Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

tea/coffe/diet pop vs water debate

Options
System
System Posts: 1,900 MFP Staff
This discussion was created from replies split from: tea/coffee/diet pop same as water?.

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Exactly, the 64oz per day is not exactly a myth but it's based on calculations of food intake to water requirements and the 64oz included water within the food itself, which is substantial. The marketing myth of being thirsty before you know it is another thing that needs to die. Your body is pretty good at letting you know when you need food and water.

OP, tea, coffee and sodas are pretty much the same for hydration but for anyone doing IF or other fasting they are not the same since they cause certain metabolic reactions that alter the fasting state.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    meowthhh wrote: »
    Sure the content is mostly water, but coffee and tea are also diuretic so I don’t count them into my 6 glass a day consumption. The amount of water doesn’t affect my weight much, but my skin looks better and my head hurts when I don’t drink enough.

This is incorrect, the diuretic effects of these drinks is insignificant and has negligable impact on their ability to hydrate the body. You would have to drink a lot of coffee or tea to actually get the diuretic effect. I'm not surprised that your skin looks better since hydration levels can affect the apperance and quality.