »
    I didn't know what "Woo" was until reading this thread. I thought that button was "Whoo Hoo!" or something similar. I apologize to anyone I have insulted in the past... :D

I think a lot of people must think this. I noticed there is a post in the success picture thread of a lady whos lost 300lbs and it gets woo'd! Ain't nothin woo about it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    A friend of a friend is a successful personal trainer and has a ridiculously fit body. She is a proponent of reverse dieting. Unfortunately though, the way she promotes this is mostly telling overweight middle aged women that they should/could eat 2000-2500 calories per day. Period.

So they all feel freer to eat more calories, even though they are not professionals and have no clue how to actually do the process like she does it, and their exercise is Zumba or a little treadmill time. Of course they gain even more weight, and then sign up for her extremely expensive fitness training. Then they flip out when she suggests eating plans that are quite complex and strict.

I eat that amount and I'm in my sixties.

It's not outside the norm. The problem is most of those ladies likely don't actually keep track of their calories. The difference is that I log all food and use a food scale for 90% of my home-prepared meals.

Meh, maybe my post IS "woo". But I think these are women around 40-50 who are only somewhat overweight and not very active, and they're generally eating WAY under 2000 and this trainer gal (who is in her late 20s and spends her life literally working out) kind of misleads them into thinking they're just not eating enough. And they gain weight.

Don't worry about getting "woo"d. This originally had two meanings when rolled out and many people still think it means "Woo hoo!"
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilders & trainers claiming that dumbbell lat pullovers will "expand the ribcage/make your chest/ribcage bigger"...I am not aware of any exercises that can alter someone's skeletal frame; this exercise does however work the serratus anterior.

Another stupid bro/bodybuilder one: "fish thins the skin...". Marc Lobliner did a hilarious video on this on youtube; yes changing a diet of steak/beef to low-no fat fish will definitely contribute to lowering kcals for a deficit (fatloss), but fish does not inherently have some magical physical properties that thin a person's skin (lol).
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I had another one of those conversations today that started with a neighbor asking if I had lost weight (a little over 60 pounds, in maintenance over a month; I see this person 2 or 3 times a week) and asking how I did it, then critiquing what is wrong with eating whatever I want instead of cutting out certain foods that are diet killers (yes, bananas was on the list). I guess I have to put the weight back on and try again... :smiley:

Sounds like someone I know who claimed portion control, WW, and calorie counting didn't work for her, got gastric bypass, still lost slowly, then told me she was just fed up with the process. And is now selling the protein shakes she claims helped her lose weight and everyone must use to get in shape.