What counts as clean eating?

Options
What are some of the dos and don'ts of clean eating?
Is it similar to veganism?

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I think of it as eating mostly healthy and unprocessed foods.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    I kept a list once upon a time. There are 41 different definitions of "clean eating" on it: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1

By some of these definitions Fritos are a clean food. By some of them eggs, milk, and pistachios are not.

I washed the poop off the egg my friend gave me for my breakfast. That’s clean isn’t it? Lol

I washed my chocolate after I dropped it on the floor... That's clean too, right?

OP, just eat. Most of the time eat nutritious food that contributes towards you being physically healthy - you are old enough to know what that means Im sure, you don't need "rules". If you want to eat something else you love, that may not be so nutritious, don't demonise it - enjoy the experience, and savour the taste!

All of this, including the chocolate washing.
  • Jayfeather15
    Jayfeather15 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    There are dozens of definitions of clean eating: no processed foods, no added sugar, paleo, keto, vegan...you name it. Your best bet is to drop the idea of defining clean eating and focus on primarily eating nutrient-dense foods.

Thanks for giving me a sensible answer. I don't why some people on here are so freaking snarky and sarcastic. Here you are using some app to help you lose weight and then got the nerve to be acting stupid to others when they're seeking help...

Wow.

I am sorry, but that's just how I feel. I don't mean anything bad but maybe a better word would be....exasperation, that I sense? Like that's how some people seem to come off here. Which is why I left and I am just now returning to this app. Maybe I'm just reading the room wrong, like is this the normal atmosphere here? I just want an answer to my question and there are others like me who just want to make sure they're doing everything right and may genuinely not know.

A lot of us gave you sensible answers and a few people repeated an old joke that reappears in every clean eating thread to try and make you laugh. That you saw one good answer and everyone else here, including myself, as acting "stupid" irks me.

Well I apologize for that, poor choice of words. I didn't realize they were joking. I thought they were just being snarky. Sorry.
  • Jayfeather15
    Jayfeather15 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    There are dozens of definitions of clean eating: no processed foods, no added sugar, paleo, keto, vegan...you name it. Your best bet is to drop the idea of defining clean eating and focus on primarily eating nutrient-dense foods.

Thanks for giving me a sensible answer. I don't why some people on here are so freaking snarky and sarcastic. Here you are using some app to help you lose weight and then got the nerve to be acting stupid to others when they're seeking help...

Wow.

I am sorry, but that's just how I feel. I don't mean anything bad but maybe a better word would be....exasperation, that I sense? Like that's how some people seem to come off here. Which is why I left and I am just now returning to this app. Maybe I'm just reading the room wrong, like is this the normal atmosphere here? I just want an answer to my question and there are others like me who just want to make sure they're doing everything right and may genuinely not know.

A lot of us gave you sensible answers and a few people repeated an old joke that reappears in every clean eating thread to try and make you laugh. That you saw one good answer and everyone else here, including myself, as acting "stupid" irks me.

Well I apologize for that, poor choice of words. I didn't realize they were joking. I thought they were just being snarky. Sorry.

The number of silly answers (yes, they're funny) hopefully indicates to you how silly the concept is.

Well that is what the community is for. Sometimes people just don't know and want an answer.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For me, I always considered Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet as a guide to clean eating. Her plan is whole foods and fairly leAn meats, but she does include a few processed foods like Ezekiel bread.

To me, clean foods are minimally processed. Close to a whole food diet.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Ask a vegan what "clean eating" is.
    Ask an ovo-lacto-vegetarian what "clean eating" is.
    Ask a pescatarian what "clean eating" is.
    Ask a paleo dieter what "clean eating" is.
    Ask a keto dieter what "clean eating" is.
    Ask a low-fat dieter what "clean eating" is.
    Ask a carnivorous dieter what "clean eating" is.
    Ask an IIFYM/flexible dieter what "clean eating" is.

There won't be a lot of overlap between them.