Why aren’t i losing weight!?

Options
1235»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,786 Member
    Options
    Inches don't disappear because you're not getting results. I am starting to wonder if we just have a measuring our results problem.

Water retention makes weight fluctuate much faster than fluctuations caused by changes to your fat level.

If you are influenced by hormonal weight fluctuation, exercise weight fluctuations, sodium weight fluctuations due to suddenly eating take away (because if you're averaging well under 3K mg of sodium a day on an overall basis, on a day that you eat domino's you're certainly taking in much more sodium than usual), you are quite possibly driving yourself batty over a perfectly normal weight loss.

Please go back and plug in your weight numbers on a trending weight app (as previously discussed). Trendweight.com/weightgrapher.com/libra android/happy scale iphone are all known to work fairly well. Others may also exist.

How much are you actually losing?
  • Li5a87MFP
    Li5a87MFP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    One more thought - you say the fitbit is saying you regularly burn over 2,000 calories. Another member reviewed your diary for 30 days and said you averaged 1700 calories. If both numbers are accurate, that's (roughly) a 300 kcal deficit per day, which would translate to 2.5 pounds for the month (or just over half a pound per week). This could easily be "hidden" by water weight fluctuations thanks to sodium intake and TOM - particularly when you are only weighing once per week. I weigh daily, and my numbers can fluctuate up to 5 or 6 pounds from one day to the next depending on sodium intake.

It's hard not to keep changing things from one week to the next when you don't see the dramatic results you're hoping to see. Try to follow a set plan for 4 weeks as others have outlined above and see how it goes. Then you'll have a more accurate picture of how much you're eating and burning and where you need to make adjustments.

Good luck! :)
    One more thought - you say the fitbit is saying you regularly burn over 2,000 calories. Another member reviewed your diary for 30 days and said you averaged 1700 calories. If both numbers are accurate, that's (roughly) a 300 kcal deficit per day, which would translate to 2.5 pounds for the month (or just over half a pound per week). This could easily be "hidden" by water weight fluctuations thanks to sodium intake and TOM - particularly when you are only weighing once per week. I weigh daily, and my numbers can fluctuate up to 5 or 6 pounds from one day to the next depending on sodium intake.

It's hard not to keep changing things from one week to the next when you don't see the dramatic results you're hoping to see. Try to follow a set plan for 4 weeks as others have outlined above and see how it goes. Then you'll have a more accurate picture of how much you're eating and burning and where you need to make adjustments.

thank you yes that’s a good way of looking at it. i think i definitely need a consistent and sensible 4-6 weeks x
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Inches don't disappear because you're not getting results. I am starting to wonder if we just have a measuring our results problem.

Water retention makes weight fluctuate much faster than fluctuations caused by changes to your fat level.

If you are influenced by hormonal weight fluctuation, exercise weight fluctuations, sodium weight fluctuations due to suddenly eating take away (because if you're averaging well under 3K mg of sodium a day on an overall basis, on a day that you eat domino's you're certainly taking in much more sodium than usual), you are quite possibly driving yourself batty over a perfectly normal weight loss.

Please go back and plug in your weight numbers on a trending weight app (as previously discussed). Trendweight.com/weightgrapher.com/libra android/happy scale iphone are all known to work fairly well. Others may also exist.

since janurary:
    week one -4lbs
    week two +4lbs
    week theee -4lbs
    week four -1lb
    week five -1lb
    week six -1lb
    week seven -2lbs
    week eight - maintain
    week nine - maintain
    week ten - +7lbs
    week twelve -1lbs
    week eleven - +1lbs
    week twelve - +1lbs
    week thirteen -6lbs
    week fourteen +4lbs
    week fifteen +1lbs

maybe i need to look back at what i did week 4-7!!
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options

many thanks for this thought, very good point, my weekly weight loss records is posted above xx
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Li5a87MFP wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »

since janurary:
    week one -4lbs
    week two +4lbs
    week theee -4lbs
    week four -1lb
    week five -1lb
    week six -1lb
    week seven -2lbs
    week eight - maintain
    week nine - maintain
    week ten - +7lbs
    week twelve -1lbs
    week eleven - +1lbs
    week twelve - +1lbs
    week thirteen -6lbs
    week fourteen +4lbs
    week fifteen +1lbs

maybe i need to look back at what i did week 4-7!!

I would get the trendweight app and log daily if I were you, I actually think that will calm your anxiety over the weekly weigh ins and fluctuations. You are likely trending in the right direction but you can’t separate the signal from the noise.

Agree with all the above advice about starting fresh with reasonable goal rate of loss, accurate activity level, MFP recommendation for calorie target and trusting FitBit adjustments, maybe about 50% at first. Super agree with the advice about consistently using a food scale, and upgrading to a digital one.

With all this great advice just implement it, trust it, and then adjust after 6-8 weeks if the weight loss doesn’t occur.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Somehow i never had an issue with weightloss due to not logging 100%.
    Id say im about 85% and i lose every week. I never weigh a peace of toast if label say 100 calories. Or an apple , egg etc. I logg 72 cals for an egg every time.
    I weigh coffee creamer, butter..stuff that comes out of a container. But if it's pre measured or pre weighted for you i don't even bother. So i say,my accuracy is around 85% overall.
    But i have never had issues losing over it.
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    Kst76 wrote: »
    Somehow i never had an issue with weightloss due to not logging 100%.
    Id say im about 85% and i lose every week. I never weigh a peace of toast if label say 100 calories. Or an apple , egg etc. I logg 72 cals for an egg every time.
    I weigh coffee creamer, butter..stuff that comes out of a container. But if it's pre measured or pre weighted for you i don't even bother. So i say,my accuracy is around 85% overall.
    But i have never had issues losing over it.

have to say i have always done exactly the same and it’s never stopped me losing weight, i did it in the very beginning years ago but after a while you kind of get a good gage at things.
    i think i need to work out how many calories to eat for the exercise i’m doing to still be in a deficit and lose but sustain it, once i’ve done that i’ll be fine at hitting that calorie deficit by the methods iv usually used. x