Menopause and Motivation

Options
auntdlplank
auntdlplank Posts: 15 Member
edited April 2018 in Motivation and Support
Ok so Ive been on this site on and off for years, but find it difficult to find the motivation to keep making progress. One reason would be that at 51 years old Ive convinced myself that eh, Ive worked hard all my life, I deserve to slow down.

WELL, thats until menopause decided to rear its ugly, imposing self and disrupt my mental and physical (so called) well being. As I search the internet for "the 40 signs of menopause" I find that as time goes on, Im checking off more and more symptoms. Besdies the expected night sweats and weigh gain, I didn't realize that joint pain and big time lethargy would, at times, consume me.

I have a pretty demanding job (mentally) and I sit behind a desk for about 10 hours a day. I know I should get up and go for walk, but rationalize not doing so because I'm sure I wont have enough energy to get through the day. My nickname is Pit Pull at work and can tackle anything, but Im (self dubbed) Plankton in my personal life.

I have a membership to a gym but find that after a long day all I want to do is go home, take off the bra and shoes and relax to Netflix. Since menopause also has robbed me of restful sleep, on the weekends I once again find the stamina starting push to carry myself outside ever elusive. I have a friend who tries to motivate me (upon my request), but find excuses to get out of it.

Did I also mention that Ive had a total knee replacement about 5 years ago that is now affecting my hip? Or that now I have Psoriasis on the back of my neck? Woohoo, added bonuses. You have to love that the older we get, life does not, in fact, get easier.

One thing I am trying to push myself to do is go have a full physical and hope the doctors can wave a magic wand.

So, if anyone out there finds they can relate, I would love to hear from you and learn how you overcome this.

All the best,
Deena

Replies

• auntdlplank
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Post menopausal here.

Thank you jgnatca, my peak energy time is in the morning. Ive tried to exercise in the morning, but find that it wears me out sooner during my work day, which is super important to me too. I have a lot of responsibility. I will confess that Im hoping that when I have a full physical and get this menopause under some semblence of control, I will find more stamina. I agree with you about the lack of exercise, but I battle with physically pulling my butt out of the chair.
  • auntdlplank
    Options
    I didn't much like menopause, but once on the other side - wow. So great. :)

I was quite happy after my hysterectomy. Now I find so many other things going wrong and slowing me down. I thought that once I moved to my own apartment (adult child and his fiance moved on their own), I only dove headfirst more into my work, but not myself.

Why do I feel like Im spiraling with no firm direction?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I didn't much like menopause, but once on the other side - wow. So great. :)

I was quite happy after my hysterectomy. Now I find so many other things going wrong and slowing me down. I thought that once I moved to my own apartment (adult child and his fiance moved on their own), I only dove headfirst more into my work, but not myself.

Only you can answer that.

I find that once I make a commitment in the right direction, that becomes an upward spiral.
  • auntdlplank
    Options
    When I said spiraling I mean it feels like the menopause has changed me in a way that I wasn’t ready for and don’t understand. I’ve always been in control and it makes feel like I’m not. Am I alone in that feeling?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I did my weight loss (30lbs) during menopause (54). 64 now and kept the weight off, and just as importantly, kept active.

Aqua fit, swimming, or water walking/jogging is great during menopause because to doesn't raise your body temp temp up like land based exercises do, and you don't sweat quite the same.

I did my aqua fit in the evening and that helped with the hot flushes, and night sweats, it also made me physically tired and ready for bed.

I also had a cool pillow, this also helped with the night sweats.
    (My older sister bought one for the 3 of us as we are close enough in age that our menopauses overlapped :) )

I called myself Mrs Sloth (still do) as exercise was something I hated and had never done. However, I did realise that it was more my lack of movement that had caused my weight gain rather than an increase in food consumption, so I signed up for classes knowing if I had paid for it I would go.

A thorough check up is a great idea.

I would encourage getting more active as we lose our fitness level so much easier as we age but, when it comes down to it, it is a reasonable calorie deficit that will help the most with weight loss. Do make sure you get .8-1g of protein per lbs of lbm, or mid ideal BMI range. You need it for muscle retention and bone density.

Cheers, h.
  • auntdlplank
    Options
    Thank you so much.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You are giving up and giving in Pit Bull! Eat healthy and get greens in as well as fruits . Log it all too!. Take melatonin supplements for night time sleep and commit to small changes of activity.
    Get up out of your chair and walk outside for 10 lousy minutes or even 5 minutes. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon.
    Commit small and see how you feel and what progress you are capable of acheiving.
    Quit bathing in how you "feel" and move beyond that.
    I have been there and done that as a 61yo female. It can be done if you will it!
  • beecharmer55
    beecharmer55 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes! Menopause has changed everything. It's so much harder to do the physical things I used to. Aches and pains all the time. And so much harder to stay in shape.
  • alimk43
    alimk43 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You sound like my twin (except I'm 49 and my knees are fine!). I haven't found any answers yet either but I'm hoping that now the nights are longer I'll feel motivated to do more in the evening - if I'm active I'll snack less is the plan but whilst I think it - I don't necessarily do it. The joys of being a woman!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,182 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and have been in perimenopause for years now.

I gained weight in my late 40s and mistakenly thought that was just how things were when a person was in perimenopause. After letting myself go for a bit, I woke up and realised that that's not how things are.

So in 2015, when I was 48, I lost the weight. :)

In 2016, when I was 49, I resumed my long distance cycling and rode a 200 km or two, a 300 km, a 400 km, and attempted a 600 km randonnee but only made it to 400 km. I was recovering from the measles, and just didn't have the energy to complete the remaining 200 km.

I've been cycling long distances since ... just did a 200 km in Feb and a 300 km in early March. Plus a whole heap of shorter distances.

I talk about "motivation" in the last post on this page of this thread ...
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10655845/women-ages-50-for-april-2018/p64

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    When I said spiraling I mean it feels like the menopause has changed me in a way that I wasn’t ready for and don’t understand. I’ve always been in control and it makes feel like I’m not. Am I alone in that feeling?

Menopause can play games with your head. You can be anxious, for example, for no reason. It's something we all just have to work through. I have found that not everyone has the symptoms that I have. Here, in Italy, no one wants to talk about it. I always say that if men had these problems, there would have been more research done into menopause, and more help. It's always just brushed off as a problem that will pass, but it can be pure hell when you're going through it.
  • auntdlplank
    Options
    Thank you snowflake. It helps to hear that what I feel is not unique to me.
  • auntdlplank
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I do get out of the chair and I do walk but only about 2000 steps a day which is nothing. Getting past the physical complications are tough
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I am relating to everything aforementioned! ! Almost 49 here and struggling so much! My ability to be as active as I want is also hampered by spinal and nerve problems. I tried keto, that helped with hot flashes but fostered binges, too restrictive, now I'm doing lower carb , increased fruit and vegetables and not beating myself up for a treat. I do take herbal blend for the moods etc and it is taking the edge off
    Wishing you all luck and peace of mind!
  • auntdlplank
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Dsboohead, if I was giving up I wouldn’t be on here and asking how others got through it. It’s helpful to know that my feelings and symptoms are not unique.
    I appreciate the comments and I know what I need to do. It was more about trying to how others dealt with so much at once. Thank you for your insight
  • auntdlplank
    Options
    Laura cups, thank you. I’ve heard of the keto and will look into it.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Laura cups, thank you. I’ve heard of the keto and will look into it.

She said it made things worse and that she is now just eating a little lower carb.

I took Evening Primrose while I was going through it. It's supposed to help with symptoms. I don't know if it helped, but menopause is definitely uncomfortable.

Try to do something active today. See how you feel.