Binge Eating/Food Craving Thread

Options
2»

Replies

• kakaovanilya
    kakaovanilya Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 days to lose binge weight and it was frustrating. I am hoping to go for 3 weeks without cheating or binging.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I recently had admitted I "struggle " with binging. Since doing that, I started reading 2 books, Brain over Binge and Taming The Feast Beast. I have found both to be very interesting and helpful. In a matter of 2 weeks from me telling myself and others I "struggle " today I feel I "manage ". One simple word change, one small change in how I view the urge to over eat has made a HUGE difference.
    Wishing you luck!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Second Laura’s Brain over Binge recommendation.

It’s not easy but it comes down to recognizing the voice of the Binge beast, recognizing deeply entrenched habits, and then using the higher brain, to interrupt the process.

Mindfulness / Awareness is important to recognize that the Binge is coming. So I also recommend being alert to situations that trigger binging.
  • kakaovanilya
    Options
    Second Laura’s Brain over Binge recommendation.

It’s not easy but it comes down to recognizing the voice of the Binge beast, recognizing deeply entrenched habits, and then using the higher brain, to interrupt the process.

Mindfulness / Awareness is important to recognize that the Binge is coming. So I also recommend being alert to situations that trigger binging.

I am not sure if I have a binge eating problem. I usually binge every two weeks when I'm on a diet. Do you think this is normal?
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I do think that is normal.

Diets involve consuming less calories over a period of time. Your brain wants to protect you from harm. The brain will see longer term calorie deprivation as threat. So the hypothalamus will send strong urges to consume calories.

Also, during a diet you might not be getting as many nutrients as the body demands. Fats are essential, and low fat diets are very popular. The brain and body knows what it is deprived of and you will begin to experience cravings and urges.

Binge Eating Disorder, and Bulimia can result from the dieting cycle, but are more involved. It’s usually more of a Restriction- Binge - Purge repeating cycle. There are other factors such as obsession, fear foods, anxiety, and other non normal eating rituals; (Hiding evidence of the binge and purge for me) This activity requires medical support.

If you want to lose weight, avoid extremes. Get your essential nutrients. If you are hungry, eat. Severe dieting behaviors will likely result in binging.

And if you eating does become uncontrollable and mindless, do seek help.
  • justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Tbh I had to go to therapy. It was a lot of changing my way of thinking, then changing my eating habits. Having someone that understands and keeps me accountable was the most useful. I’m much better now with my self-control and it’s reflected in my ability to keep a healthy weight and eating habits but there are days that I cry because I’m so weak and my emotions (mostly anger) still need work. I’m continuing to learn that different foods are meant to be enjoyed in moderation. Keep fighting and build a social support system that caters to your needs and personality.
  • kakaovanilya
    Options
    I don't know what happened to me. I've been binging for 3 days and gained 3 kilograms. I feel devastated :'(
  • kakaovanilya
    Options
    I've checked success stories on the forum several times and seen people lost big amounts of weight. They've done amazing jobs. I need to lose 5 kilograms only and I just can't do it. I am a total loser :(