Eating disorder support?

Options
Are there any eating disorder groups on MFP? Not pro-ED groups, but not ‘recovery’ groups. I don’t want to post things triggering to people in recovery but am not steadily in a state of recovery. I want to be able to talk/post about things I’m experiencing with other people in a sort of ‘limbo’ stage without triggering others. Not Pro - ED.

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I haven’t seen any on here but if you go to the EDA website they have online Eating Disorders Anonymous meetings daily
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Officially diagnosed with OSFED a few months ago. If you find a group I'd love to be a part of it, I haven't seen any here. If you haven't been to see a professional I HIGHLY recommend it.
  • Shannongr29
    Shannongr29 Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Are there any eating disorder groups on MFP? Not pro-ED groups, but not ‘recovery’ groups. I don’t want to post things triggering to people in recovery but am not steadily in a state of recovery. I want to be able to talk/post about things I’m experiencing with other people in a sort of ‘limbo’ stage without triggering others. Not Pro - ED.
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    If you need someone to message please feel free to request me. In and out of recovery for bulimia and restrict/binge cycling for the past 20 years. It’s hard. About once a year I find myself slipping into old behaviors and have to consciously get back on track but it can be done

I’ve suffered with one on and off for almost 20 years as well. Feel free to message me
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of any. You can message me, though.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I belong to the following MFP Group since I have a diagnosed Binge Eating Disorder. There are people posting to this group almost daily.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/726-binge-eating-support-group
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    People here aren’t very supportive towards ED sufferers/ survivors. Basically they will told you to get professional help because MFP is not the place to share your ED.

I have struggle with food & weight loss. I’m also bullimic. Talking with people from MFP about my struggle only triggers my ED because very few gave emotional support, so I decided to delete my post relating that topic.

Telling them to get professional help IS supportive, because nobody here is adequately trained to help you. )

I can only speak for my own recovery. But I found connecting with others who were in recovery and successfully getting healthy again more helpful that treatment. That’s not saying that counseling didn’t help at all. It did. It helped me uncover my own motivation and triggers which I really needed to do to get well. Connecting with others in recovery though gave me a hope I would have never gotten from “professionals”. I needed to see others overcoming it in order to believe that I could too. No amount of knowledge was ever going to help me recover without that hope.