Slimming down legs?!

Options
All my weight seems to go to my legs... what are the best excercises everyone has for slimming down your legs ? (Especially calves)

Replies

• alicepalmer_
    alicepalmer_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Am I right in assuming you are a pear shape? Your body shape you will have to learn to love. As for spot reducing, that is not possible.

Making sure you have some muscle tone will help hold fat in place and make it appear better, but the fat itself is something you'll have to diet off I'm afraid.

Yes I am – my legs have always been bigger! I am already dieting and I have noticed changed to the rest of my body- but my legs seem to be the most stubborn place to visibly see the weight shifting unfortunately!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Alot of our shape is down to genetics. Losing fat will help. We can't spot reduce unfortunately :/
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, though from a different shape perspective. I'm relatively straight shape wise (I think they call it banana) and my problem area is my belly. My arms and legs slim down at just the thought of a diet, whereas my belly takes a long term diet. Patience is seeing it come down in size. At the end of the day you cannot change your body shape and you cannot spot reduce. Patience and learning to love your shape are the two most important things to help you set realistic goals in your journey to slim down.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't carry a lot of weight in my legs (tummy is my issue.). However, I have noticed a definite improvement in my legs' shape, tone and strength by:
    1. Walking on treadmill on the steepest incline
    2. Jumping rope
    3. Jumping jacks
    4. Yoga
  • lizzyfit2
    lizzyfit2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    YEP YEP YESSS!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    lizzyfit2 wrote: »
    This saying has been around forever,
    Ive never been in a gym or trainer (no need) before recently.
    The trainer i used to get me started, never said it, but didnt dispute it either.
    My program is based on this, I know with my diet and these types of excersises, I'm not just losing weight (again, not much to lose), but Im losing inches everywhere and safely melting down to my "former" shape.
    Not sure why this is so important to shoot down? Its just common sense, and it works

If you see the link Anvil posted above, toning is about losing fat to reveal the muscle under to gain a level of definition. You do this by stimulation of the muscle as you lose weight, most optimally by progressive overload to retain as much as possible. You can achieve this in many weight/rep ranges actually, it isn't so black/white as high vs low rep.

To gain muscle (eating in a surplus of calories) I use a variety of rep ranges, but mostly higher rep 8-12 range. If low reps and heavier weights was all it took to gain muscle, you could for example turn flat glutes to large glutes easily while losing weight by simply following a strength or powerlifting program. But it doesn't exactly happen that way.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    All my weight seems to go to my legs... what are the best excercises everyone has for slimming down your legs ? (Especially calves)

My problem area is my stomach. My arms and legs got skinny before my tummy budged, so I'm guessing for you that last spot will be your legs. The universe has a cruel sense of humor sometimes!

The thing is that exercises work your muscles, not your fat. So they aren't going to affect where you store fat, just strengthen the muscles underneath.

If you aren't yet, try to add strength/resistance training to your routine. Any full body workout you enjoy enough to keep doing. Exercise burns some calories, and folks who diet while maintaining a solid foundation of muscle underneath tend to be happier with how they look overall. Sorry the answer isn't better than that, but it is what it is!

If you are interested in strength training routines, here's a thread with some suggestions:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Another pear shaped female here. My thighs are the last place to lose. It's annoying... My waist will shrink down a pant size or two, but my thighs stay the same. It's rather ridiculous looking but *shrug* c'est la vie.