At what point do you buy new clothes?

Options
13»

Replies

• celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have also taken in alot of clothes as they get baggier. If you have a sewing machine, you can take in an inch on the side of slacks from the waist down to the knees and get a few more months of wear from them. Same with tops. Good luck.
  • kynichol21
    Options
    When transiting through sizes like that my Mom bought some pants and shirts at the local goodwill. She would buy the half price items most of the time. She got some really great stuff but she would also buy a few things other places but at the next size down. She has gone from a 20 to a 10 so that is several sizes.
  • megan_mp
    megan_mp Posts: 77
    Options
    Shoot...I EARNED this smaller size! I consider new pants/shirts/etc a reward for my hard work. While I realize it can get expensive, I NEVER pay full price for clothes, no matter what. Old Navy has great stuff on their clearance racks, but I'm learning that MACY's has an incredible clearance rack that is usually an extra whatever % off.

Now that school is around the corner, there's plenty of places that are having great sales/deals. I usually grab a few good deals for me while I'm shopping for my kids' clothes too.

You earned that smaller size, honey, go ahead and find something to make your *kitten* look cute! :)
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started out a size 12 and have slowly whittled myself down to an 8. Now all of my size 8 jeans are too big but I am still losing.....I LOVE THIS but now I have clothes of all sizes!!! lol.....wondering when I should go get a size 6? Maybe now since even at my smallest I was never under a size 6. :-)

I also used to be a 12, then bought a new pair of jeans when I got to a 10. Then I went down to an 8 but didnt want to buy brand new jeans b/c I knew I would get smaller, so I went to goodwill and bought 4 pairs of pants size 8....now I wear a 6 or a 4, I went back to goodwill and have a size 4 pants & I still wear my 8's with a belt for a baggier look....Then once I hit my goal & maintain is when I will go out to buy brand new jeans!! :)

hope this helps! it has saved me a lot of money. I also went from L or M tops to S or XS. Its a lot of digging around but I usually find really cute and in good condition clothing at goodwill!
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    I buy as needed - essentially I have 4 bottoms for church/work. Only 3 are current size, The 4th is actually 2 sizes too big and I'm ready to ditch them, but haven't because a week like this when laundry wasn't done, I needed them - I have bought more current size shirts, but still limit the # because I'd rather have a whole new wardrobe when my journey is done. I bought motivational shorts in the spring - 4 pairs, which I am in currently.

Depending on needs, depends on how much to buy and when - my clothes was getting hideous looking for work and church and I got great deals on the shorts, so that determined when to purchase for me.
  • eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I shop at second hand stores. Not only are the prices great, but the selection is far beyond my previous Old Navy and Target wardrobe. You won't feel as bad buying a few sixes in the mean time if they cost $5 instead of $25.

I have clothes of all sizes in my closet. I WILL wear that 10, 8, 6 some day, and I can't pass them up when I find them so cheap second hand...especially the designer stuff.
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i would buy one pair of 6's just to wear when you want to feel extra sexy, PLUS it'll keep you motivated to shrink out of those, too!
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    NO IDEA! HAHA I am wearing a pair of jeans right now that are rolled down at the top like a pair of sweats. My husband keeps griping that I buy new clothes everytime I go down a size. So the next time he needs new clothes from going UP a size.. I'm going to throw a fit!!
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    I say thill they fall off.
  • JenCM
    JenCM Posts: 195
    Options
    I've gone from 368 and a size 30/32/34, to being in the 230's and wearing a size 22. I would have loved to have waited to buy clothes...but I couldn't. Stuff was falling off me so bad - I could pull up my pants while they were buttoned and zipped, and a slight breeze would blow them down - so that's my point. Unintended Public Nudity. That's when I need new clothes. lol. So I donated bags upon bags and re-shopped at the thrift store :) I hope once I get closer to my mini goal weight (170) to go buy something special and new from a nice store, like a great dress...but until then and probably after, I'll be a thrift store crawler! :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Once I have to keep pulling my pants up... I hate belts. For shirts, it's a lot easier to tell because you get the big gap and you start to look bigger instead of smaller.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You should get a couple new things so you feel nice, but nothign to expensive. I recently brough stuff to a consignment shop so I don't feel as bad for wasting money. I would also suggest buying some things there.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    I have also taken in alot of clothes as they get baggier. If you have a sewing machine, you can take in an inch on the side of slacks from the waist down to the knees and get a few more months of wear from them. Same with tops. Good luck.

I've done this too - taking in the side seams on blouses & slacks.
    This summer I went to Goodwill looking for Capris, but couldn't find any in my size, so I bought jeans and shortened them into capris. Required some stitching by hand, but the money I saved was worth the time spent
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!