Have you ever reached a certain weight......

Options

Replies

• annemsexton
    annemsexton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    When I originally hit my pre-pregnancy goal weight after my first baby, I was not thrilled with my body composition. So I kept losing weight thinking it was the answer. I just looked more skinny. So I started lifting, gained 10 more lbs in muscle and fat to get back up to the same weight, and looked a lot better.

• takemetosingapore19
    takemetosingapore19 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think people’s expectations for looks at a certain weight are skewed. I know 150 on me would be very large and I am also tall. The average person my height is probably 160-170 since most people are overweight in my country. I know even though 130-140 is healthy at my height that I will not like the way I look until I dip into the 120s. I won’t go much below 130 because I am very tall for a girl, but I do want to go below 130 to get the thin and toned look I want :)
  • takemetosingapore19
    takemetosingapore19 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Kst76 wrote: »
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I think bodies just change,I'm nearly to goal weight but I don't remember having so much darn cellulite when I was at this weight before,also my stomach still looks"poofy"

Well, same here..lol
    But i was also 15 years younger last time.......

What happens when you age? Im scared of this and I’m only 19.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Options
    When I first dropped into the 120s I thought I was still fat. Looking back, I wasn't. I gained weight regardless because I was into lifting and did it on purpose. Now I weigh 20 lbs more and am struggling with the scale number and having a taste of once being lean, and afraid I'll never get back.

When I first got tiny, I wish I could have seen it.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I think bodies just change,I'm nearly to goal weight but I don't remember having so much darn cellulite when I was at this weight before,also my stomach still looks"poofy"

Well, same here..lol
    But i was also 15 years younger last time.......

What happens when you age? Im scared of this and I’m only 19.

Idk....i think age messes with people and the excuses are coming out.
    My skin was a little smoother 15 years ago. But i didn't have any easier time losing weight than now. Im 41 now.
  • amh927
    amh927 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost a lot of weight about 5 years ago. And I have all the clothes I was wearing at the time saved because I regained the weight. This time I weigh almost 10 lbs less than what I was then, and yet all those clothes don't fit me. I carry most of my weight in my stomach area. And every other time I've lost weight, that's where it's all come from. This time, it's coming more evenly in a sense. My legs have gotten slimmer, my arms have, etc. I think it's because before I lost the weight too quickly and I'm losing it at a healthy rate this time.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »
    I do know this feeling somewhat. Way back in 2001, I hit 237 lb and I felt "thin" which I know is crazy, but I was usually around 270-280. Anyway, at 237 and age 25, I look back at photos and I looked really good. My face especially looked thin and pointy. But when I was 35 and on my big "weight loss journey" I felt like I still didn't look great (IMO) at 237 lb. I started looking better around 218 in my opinion.

When I hit 165-166, I didn't expect to look as thin as I did. My legs looked very long and skinny compared to even at 170 lb. I know how nuts that sounds as it is a difference of only 4-5 lb but it's odd to me because I can really see a difference in photos. I've bounced around the 170s for several years now and very rarely dip into 168-169 at all, but when I do I can immediately see a marked difference in photos...as weird and unbelievable as that sounds.

I totally believe it. I'm only 5'4 and small framed so five lbs make a difference on me visually, and 10-15 are a huge difference, in fact 15 lbs is the difference between my highest and lowest weights ever and I look like two totally different people, I kid you not. I still don't understand how that is but photos show it, especially because weight seems to go to my face right away and really changes it.

Same here! I'm just a little over 5' and very small framed, so 10lbs makes a HUGE difference on me. 5lbs is the difference between being lean and being ultra lean.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I also think my preference has changed. I am good with the weight I am now but back when I was in my early twenties I would have thought I was too chubby. Lol. Back then I was 160 and thought that was fat and lost weight all the way down to 135, and now I’m 155 and totally fine with it.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    At 137 I actually thought I was pretty okay but kept pushing for a magic number. Half of my acquaintances said I looked great, others said I was too small in a not nice way (cultural issues of "big and thick" being preferred were at play). The sabotage, along with depression, got to me and I regained close to 15 lbs which I'm trying to work off. I'm 147 in my profile picture, and I think I look alright but not exactly there.
  • Kst76
    Options
    At 137 I actually thought I was pretty okay but kept pushing for a magic number. Half of my acquaintances said I looked great, others said I was too small in a not nice way (cultural issues of "big and thick" being preferred were at play). The sabotage, along with depression, got to me and I regained close to 15 lbs which I'm trying to work off. I'm 147 in my profile picture, and I think I look alright but not exactly there.

Why do people say " you don't look good" to somebody that is losing weight. I belive its jealousy that now you all of sudden is a threat to them somehow.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Why do people say " you don't look good" to somebody that is losing weight. I belive its jealousy that now you all of sudden is a threat to them somehow.

Meh. Sometimes people really worry that we're sick - not used to seeing people at a normal weight, not used to seeing us specifically at a normal weight, and - speaking only for myself here - I had some facial loose skin after losing, for a while, that made me look a bit haggard (I'm 62; takes a while for the skin to catch up - it's fine now). Are some resentful or threatened? Sure. IME, not all. YMMV.

True. In my case that was the smallest they've ever seen me and weren't used to it, plus as mentioned, cultural preference. I also come from a family where obesity is the norm.
  • Kst76
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Meh. Sometimes people really worry that we're sick - not used to seeing people at a normal weight, not used to seeing us specifically at a normal weight, and - speaking only for myself here - I had some facial loose skin after losing, for a while, that made me look a bit haggard (I'm 62; takes a while for the skin to catch up - it's fine now). Are some resentful or threatened? Sure. IME, not all. YMMV.

Then you simply ask. " I noticed you lost weight. I hope everything is ok.?" Then you say after its been confirmed that the person is not sick " you look great".
    You dont tell people they look sick or whatever.
    I think thats rude. :)
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    You also have to consider you may have gained/lost muscle since then. 150 lbs with 20% body fat vs 150 lbs with 30% body fat look vastly different. I have gained a lot of weight back from when I was down to my thinnest 4-5 years ago. I'm 5'4 and at my thinnest I was 120 lbs and size 0 doing all cardio (running and biking). If I were to try to get back down to that now, people would think I was anorexic due to the muscle I have now from strength training and lifting (my lean mass now is ~110-115 lbs). Body measurements and body fat percentage are much better indicators of health than weight.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have a photo (looking at it now, it’s on my mantle) from about 30 odd years ago. I’m at 150 in it, and I’m 149.5 today. I guess things have shifted over the years, lol, but I’m most definitely not happy with this weight now and am going for another 15 pounds....I think 15 should be about right. At this point I’m kinda flying by the seat of my pants.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm now the same weight I was 30 years ago, my body is actually in better shape now and I'm also two sizes smaller than I was way back then. Having more muscle has contributed to that.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh much less than I did back in November (maybe 5 pounds lost, currently 153), but I look dramatically different. My clothes fit different. I'm haven't dropped a full size yet, but pants that were tight before, need a belt now. My skin is smoother and the fat is less prominent.

Honestly with my current muscle mass I don't think my original goal (5'7", 128) is reasonable anymore, so I've revised it. I'll get to my new goal (140) and just reassess at that time (well, I kind of reassess constantly, but pretty sure my new goal is very reasonable).