My brain is in pain today. How much should I exercise to keep a deficit?

Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited April 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Just need help for today. I can't calculate right now. I have 1800ish calories prelogged with dinner included. I'm 5'4" and 165lbs. How much should I exercise/burn off to maintain a deficit of preferably 500 calories? I think without walking at all I'd burn like 1700 calories (TDEE if sedentary?). I know it's simple math, but I have been doing chemistry homework for 3-4 hours and I've done 30hrs of it this week, most of which was math and I really want to cry thinking numbers right now on very little sleep. :( Plus my 3 kids are running circles around me, my 3 year old just spilled an entire bowl of spaghetti os on the floor and I had to use our last roll of toilet paper to get it up because we have no paper towels and I have a ton of laundry. I don't want to get the #s wrong because I've had a rough couple days as is and want to be on track.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Mfp will tell you how much to eat. Just log and stay within your calorie goal.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited April 2018
    Girl, if someone who complains for no reason should be serenaded with a tiny little violin, you deserve a bass or at least a cello! Can you call a friend to bring you some paper products? They have a thing here where you can put in your grocery order online and they will bag it and everything ready to be picked up, definitely worth it to me. Sorry you're feeling overwhelmed and I hope you get a break soon!

When you entered your stats into MFP and set your rate of loss, it should have given you a calorie allotment for the day. A 500 calorie deficit is what you get when you set your rate of loss to one pound a week.

If you have already gone over and just want to know how much exercise equals 500 calories, it depends on the exercise but for most people between a half hour and an hour of moderate to intense cardio will do it. Given that you already have so many things needing your time, it's probably easier to eat a little less than to exercise more.
  • Verity1111
    edited April 2018
    Mfp will tell you how much to eat. Just log and stay within your calorie goal.

I can't. I'm over that's why I was asking how much to exercise off calorie wise... and I also chose my own goal which is 1300 so it doesn't really help me lol. I'm sure I'll work it out though.
  • Verity1111
    edited April 2018
    Girl, if someone who complains for no reason should be serenaded with a tiny little violin, you deserve a bass or at least a cello! Can you call a friend to bring you some paper products? They have a thing here where you can put in your grocery order online and they will bag it and everything ready to be picked up, definitely worth it to me. Sorry you're feeling overwhelmed and I hope you get a break soon!

When you entered your stats into MFP and set your rate of loss, it should have given you a calorie allotment for the day. A 500 calorie deficit is what you get when you set your rate of loss to one pound a week.

If you have already gone over and just want to know how much exercise equals 500 calories, it depends on the exercise but for most people between a half hour and an hour of moderate to intense cardio will do it. Given that you already have so many things needing your time, it's probably easier to eat a little less than to exercise more.

LOL. I'm not sure I got that first part. I am not complaining though I just really feel exhausted... I just did another hour and a half of chem work. I need to study for a chem exam on Tuesday and I still need to make dinner and do the exercising. :/ lol. I had my calories worked out but I had some cookies and stuff I didn't plan on because I needed quick food. The issue is I don't want to take anything out and lose my protein for the day so I'd rather go over and just work harder (exercise more) to make up for it. I guess your way makes more sense! I am over by like 500 (usually aim for 1300 with little or no exercise and I ate 1800-1900) so work off 500 calories. *facepalm* See. Easy...but I'm way too tired. I should have figured that out right away. LOL If there is a Lord he needs to help me lol Thanks for helping me look at it from another angle...I truly appreciate it!!! Going to use wii fit and do a "run" around my living room (a jog because it's only like a 25 foot space lol...probably half of our tiny apartment though)...and then some other exercises and maybe some yoga on there. Then study late. Still have laundry and had to clean the living room. So glad to get this off my mind. Thanks!!!! :) Eating less is harder for me by the way, when I am busy or stressed and home. It's because I am sooo bored that I just want something nice to pick me up sometimes. This time it was 3 peep oreos at one snack time (210 calories) and my last 2 scones at another (160 calories). I am not usually a person who loves sweets, but I just felt like it. I think it gives me a swift boost of energy for some reason? So I just let myself have those snacks and decided to work them off tonight.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Why not let myfitnesspal choose? You can pick to stay at maintenance, or to lose a set amount each week or to gain weight.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Verity1111 wrote: »

LOL. I'm not sure I got that first part. I am not complaining though I just really feel exhausted... I just did another hour and a half of chem work. I need to study for a chem exam on Tuesday and I still need to make dinner and do the exercising. :/ lol. I had my calories worked out but I had some cookies and stuff I didn't plan on because I needed quick food. The issue is I don't want to take anything out and lose my protein for the day so I'd rather go over and just work harder (exercise more) to make up for it. I guess your way makes more sense! I am over by like 500 (usually aim for 1300 with little or no exercise and I ate 1800-1900) so work off 500 calories. *facepalm* See. Easy...but I'm way too tired. I should have figured that out right away. LOL If there is a Lord he needs to help me lol Thanks for helping me look at it from another angle...I truly appreciate it!!! Going to use wii fit and do a "run" around my living room (a jog because it's only like a 25 foot space lol...probably half of our tiny apartment though)...and then some other exercises and maybe some yoga on there. Then study late. Still have laundry and had to clean the living room. So glad to get this off my mind. Thanks!!!! :) Eating less is harder for me by the way, when I am busy or stressed and home. It's because I am sooo bored that I just want something nice to pick me up sometimes. This time it was 3 peep oreos at one snack time (210 calories) and my last 2 scones at another (160 calories). I am not usually a person who loves sweets, but I just felt like it. I think it gives me a swift boost of energy for some reason? So I just let myself have those snacks and decided to work them off tonight.

Some days it's just easier to eat at maintenance and try to lose another day. If you stick to your maintenance calories at least you aren't going backwards. And your brain likes to run on carbs, so it makes sense that you were craving sweets to get some study energy. One thing at a time - you won't have exams forever! Good luck.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    It’s pretty hard to estimate calorie burn.. just do something to make yourself feel better. For the most part we can’t make up for over eating with exercise. Exercise because it’s good for you, enjoy it, do it because you love your body. Let the food situation for today go, it wasn’t the first, it won’t be the last. The best thing is to simply learn to eat the right portions and figure out why you over ate, sometimes it’s not handling stress well. I’m a college student right now so I do that too, but we can learn and move forward, and figure out how to have more days where we didn’t over eat so that we win at everything! You go this!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Your brain is mom jello. It’s not unusual considering the demands on you.

Might I suggest:

https://youtu.be/dtslYJLLYs0

If you have prelogged your meal you might also reduce your portions by a couple hundred calories to help you meet your goals.

Tomorrow when you are rested you might want to write down all the mini successes this week.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    The best thing to do is log the extra 500 calories and move on. Get back on track tomorrow. One day of going 500 calories over your goal is going to make no noticeable difference in your weight loss.

It's also not sustainable to force yourself to work off every extra calorie at the end of the day. That sounds like a recipe for burnout to me, unless you just enjoy doing an hour or two of additional exercise when you're already exhausted.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    apullum wrote: »
    The best thing to do is log the extra 500 calories and move on. Get back on track tomorrow. One day of going 500 calories over your goal is going to make no noticeable difference in your weight loss.

It's also not sustainable to force yourself to work off every extra calorie at the end of the day. That sounds like a recipe for burnout to me, unless you just enjoy doing an hour or two of additional exercise when you're already exhausted.

It definitely does sound like a roadmap leading straight to a spectacular crash and burn. Stress + stress + more stress + stressing even more about weight loss + lack of sleep (cortisol already through the roof from all of that) + forced exercise = big kaboom.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Some days it's just easier to eat at maintenance and try to lose another day. If you stick to your maintenance calories at least you aren't going backwards. And your brain likes to run on carbs, so it makes sense that you were craving sweets to get some study energy. One thing at a time - you won't have exams forever! Good luck.

Thank you! :) I was doing mainanance for a few days and Im in a weight loss contest so I was done with that and back to a decificit lol I got it done last night so Im OK! And thanks for the brain likes carbs note!!
  • Verity1111
    It’s pretty hard to estimate calorie burn.. just do something to make yourself feel better. For the most part we can’t make up for over eating with exercise. Exercise because it’s good for you, enjoy it, do it because you love your body. Let the food situation for today go, it wasn’t the first, it won’t be the last. The best thing is to simply learn to eat the right portions and figure out why you over ate, sometimes it’s not handling stress well. I’m a college student right now so I do that too, but we can learn and move forward, and figure out how to have more days where we didn’t over eat so that we win at everything! You go this!

I actually always make up for overeating with exercise. I do way better when I dont limit myself. and I know youre in college! youre on my FB! Lol. I hope its going good!!!! I didnt overeat. I ate the "wrong" foods technically (sweets) and I am working on high protein so I didnt want to take out anything I pre-logged. I would rather eat my protein and work harder!
  • Verity1111
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It definitely does sound like a roadmap leading straight to a spectacular crash and burn. Stress + stress + more stress + stressing even more about weight loss + lack of sleep (cortisol already through the roof from all of that) + forced exercise = big kaboom.

I always do that. I lost 70lbs doing it. Exercising more works better for me than stressing myself out. I had an eating disorder before and it doesnt just go away. Id be thinking about how I went over for a LONG time and it would drive me nuts. Its easier just to work it off.
  • Verity1111
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Your brain is mom jello. It’s not unusual considering the demands on you.

Might I suggest:

https://youtu.be/dtslYJLLYs0

If you have prelogged your meal you might also reduce your portions by a couple hundred calories to help you meet your goals.

Tomorrow when you are rested you might want to write down all the mini successes this week.

Mom jello haha I love that... I actually did dance lol I did that on the wii fit and I did other exercises on my own and added steps. :) Thanks for the understanding. xo Mommy life alone is rough lol
  • Verity1111

It's sustainable. Exhausting, but sustainable. But I appreciate the concern. I enjoy it if I have the time actually but I don't lol so the issue is the losing sleep. I do what I need to do though because I couldnt focus if I didnt work it off
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2018
    Is 1800 about maintenance for you? Do you lose about 1 lb a week when you eat 1300?
    If so and you eat 1800 then you need to burn 500 more calories to have a deficit to lose 1 lb a week.

You may be better off exercising less and using the time to get more sleep if you are so exhausted. Lack of sleep can lead to overeating and making poor choices.