Pre-diabetic

Options
Found out recently I’m pre diabetic and bought a blood glucose kit, used it and it was at 126 with last meal being about 3 1/2 hours prior give or take should I be concerned???

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It’s not in the danger zone. I had to look it up because I am used to the Canadian MMOL/L.

https://healthiack.com/blood-sugar-levels-chart

Do you feel kind of fuzzy and dragged out? Take it easy until the blood sugar numbers come down.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is not something that can be properly assessed without a visual comprehensive assessment by trained medical professional.

Having said that even the concept of "pre-diabetes" is a risk indicator and not an actual diagnosis. It should be considered as a warning indicator to get on a better path.
  • jgzunich09
    jgzunich09 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    No I feel fine
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    How long does it take for blood sugar levels to come down I was diagnosed about a month ago and have really been watching what I eat
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    The correct answer is always "It depends". This is largely driven by your genetics and long term habits. There may be short term variances driven by diet, but again this is dependent on the individual.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I suggest you take your fasted reading first thing in the morning tomorrow. Then follow up with another reading two hours after you eat. The difference between those two numbers will tell you how well you are processing your sugars.

Using a chart like what I provided you need a medical follow up only if it lands in the danger zone. Otherwise the blood sugar number is “information”.

Using my food log and my blood sugar readings I found out I could safely eat two slices of pizza but not three.

Take each meal and each blood sugar reading as further information for informed choices.

My best wishes to you.
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    I had a regular screening and initially my glucose bld was 6.9 and blood glucose at 136
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    Doctor suggested to do another glucose bld in 3 months and said I am diabetic..... and I will need medication if it doesn’t come down
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My husband was pre-diabetic and significantly cut down the amount of carbs he was eating. Got his blood sugar counts down over time and his doctor said he was no longer pre-diabetic. Hope you are able to achieve the same results.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Losing even 10 lbs (whether low carb or not) will definitely help bring it down before your next appt
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    I’m not overweight I’m 5’9 156lbs and do weight lifting 3 times a week since I was 20!and I’m 38 my diet is pretty much on point have oatmeal and egg whites breakfast snack whole wheat bread with peanut butter and 3 hard boiled eggs lunch is usually chicken or tuna,sardines or salmon with 2 lightly salted rice cakes mid afternoon snack is pistachios, cheese stick and plain non fat yogurt dinner is mostly chicken or maybe steak or fish with veggies and on workout days I have brown rice or sweet potato
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    jgzunich09 wrote: »
    I’m not overweight I’m 5’9 156lbs and do weight lifting 3 times a week since I was 20!and I’m 38 my diet is pretty much on point have oatmeal and egg whites breakfast snack whole wheat bread with peanut butter and 3 hard boiled eggs lunch is usually chicken or tuna,sardines or salmon with 2 lightly salted rice cakes mid afternoon snack is pistachios, cheese stick and plain non fat yogurt dinner is mostly chicken or maybe steak or fish with veggies and on workout days I have brown rice or sweet potato

Try adding cardio to your workout. Your diet seems reasonable, so I am hesitant to recommend cutting carbs at this point. Unless you would be interested in cutting one of your grains to add more veggies throughout the day?

Have you been sick or stressed recently? Perhaps the readings were just a fluke.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Since you are testing it is good to know how these meals affect you. Small changes like reducing or switching out the oatmeal may be all you need to do.

Not to blame the oatmeal! But diabetics may react to some carbs harder than others. Mine was rice or potatoes.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options

OMG - my mistake! So sorry - I guess I just assume if someone’s posting here, they are trying to lose weight. Follow the advice from the smarter people who posted!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Found out recently I’m pre diabetic and bought a blood glucose kit, used it and it was at 126 with last meal being about 3 1/2 hours prior give or take should I be concerned???

I was prediabetic for a short while. Doctor suggested I lose 10lbs, and that really helped.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Doctor suggested to do another glucose bld in 3 months and said I am diabetic..... and I will need medication if it doesn’t come down

Yep, not surprising your doctor has moved your diagnosis from pre to full fledged diabetic, 126 fasting is not cool.

If you are overweight, lose as much weight as possible in the meantime. Add exercise to your daily routines - three short walks right after eating are better for blood sugar control than a single longer walk. Add strength training as well, it improves your control for a whole 24 hours after heavy lifting. Track all your food using accurate entries so you can get your net carbs. It's good that you already have a testing kit - test between an hour and two hours after every meal until you learn how many carbs of different kinds you can tolerate. This is very individual- for example I can eat a lot of fruit and potatoes, but almost no tortillas or legumes, and others are the opposite. You have to learn how your own body reacts. Aim to keep your post prandial (after eating) readings as low as possible, but definitely under 180.

You got this. My A1c was 11 when I was diagnosed, and weight loss, eating to the meter, and exercise dropped it to normal levels.

Edit: just read your post about your weight and diet. It seems like you already have a healthy diet and lifestyle - have you had a steroid shot recently? Have you been tested for antibodies?
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    Appreciate all the info from everyone, I think I’ve figured out what was causing my blood sugar to rise I was over supplementing with a dextrose powder/carb supplement which I was adding to my pre and post workout shake(real food by rich piana) and eating a banana before workout and then one before bed along with white rice or potato’s for my dinner. I threw out the dextrose/carb powder cut out the bananas and any potato not named sweet potato and only eat brown rice ob workout days for dinner and added a lot more veggies and tweaked my sugar intake my main concern was asking if the 126 blood glucose after 3 hours of last meal should be a concern? It’s been almost 6 weeks since these changes and I guess next question is how long does it take to get blood sugar back to normal levels? And what other changes should I make to my diet/exercise....?