Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

tea/coffe/diet pop vs water debate

Options
124»

Replies

• JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents worth, but I drink diet pop & a lot of water/tea & I'm down 40+ pounds since the end of January. I don't buy that diet pop makes me crave more food, I think it's more that the lack of calories in my Pepsi Max doesn't make me feel fuller like a can of Dr. Pepper would, so if I'm not careful, I feel the need to eat more food to feel full. But that's just me.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    abbefaria4 wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, scientific opinion is overwhelmingly against diet soda. Consider the below link that discusses the current state of research to date. Is there a single major scientist who is confident that diet soda does not cause weight gain?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/09/08/the-awful-truth-about-diet-soda-and-weight-gain-according-to-science/#4dbd4f7462f8

Also, you mentioned the reason people drinking diet soda gain more weight is because they use it to justify eating more. Do you have any evidence to back that up. Consider Stanford professor Kelly McGonigal's explanation of the more likely reason why people eat more on diet soda. I'm quoting chapter three of her book The Willpower Instinct. It's discussing why people have a hard time staying on diets. "This is a little known effect of diet soda that contributes to hunger, overeating, and weight gain. The sweet taste tricks the body into taking up glucose from the bloodstream in anticipation of a sugar spike. You're left with less energy and less self-control, while your body and brain wonder what happened to the sugar rush you were promised. This may be why recent studies show diet soda is associated with weight gain, not weight loss."

Kelly's point isn't that people irrationally eat more because of "magical thinking", it's that diet soda has an actual metabolic effect which makes them hungrier.

If it weren't for diet soda, I wouldn't have survived this long on my diet. Is it as healthy as water? No! there's sodium and artificial sweeteners in it. But it is very low- no calories. A bottle of coke zero has about 4 calories from the artificial sweetener but they're allowed to mark the calories as zero because anything under than 5 counts as insignificant to the FDA.

There have been studies done that show artificial sweeteners cause a chemical reaction in the body that may trigger hunger/ sugar cravings like the one above. But for me, diet soda is a lifesaver because if I'm at the movies and everyone near me is eating popcorn and drinking sprite, at least I have something that isn't water to drink. I've lost over 90lbs drinking a few bottles a day. It doesn't contribute calories. Also, for every article you've pulled, I can pull another one stating the exact opposite.

Soda has the same amount of sodium as water, just an FYI.

There is about 18MG of sodium in 12 ounces of water. 40MG in 12 ounces of diet coke...

Depends on your water source.
    Bottled? By what company and what collection source?
    Tap? What city?
    Well? Which well from which part of the yard?

Oh, just wait for the "raw" water scam too. I wonder when the first person will die or fall gravely ill from parasites and various other pathogens from that hot mess.

Hipsters man. And I remember when drinking tap water was edgy.

Oh well, guess they need something to wash down those Tide Pods.

Raw water and Tide Pods could be the ultimate “cleanse”.

Well, it would be monumental but probably not enjoyable.

And I initially read tad poles!
    Takes it in a whole other direction. Instead of a tide pod cleanse; one could be bottom burping frogs.

Cheers, h.