Why aren’t i losing weight!?

Options

Replies

• Li5a87MFP
    Li5a87MFP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    So aim for accurately measured 2000 to 2100 during the week and a bit less on the weekend (if the weekend is less). Or go for a nice walk on the weekend and keep it similar.

Stick your spray oil on gram accurate scale. hit tare. Spray. Stick back on scale. You've used x grams. Each gram is so close to 9 Cal as makes no difference.

What does a spray mean? I have a heavy spray finger. You don't. Weight is weight.

i think this is where my issues lie as hearing eat 2000 calories a day is terrifying!!
    yet if you look back through my diary some over eating days i eat nearly 4,000 and some days i eat nearer 1,000...
    i think because i was sedentary for so long i got use to 1,200-1,300 ish being ok... i’m now struggling with what to eat for i’m doing now which has been a massive change really.

i was going on what i said on the packet ‘i kcal per spray’!!!
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    Li5a87MFP wrote: »
    So aim for accurately measured 2000 to 2100 during the week and a bit less on the weekend (if the weekend is less). Or go for a nice walk on the weekend and keep it similar.

Stick your spray oil on gram accurate scale. hit tare. Spray. Stick back on scale. You've used x grams. Each gram is so close to 9 Cal as makes no difference.

What does a spray mean? I have a heavy spray finger. You don't. Weight is weight.

i think this is where my issues lie as hearing eat 2000 calories a day is terrifying!!
    yet if you look back through my diary some over eating days i eat nearly 4,000 and some days i eat nearer 1,000...
    i think because i was sedentary for so long i got use to 1,200-1,300 ish being ok... i’m now struggling with what to eat for i’m doing now which has been a massive change really.

i was going on what i said on the packet ‘i kcal per spray’!!!

Yes. And your cereal packet says 1/3 cup or 50g. Go on. Check how much 1/3 of cup really weighs.

see pics below iv actually been giving myself the right amount in cereal but underestimating my milk by about 50ml.... now eating cereal at 2:13am lol
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    gu5cgl5b3ize.jpeg
    miidfev72qhh.jpeg
    mwalhzvn5ku0.jpeg
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,861 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the caveat. If you've done everything right and your trending weight is still not showing appropriate results after 4 to 6 weeks... you get to adjust your goals per your actual results now that you're confident that your logging is up to par.
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    Don't forget the caveat. If you've done everything right and your trending weight is still not showing appropriate results after 4 to 6 weeks... you get to adjust your goals per your actual results now that you're confident that your logging is up to par.

okay fresh start for tomorrow with a new 4-6 weeks, will weight daily, what’s your opinion on weekly weigh ins? should i just forget that and just keep going with daily for a while?
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Agree with getting a digital scale. Those spring ones can be wildly inaccurate!

i’ll have a look at getting some
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,861 Member
    Options

okay fresh start for tomorrow with a new 4-6 weeks, will weight daily, what’s your opinion on weekly weigh ins? should i just forget that and just keep going with daily for a while?

Depends on how much your brain hamsters gibber. Mine are perfectly happy looking at daily variations and in any case the only weight that I consider official is my trending weight per trendweight.com

I enter my weight in on fitbit.com which automagically pushes it to MFP and trendweight and weightgrapher for the heck of it.
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options

Depends on how much your brain hamsters gibber. Mine are perfectly happy looking at daily variations and in any case the only weight that I consider official is my trending weight per trendweight.com

I enter my weight in on fitbit.com which automagically pushes it to MFP and trendweight and weightgrapher for the heck of it.

i’ll have a look in to it! i think it’s weekly
    weigh ins that bother me!
  • kam3190
    kam3190 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Im not sure if you said your age and stats but Im guessing we are somewhat similar.28 and I am 5ft6 and 200 lbs exactly. My 4 week data from fitbit gives me 3000 tdee average and Ive been eating 2400-2700 calories a day and losing 1 lb per week. I was getting about 18000 steps a day. Between 15000 and 20000 . I trusted my fitbit numbers and eat back every delicious 1 of them
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    Nevermind, I might be muddying the waters.

?

• layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Agree with getting a digital scale. Those spring ones can be wildly inaccurate!

I had an analogue scale and was wondering why I wasn't losing. Started losing once I bought a digital one.
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    It is great that you have a job that keeps you on your feet and moving around.

Regardless of your weight I bet you are a lot more healthy!

I would (in addition to checking that your eating is as you think it is, and pulling back on the take aways etc) get a little more informed about burning calories...

Mfp overestimates calories burned - and I imagine so do fitness trackers etc. (Certainly if you read threads on them I get this impression).

12000 -16,000 steps - done slowly, with a bit of lifting, bending etc - is good for you and your heart. But it is not going to burn a whole load of calories. If you did it all day super fast, out of breath all the time - then yes. But if you are just moving around, then no, Likewise most school 'runs' are actually school 'dawdles'.

I suspect that you have created a mental picture of 'i am burning shed loads all day' which in reality you are not and this is helping you to overeat for your goals.

Sorry - I doubt you wanted to hear this.

I walk a dog. Somedays I walk it fast, much is uphill - and burn calories at a reasonable amount. Other days it is slowish, chatting away, enjoying the view, still bending down lots (to throw sticks) - it can amount to the same steps, but is barely worth logging...

If you are new to exercise, it is really common to mentally think you are burning more than you really are... and for this to skew your results.

So (assuming there might be some truth in my suggestion all those steps are not being done with calorie burning gusto)

- Accept that your calorie burn from 5 hours on your feet as not so big

- and / or move faster to make those steps count.

Can you keep up with the fastest stable hand - for short bursts to begin with, and long stretches as your fitness grows. Or if you work solo can you time a task today (eg usual walking across the yard and back) and do it double speed tomorrow? And build more speed into those steps....

Good luck!

Thank you for this, i did the same job i’m doing now ten years ago and lost a lot of weight quickly, i didn’t even think about what i ate then at all so assumed it would just be easy this time. a lot of them over eating is frustration from not doing i think. (bad logic i know). i’m also finding it harder to lose weight than i did when i did no exercise at all which is again frustrating!
    i already keep up with the fastest stable hand, i pretty much run the school run part i don’t have my child to make up time, we muck out 7-8 big horses boxes a day in an hour and a half so it does feel like hard work, i certainly ache at the end of each shift six months on!
    but yes i do wonder if my fitbit is over estimating calories and something that’s always worried me which is why i never counted them each day and just allowed myself to go over a couple of days expecting things to level out because of doing a lot more than i use to. that method hasn’t worked!
    i definitely need to stop the under and over eating and find a balance that fits with what calories i’m burning however much it is and balance the appetite i have from it which probably isn’t in equal relation to the calorie increase.
    hopefully by increasing my calories a bit every day rather than not enough
    and then far too much other days i’ll get there i think i’ll just have to start back
    at my fitness pals calorie guide and if i don’t lose weight start cutting it down.

as you say it’s not what i want to hear this is the hardest i’ve ever found losing weight when i expected it to me easy! but i think that’s led to sloppiness with choices and tracking and going from strict to what the hell mind set not
    balance expecting the exercise to outweigh it but don’t think it has as you say xx
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    that said on the bright side i have lost 4 inches from my waist, 1.5 inches from each thigh, 1 inch from my calf and 1 inch from my upper arms, i can fasten an old coat i couldn’t before and have dropped a dress size. so at least that’s something. and would indicate i am actually burning a good few calories. x
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,750 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One more thought - you say the fitbit is saying you regularly burn over 2,000 calories. Another member reviewed your diary for 30 days and said you averaged 1700 calories. If both numbers are accurate, that's (roughly) a 300 kcal deficit per day, which would translate to 2.5 pounds for the month (or just over half a pound per week). This could easily be "hidden" by water weight fluctuations thanks to sodium intake and TOM - particularly when you are only weighing once per week. I weigh daily, and my numbers can fluctuate up to 5 or 6 pounds from one day to the next depending on sodium intake.

It's hard not to keep changing things from one week to the next when you don't see the dramatic results you're hoping to see. Try to follow a set plan for 4 weeks as others have outlined above and see how it goes. Then you'll have a more accurate picture of how much you're eating and burning and where you need to make adjustments.

Good luck! :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, I might be muddying the waters.

?

I was going to go into something and thought better of it because you're already taking on board a lot of information. You're ending up where I would have had you anyway, so it's all good!

Definitely get a digital scale.