2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Congrats on your success so far.

I'm sorry your first week was so hard. You were probably experiencing an electrolyte imbalance. When you drop carbs your insulin drops and insulin is responsible for retaining water and electrolytes. You lost a lot of sodium with that initial water weight, and that can cause headaches, fatigue, moodiness, bm issues, muscle aches and spasms.

If your symptoms come back, make sure you are getting 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. There is 2300 mg of sodium in a tsp of salt, for reference.

I do wonder why you are planning to increase carbs while still losing. If keto is working for good losses, I wouldn't change things much. As long as you are eating quality meats, eggs and dairy, you will not be low in any micronutrients. Eating veggies, nuts, olives and some fruits, like avocados and olives, will ensure you are fine.

When, or if, you do add back carbs, go slow. Many will find that adding back the carbs that led to overeating will once again lead to overeating if those foods are not as satiating or led to cravings. LCHF does not need to be temporary if you find it works well and agrees with you.

Consider joining the Low Carber Daily and Keto MFP groups for more support. Good luck.

Thanks for that post just what I needed, I didn't question the feelings I had in the first week as I was expecting them, always helpful to know the reason. The tip is spot on with sodium btw thanks!

I am on on about 50-60g of carbs a day, apparently you are aloud up to 75g to keep yourself in ketosis but other places suggest you must stay under 50g and about 20g for the first week increasing by 10g each week until you find your balance, either way Its still working for me, If I can find "real foods" that keeps me in this state then I will be super happy and that's where research comes in such as the groups you suggested so thank you again. I'm not planning on increasing my carbs but if they increase when I go back to eating I'll try limit it as much as possible.

The carb level needed to stay below for constant ketosis varies between people. The most active people, who time their carbs around exercise can go well over 100g, maybe even over 200g for an intense and long exercise session. An inactive, older, small person with insulin resistance may need to stay around 20 of carbs. Ketosis is usually a sure thing under 50g.

That being said, ketosis is not needed for weight loss but tends to offer some health benefits like mental clarity and better blood glucose management. Otherwise, if you are someone who is not more satiated by low carb, there is no need to go ketogenic. I really like carbs below 30g, but other low carbers prefer 50, 90, or 130 grams.

Just do what you find works for you and is sustainable. :)

ETA I assumed you meant "eating more" rather than "go back to eating". ;)
  • Weight_Loss_Dad
    Weight_Loss_Dad Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree it varies between people, and i think your right it's what works for you as everyone is different shapes and sizes, the health benefits are great and for me easier to sustain than a low calorie diet, but for others it may be different.

If you have a list of your favourite low carb foods please fire away haha! Thanks though!
  • Weight_Loss_Dad
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    bekeeper69 wrote: »
    Go check out Dr. Berg on UTUBE, He has some Insight on Ketosis and Intermittent Fasting. Weight loss Dad

Thanks for the recommendation will have a look!

Be very cautious about "Dr" Berg.
    Worth reading up on some of his diagnostic and treatment ideas contained in a disciplinary hearing.....

https://www.casewatch.org/board/chiro/berg.shtml

He seems very sure of what hes saying, and promises results, so cautious is definitely the word to use.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    bekeeper69 wrote: »
    Go check out Dr. Berg on UTUBE, He has some Insight on Ketosis and Intermittent Fasting. Weight loss Dad

Thanks for the recommendation will have a look!

Be very cautious about "Dr" Berg.
    Worth reading up on some of his diagnostic and treatment ideas contained in a disciplinary hearing.....

https://www.casewatch.org/board/chiro/berg.shtml

He seems very sure of what hes saying, and promises results, so cautious is definitely the word to use.

So does Dr.Oz....just because they have Dr. in their name, does not mean they are immune of being snake oil salesmen. Many have conflict of interest.
  • Weight_Loss_Dad
    Options
    With a deeper search they probably own an online health shop selling supplements etc... lost a lot of respect for doctors when I went to mine to help me lose weight when I was 22 stone, instead of giving me nutrition advice, activities to do etc... he told me to just be more active like when the controller is across the room get it yourself instead of asking your partner to do it. It took a lot to go to the doctors for my weight then to be told that.
  • Weight_Loss_Dad
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I agree it varies between people, and i think your right it's what works for you as everyone is different shapes and sizes, the health benefits are great and for me easier to sustain than a low calorie diet, but for others it may be different.

If you have a list of your favourite low carb foods please fire away haha! Thanks though!

Just want to make sure you understand that the reason you are losing weight eating keto is because you are eating fewer calories than you expend - this is really important. Right now the types of food you are eating seem to suit you in the sense that you feel satiated with fewer calories than you might with a higher carb diet. If at some point you begin to eat more calories than you expend you will gain weight regardless of how well you are adhering to keto (or any other diet).

Thanks for caring it means a lot, It's an amazing community my fitness pal, and I can't wait to see what the future holds. I do understand why i am losing weight, my literate skills are definitely not a representation of my intelligence, I got a D in English at high school which is very poor and that reflects slightly on the way I come across online.

I'm not eating foods at the moment I am drinking meal replacement shakes, calories are between 600-700 whilst carbs remain in the 50g-60g range, which Is why I'm losing weight, which is about 2000 calories less than the recommended for my size, and each pound of weight is equal to 3500 calories. So I'm losing weight through both low calories and ketosis. Now my body has limited to no carbs to turn into glucose as energy it has no choice but to break down my body fat to turn into glucose to energy. Which was why I went through the keto flu to begin with. The best thing about the shakes is that they are getting all the vitamins and minerals you need in a day, so my body is now running better than it ever was and losing weight, which is why I am still happy to carry on. The body processes it's stored fat for energy better than processing carbs for energy as well, so mental clarity is also good.

That isn't mental clarity. That is the euphoria your body thinks will help you go forage for food. You are consuming less than a bariatric patient.

Haha I am technically classed as bariatric, either way it's a better mentality I have that i did before dieting.
This discussion has been closed.