TRAUMATIZED by video of myself

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    At one of my previous jobs, they took photos of us constantly. We did a lot of "charity" events in addition to our regular work and would be in awkward positions serving food or assisting people or playing games...AND usually in ill-fitting event t-shirts, too! It was awful - I HATED that so much, it was an excellent job but more than a few times I thought of quitting just based on the constant influx of horrible photos in my email and on the company intranet. Even though it was almost a decade ago now, I vividly recall coming in to work one day and there was a glossy photo of my ex-husband and me, from a gala we attended. I thought I looked so good that night with freshly done hair/makeup and in a brand new dress. In the photo I was seated and all I could see were fat rolls, and my neck looked huge with a double chin. I was at my heaviest but when I looked in the mirror I didn't see THAT. I threw that dress in the trash when I got home.

What made it a little worse, was I felt like I was the only one to be upset about my photos, even among a lot of other very large women & men. They would plaster the pics on their walls and smile. It made me feel so embarrassed and vain that I actually cried sometimes about mine (tried to hide this reaction, but sometimes it was impossible). I knew I was fat but I wasn't used to all of the pictures from different angles and "unprepared". I didn't love posed full body photos in my most flattering outfits either, but I wasn't scarred by those.

Weirdly though I do like the way I appear on video better than in photos. I think I have been desensitized through years of debate and then public speaking, so I don't mind my voice or "active" image even when I was at my heaviest. It's pictures that get me down sometimes. Far less so after losing weight, but sometimes it still happens even now that I've lost the weight I aimed to lose. I know people say this a lot but we really our own worst critics!
  • Amara411
    Amara411 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes! My boyfriend loves taking pictures of us, I can't stand to see my face and double chin so I tend to hide. He took one of me from the back and I could have just crawled into a hole. I couldn't believe I let go of myself that much
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have never felt at any weight that a photo or video looked like what I think I look like. I have always felt strange about seeing myself in those ways. I think that is different than someone being in denial about their weight and suddenly seeing it.

I was in denial about my physical condition for a long time until I realized I couldn't walk a few blocks without pain, keep up with my family, climb stairs in my house without being short of breath, not sleeping well.

I think everyone has some moment when they realize things are not the way they should be and want to change that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Two women I admired have passed away with barely any pictures of them at all. Neither were happy with the way they looked, preferring photos of themselves at their peak of beauty in their twenties. It’s hard to hold on to memories if there are no mementoes from those special moments.

I’m determined to document my life, plump and otherwise, to give those I love solid memories to sustain them. My daughter and granddaughter do not see the blemishes, the double chins, the wattle of extra skin, and the wrinkles.

I was able to help my granddaughter with her algebra yesterday, a surprise to us both. I mean, I learned this stuff thirty years ago. You gonna bet we will both hang on to this memory.
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Absolutely. I don't like being in pictures, and when I am, I prefer to have my body hidden in any way possible. I don't tell my friends this, because I love them, but I die a little inside every time I see photos with me in them. I'm very far from the "love myself' stage of things, and photos just remind me of that.

If I don't have photos showing my body, I can work myself, mentally, to the point of accepting that I really am making changes, I really am working hard, I really did move faster or lift more. But a picture throws all of that off and takes me straight back to "you'll never fit in, you're going to have heart disease like everyone else in your family, and you'll be diabetic before you know it."

I "fight the sadness" by just giving in. This isn't really an uplifting or advice-giving post. I've not found a way to actively move past that terrible feeling. It happens over time, albeit not as long as it used to take. So, I guess that's a good thing! I am a little more vocal about my insecurities now, which helps. The people I keep around me have known me long enough to pick up on them even when I'm not vocal, and through their reminding that I am completing my goals, I am able to move past the mental block a particularly bad photo will give me.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I HATE having my picture taken. When I'm in shape I'm still a butterface, which I made my peace with a long time ago, but looking the way I currently do there is nothing about my appearance that I like. Periodically we have to have our pictures taken at work, but always in groups and I'm tall so I end up in the back. From there I can adjust my stance so I'm hidden from the camera. People have commented how I never seem to be in the pictures and I just say I wasn't there that day.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Amara411 wrote: »
    Yes! My boyfriend loves taking pictures of us, I can't stand to see my face and double chin so I tend to hide. He took one of me from the back and I could have just crawled into a hole. I couldn't believe I let go of myself that much

Ohhh yes I Know that feel about the from-the-back boyfriend photo. I had a minor fight with my husband over that when we went on our first big trip together, because he was going to post several pics from that angle on social media and I didn't want him to. Although I've gotta give him credit, because he didn't post them, and he kind of "made me" (encouraged) take full body pics on the trip that I WOULD approve of. That is a lot easier for me now but still hard at times. I consider it a big NSV that he took a weirdly positioned unflattering photo of me recently at a museum in some kind of space capsule with my belly looking pretty wonky and I was honestly fine with him posting it. I knew it wasn't my best angle but I wasn't traumatized.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Even at my lowest, hate having my picture taken. There's still areas of my body that will never look good after losing 80 lbs (and now regaining 20. Sigh). I totally sympathize OP.
  • blujp
    blujp Posts: 30 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I went to a con and got a pic with one of my favorite actors. Then I looked at it and it ruined the entire rest of the weekend for me - I didn't want to do any more pics with actors I'd been planning on and felt like crap. I have the pic saved on my phone but can't even look at it now without getting upset.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Just two days ago we took some photos of us with our daughter on her birthday while we were out for dinner. I was absolutely horrified when I saw the photos later--I have gained about 6lbs since getting down to my goal weight, but I still considered myself to be in an OK range. But in the photos, I look like I need to lose another 20 lbs or more. I honestly didn't look anything like that to myself in the mirror. My daughter said the photos were just taken at a bad angle. I didn't buy it. But then a MFP friend told me about something she saw online about fitness professionals in photos taken at the same time, one when they are posing well, one when they are not. There was quite a difference in the photos. I started reading about how to pose for photos--I'm a total klutz about posing. In the awful photos, my arms were smashed against my body, hiding my waist and looking flattened--and large. Maybe there's something to it. But mostly, it just makes me realize I need to get serious about losing the last 6 lbs again and getting more toned. The photo still haunts me, and believe me I know how you feel. I think the best we can do is let this motivate us to make some positive changes. :( If we really apply ourselves, it won't be that long before we can look at ourselves and feel better about what we see, right?
  • Kohanai
    Options
    blujp wrote: »
    I went to a con and got a pic with one of my favorite actors. Then I looked at it and it ruined the entire rest of the weekend for me - I didn't want to do any more pics with actors I'd been planning on and felt like crap. I have the pic saved on my phone but can't even look at it now without getting upset.

You know, I struggle with this. Going to Cons is the best, and I want to enjoy photo ops with my favs, but that means being in the photo with them, and I just can't bring myself to do it.
  • Kohanai
    Options
    Ok, advice-giving post now that I'm officially over my latest photo experience. At least, this is my *real* answer to "fighting the sadness." It may not work for anyone else.

"Great photos" of people generally have great angles, great lighting, perhaps some editing or smoothing, and a pleasing ratio of space to subject. This can happen with candids or group photos, but not often. We need to try to remember that it generally takes work for even the most photogenic people to have great photos. Everyone deals with crappy photos and videos, and everyone has these down periods. That's natural. However, the problem isn't with US. It is with the science of taking a 3d object (you) and rendering it in a 2d form (photo). With that, we are tuned in to our negatives, so will see them regardless of if it is a great photo or not.

I'm one of those people that needs facts to feel better about something, as no amount of cajoling or propping up will help me. Fact: big box chains generally make clothing to fit a couple of body types. If you are not in that range of body type, even the most mundane of clothing will fit weird. A friend reminded me of that, and it helped.

So, for photos in general, from a photographer with a ridiculous photo phobia to others: be aware of how you stand, the shape your body/arms/head makes, camera angle in relation to you, and your relationship with others (objects or people) in the photo. A simple head tilt, body twist, space showing between arm and waist/legs, or sticking your hip out will make a huge difference in the transition from a 3d person to a 2d photo.

For me, knowing these things supports the fact that what I SEE in a mirror clashes with what appears on a PHOTO. I went back to Target today, put one of the stupid bathing suits back on and took another photo with some of those things in mind. With just a couple of pose changes (I promise, not work, just, standing differently), I was better able to recreate what I was SEEING, and I didn't feel as bad when I saw the photo. Heh, I still wasn't happy, and you better bet I deleted it as soon as I was done scrutinizing it. But, it didn't traumatize me like it did Friday (or whenever that happened).
  • seltzermint555
    Options

That stinks. In college, a bunch of friends and I met and "hung out with" Vanilla Ice and they still share the photos (it wasn't in his heyday, late 90s comeback attempt)...I destroyed all photos with me in them, because I didn't like the way I looked, weight and haircolor/style. I should regret it maybe but I don't at all. I looked my all-time worst in those pics. But at least it taught me not to dye my hair bright bright red. haha
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Unhappiness is a sign that something powerful is stirring inside of you. To do what the voice inside of you may have always been calling you to do...
  • layandal
    layandal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Even worse: I love taking photos and always want to be in them, too, so I'm somewhere to be seen in our family albums. I will tell my husband to take a pic of my daughter and me (since there are thousand of the two of them) and I'm always super disappointed with how I look. Especially when it's from the side.
  • blujp
    blujp Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    tweedabird wrote: »
    Can I just say...it’s been a tough week. With that video thing and then a 4 year old asking my why I look so big.... she literally was like “what did you eat? Why do you look like this (holding arms out wide) Whaaaaaat the heck??? Come freaking on... lol I didn’t thing i looked THAT freakishly big. So all that being said, it so nice knowing I’m not the only one that has this reaction to photos. But I’m ready for a fresh week. Went for a walk tonight which felt really really good. So bring on next week.

Kids can be the woooooorst about that stuff. I am a teacher and my students have told me 'Miss M needs to work out or Miss M has a big stomach' like THANKS GUYS. I teach special education so my kids have zero filter lmao.

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    How the food is stored on you doesn't define who you are as a person, when you're fat and when you're skinny and fit. Take it easy.
  • tweedabird
    tweedabird Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    tweedabird wrote: »
    Can I just say...it’s been a tough week. With that video thing and then a 4 year old asking my why I look so big.... she literally was like “what did you eat? Why do you look like this (holding arms out wide) Whaaaaaat the heck??? Come freaking on... lol I didn’t thing i looked THAT freakishly big. So all that being said, it so nice knowing I’m not the only one that has this reaction to photos. But I’m ready for a fresh week. Went for a walk tonight which felt really really good. So bring on next week.

Kids can be the woooooorst about that stuff. I am a teacher and my students have told me 'Miss M needs to work out or Miss M has a big stomach' like THANKS GUYS. I teach special education so my kids have zero filter lmao.

Oh my word I know. This was the second time she’s said something to me. She followed up by asking how I like being her best friend. lol She’s a super funny kid but yeah. Kids=0 filter.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    use it as motivation. and love where you are. you can love where you are and still want to be a better version.